Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    annie is offline Senior Member

Default Little Baby's Ice Cream to Cedar Park?

Cedar Park Neighbors
    Cedar Park Neighbors Invites you to a Community Zoning Meeting

February 21, 2013
    7:15 p.m.
    Calvary Community Center
    48th St. & Baltimore Avenue

Regarding: 4903 Catharine Street:
    Proposed Use: Little Baby’s Ice Cream Parlor

Please join the Cedar Park Neighbors Zoning Committee and the owners of Little Baby’s Ice Cream on February 21st to review the proposed plans to convert 4903 Catharine St. into a takeout ice cream parlor/restaurant on the first floor with vacant spaces on the second and third floor. A hearing is schedule before the Zoning Board of Adjustment on March 13th at 5:00 pm at 1515 Arch St. We welcome and need your feedback on this issue.

"
    Please come out and be informed
    Cedar Park Neighbors Calvary Community Center 4740 Baltimore Avenue, Phila., PA 19143
    267-531-4147 Cedar Park Neighbors

boognish is offline Senior Member

Wow!

rutibegga is offline Junior Member

This is very exciting! I grab their ice cream any time I catch them at events, so to be able to walk to their store would be dangerous (in a good way!)

theotherjen is offline Junior Member

This would be a fabulous addition to the neighborhood! I've got some in my freezer right now (thanks to Mariposa!).

As if they didn't already have me at Hello...

An Open Love Letter and Letter of Intent to the Citizens of the Cedar Park Neighborhood & Surrounding West Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. | Little Baby's Ice Cream

May this message serve as a Formal Announcement of Little Baby’s Ice Cream’s intention to open up a Little Baby’s Ice Cream Shop in West Philadelphia proper, within the area of Cedar Park.

This to-be-approved-of shop, to be named “Little Baby’s Ice Cream Cedar Park Embassy” (i.e. #LBIC #CPE), will, along with Little Baby’s Ice Cream World Headquarters (i.e. #LBIC #WHQ), serve as a destination for dessert seekers young and old to find our unique Hand-Made, Small-Batch, Super-Premium Philadelphia Style Ice Cream and Non-Dairy & Vegan Frozen Desserts, as well as our Hand-Made Cookies, Milkshakes, and everything else that our Future Selves dream up.

Little Baby’s Ice Cream, working with The Enterprise Center (4548 Market Street, Philadelphia, Pa 19139), has secured funding and drawn up a plan of action to open the doors of Little Baby’s Ice Cream Cedar Park Embassy in early spring 2013.

In the event that the various administrative offices of the City of Philadelphia approve us, and if the neighbors and neighborhood of Cedar Park will have us, Little Baby’s Ice Cream will continue, with the same level of Love and Care, to provide the same unique service west of the Schuylkill River that we do up on Frankford Avenue in East Kensington.

seand is offline Senior Member

Yes its awesome news. Way, way better than the deal-that-never-happened at 46th between Cedar Point ladies, the impatient landlord and Philly Flavors - each of which took turns being (ahem) a little difficult to wrangle by at least some accounts of folks involved.

thoth is offline I LOOK LIKE THIS

Guys, I have it on inside information that everyone's favorite stereotypical white, unwittingly-gentrifying hippies are now hip to this zoning meeting and likely planning to show up and protest ice cream driven gentrification. If you were previously planning on coming to this meeting, set a reminder or something.

Quote Originally Posted by thoth View Post
    Guys, I have it on inside information that everyone's favorite stereotypical white, unwittingly-gentrifying hippies are now hip to this zoning meeting and likely planning to show up and protest ice cream driven gentrification. If you were previously planning on coming to this meeting, set a reminder or something.
    Because a business that pays sales taxes and provides jobs for ice cream scoopers is so much worse than an empty store front for a signmaker who basically works out of his living room or his truck. Makes perfect sense.

First they get ice cream and then they want decent coffee and organic produce. Err . . . wait. They already have that, those no good gentrifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Because a business that pays sales taxes and provides jobs for ice cream scoopers is so much worse than an empty store front for a signmaker who basically works out of his living room or his truck. Makes perfect sense.

