Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    annie is offline Senior Member

boognish is offline Senior Member

This is the greatest thing I've heard all week.

Thanks for the heads up!

Zigster is offline Senior Member

unreal. I feel bad for Mid-Atlantic, though.

walnuthill is offline Senior Member

That location is really terrible. It's such a no-man's land after work hours and on weekends. I wish them luck though, and will have to try it out!

Although the location is somewhat awkward, it's only about a block or so from Chili's and Abner's. Mid-Atlantic failed because it simply wasn't very good.

Han Dynasty is a real draw.

walnuthill is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by boognish View Post
    Although the location is somewhat awkward, it's only about a block or so from Chili's and Abner's. Mid-Atlantic failed because it simply wasn't very good.

Cool, I look forward to being proven wrong! I will definitely check it out when it opens.

Ptolemy is offline Member
    Spruce Hill, University City, Philadelphia.

Oh, I disagree, I really liked Mid-Atlantic. The pork chop was so good it was in my opinion gorgeous.
    The plate of local cheeses and relishes was something a real connoisseur could appreciate, but not so exciting to your average Drexel or Penn student.

However I will concede that Mid-Atlantic was pricey. It was an upscale take on regional Pennsylvania and even "Pennsylvania Dutch" cuisine ... not a very exotic or intriguing cuisine. Even the name "Mid-Atlantic" is kinda blah ... sounds like a local AAA office.

But I love good Chinese food, so this may be a blessing in disguise!

They had some decent food, but the execution was spotty at best. Add in some poor management & over-inflated pricing and you've got yourself a disaster in the making. Daniel Stern simply had too many balls in air to juggle. Rae failed, R2L underachieves, and Mid-Atlantic was like his red-headed bastard.

I really wanted the spot to succeed, but I had too many disappointments there to make it a regular stop. Great beer-pricing at happy hour. Too bad the oysters were crummy (I love oysters).

lewblum is offline Dismember

Mid-Atlantic was a strange concept that they were never able to hit the bullseye on. PA Dutch-Chesapeake-Virginiana???
    I went when they first open and was so underwhelmed that I never went back. But I did manage to go for a party the week before they closed and thought they actually managed to step up their game. The food was awesome.

With that said, I think if any restaurant can succeed here Handy Nasty is one of them. People will go out of their way to come here, unlike Mid-Atlantic.

In terms of the bigger picture, there needs to be residential uses mixed into the Science Center to help support this kind of ground floor commercial space.

BarryG is offline Senior Member

Michael Klein tweeted that the deal isn't signed yet for the space.

Han has a knack for going into less than ideal locations and succeeding... the Old City location actually kind of sucks but yes people seek it out. I think he'll do well in the MA spot.

Also both the Old City and Manayunk locations were former restaurants that he did very little, if any, remodeling to.

lewblum is offline Dismember

Quote Originally Posted by BarryG View Post

Also both the Old City and Manayunk locations were former restaurants that he did very little, if any, remodeling to.
    Yeah, that basement in the Old City one is something else.

Ptolemy is offline Member
    Spruce Hill, University City, Philadelphia.

... Too bad the oysters were crummy (I love oysters)...
    I also LOVE oysters.

I find myself heading to South Philly to Snockey's for raw clams and oysters which are usually (but not always!) good ... Cape May Salts, Blue Points, Chesapeakes, James River and the wonderful Rappahannock River oysters. They have a "clammy hour" from 4 - 6 PM when clams are 60 cents and oyster are 80 cents (1:30PM - 4 PM on Sat/Sun). You gotta be careful with raw shellfish though ... a bad one will be served every once in a while.

Thanks for the headsup! I've always meant to try Snockey's out, so this is a great push in that direction. Maybe later this week I'll hit Federal Donuts for chicken and stop in Snockey's for a snack.

onlyone is offline Senior Member

There's a new oyster bar next to White Dog also. Anyone know if it's any good?

Is that open already? The name escapes me, but it's the second location for that place. Seemed a little sterile from their website, but I haven't actually been yet.

Any other places in W Philly doing oysters?

onlyone is offline Senior Member

Is that open already? The name escapes me, but it's the second location for that place. Seemed a little sterile from their website, but I haven't actually been yet.

Any other places in W Philly doing oysters?
    Not sure. Haven't been down Sansom St in awhile.

westisthebest is offline Member

Dan Dan Noodles are soooooo good here!!!!!

annie is offline Senior Member

We went a few weeks ago. The place was packed, and we were the only non-Asians in the whole place.

Han is hilarious, as he has no censor button.

Hmmmm...maybe we'll swing by tonight.

seand is offline Senior Member

I love that their website URL reads "Handy Nasty" when I first look at it, vaguely making me think I'm going to the wrong type of site entirely.