First they get ice cream and then they want decent coffee and organic produce. Err . . . wait. They already have that, those no good gentrifiers.
    I didn't say it made sense. Just make sure you get some people out to the zoning meeting.

If they live in the 300 ft. radius the white-hippies-with-an-alarming-lack-of-self-reflection have as much of a right to complain as any other neighbor within the 300 ft. If they don't live in the 300 ft. nothing they say will count one whit in CPN's zoning recommendation anyway.

Having a consistant policy has its advantages.

But yeah, if you are an immediate neighbor and not a completely insane hypocrite, please show up. If you are a completely insane gentrification hypocrite and don't live in the very immediate area, please stay home, as your rants will not be given any weight by the ZBA anyway.

I didn't say it made sense. Just make sure you get some people out to the zoning meeting.
    Wait, so that first part wasn't a joke?

Darn those Philadelphia-based, local ingredient sourced hipster delicious icecream makers anyway. What are they trying to do, start an urban industry employing people, like the ice cream equivalent of a craft brewer or something. How dare they start to manufacture something new in the city of Philadelphia in an environmentally sustainable way.

*mock shaking fist*

I am no longer able to be surprised by improbable anti-gentrification arguments from non-self-reflective-gentrifiers.

It may have disappeared when they threw paint baloons at the super community-minded cafe/restaurant owned by the local gay couple who had been running a local business around the neighborhood in one form or the other for the last 30 years. You know, the Gold Standard who you hear is supplying the snacks gratis for people answering the phones on like every WHYY pledge break? Remember that one?
    Last edited by seand; 02-18-2013 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by annie View Post
    Wait, so that first part wasn't a joke?

sadly no. I think the one guy lives outside of the 300ft radius though.

Jayfar is offline Junior Old Fart

I just knew when this thread first started that someone would rise up in opposition, just because that's how we roll in Philly. Not the slightest bit surprised.
    “Guys like you I would dispatch with my roofing axe.” -- BootsywannabeACretin

MariusPontmercy is offline poor grad student

Wait, there's actually opposition to this? I can't tell anymore with all the sarcasm.

Now if there was only something that could be done with 4901 Catherine...
    "imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations hath diverse names" - Thomas Hobbes

Malloy is offline Administrator

I had their Peanut Chew vanilla molasses Saturday night. O M G
    Like PS on Facebook!

If they live in the 300 ft. radius the white-hippies-with-an-alarming-lack-of-self-reflection have as much of a right to complain as any other neighbor within the 300 ft. If they don't live in the 300 ft. nothing they say will count one whit in CPN's zoning recommendation anyway.

Having a consistant policy has its advantages.

But yeah, if you are an immediate neighbor and not a completely insane hypocrite, please show up. If you are a completely insane gentrification hypocrite and don't live in the very immediate area, please stay home, as your rants will not be given any weight by the ZBA anyway.
    Sean, does CPN consider business owners within the 300 ft, or is it just residents?

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Marvelous View Post
    Sean, does CPN consider business owners within the 300 ft, or is it just residents?
    I think all stakeholders in the immediate area have input.

To be clear, I'm not a zoning person and as far as I know the CPN zoning committee weights the input of immediate neighbors because thats the ZBA's policy. People outside the immediate area can voice their feeling yay or nay but the point of these meetings is to gauge the input of immediate neighbors.

People 5 blocks away can hate hardware stores or think the neighborhood desperately needs a hardware store but its the people next door that have to deal with contractors loading up on lumber at the loading dock at 7 am - or on the flip side the consequences of a boarded up store front (as a hypothetical example).

Quote Originally Posted by MariusPontmercy View Post

Now if there was only something that could be done with 4901 Catherine...
    A little bird told me the Sidecar folks were looking very seriously but the currrent owner suddenly drastically shifted his bargaining position very late in the negotiatons.

A little bird told me the Sidecar folks were looking very seriously but the currrent owner suddenly drastically shifted his bargaining position very late in the negotiatons.
    You mean to tell me we could be having this fight instead of squabbling over ice cream-based gentrification?!