Register
+ Reply to Thread
    zoimu is offline Member

Default Artist studio spaces/buildings

Does anyone know if there are any artist studio buildings or just studio spaces for rent in West Philly and where are they?

Bob_Head is offline Immoderat0r

Quote Originally Posted by zoimu View Post
    Does anyone know if there are any artist studio buildings or just studio spaces for rent in West Philly and where are they?
    These things tend to segregate by discipline, but there are several. The Philadelphia Traction Company, at 41st and Haverford was talking about opening up space to other artists a while back.

You might want to contact the fine folk at the Philadelphia Open Studios Tour to see if they can point you in the right direction.
    Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine.

zoimu is offline Member

Good idea, I have been searching post's website to see if I could find some, but maybe I will just contact them directly.

I guess I was vague. We are visual artist mainly 2 dimensional... Drawing... Painting...and public art but still mostly 2 dimensional.

annie is offline Senior Member

I assume you know about this: 40th Street AIR

Gladys is offline Senior Member

i've been looking for a decent classical music practice space for rent. any ideas?
    "If you're going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh; otherwise they'll kill you."
    - attributed to both George Bernard Shaw & Oscar Wilde

"I never clean up after my dogs, because I have trained them to run with me off leash while I ride my bike the wrong way on the sidewalk."
    - LUCas
    Originally Posted by Dave L We need to focus on banning both singers who crap on the sidewalk and dogs that annoy people with their singing. - Mondo

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    i've been looking for a decent classical music practice space for rent. any ideas?
    What? You don't have a shower? Or is it just too small for your accompanist's piano?

zoimu is offline Member

Yes I know about the 40th st AIR. Was thinking for something more permanent... Unless the building also offers studios out side of the residency program.

Gladys is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Head View Post
    What? You don't have a shower? Or is it just too small for your accompanist's piano?
    Good God! I just want to be a good neighbor. I've often thought it would be a great business model to have a studio space for rent by the hour to practice and teach. Admittedly i miss that about nyc.

Besides my philly bathroom is WAY too small for the baby grand i had in my nyc studio bathtub!
    "If you're going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh; otherwise they'll kill you."
    - attributed to both George Bernard Shaw & Oscar Wilde

"I never clean up after my dogs, because I have trained them to run with me off leash while I ride my bike the wrong way on the sidewalk."
    - LUCas
    Originally Posted by Dave L We need to focus on banning both singers who crap on the sidewalk and dogs that annoy people with their singing. - Mondo

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    Good God! I just want to be a good neighbor. I've often thought it would be a great business model to have a studio space for rent by the hour to practice and teach. Admittedly i miss that about nyc.

Besides my philly bathroom is WAY too small for the baby grand i had in my nyc studio bathtub!
    I'm sure any neighbor would be thrilled to hear you sing.

Most of the places I know of are more for bands, and are all right around $15/hr. Friends bands generally work out of Surreal Sound Studios or East Side in Manayunk (215) 482-4821. You're not going to get a real piano at either, but Surreal has an electric piano. Not sure if east side has one. If you want something closer, check Settlement and see if they can arrange something with one of their rooms.

allarevessels is offline Member

Back around July/August I met with a woman that was putting together art spaces on the east side entry of the giant Church at 43rd and Chestnut. Sorry I no longer have the contact info. As I recall, the price was good and the people were nice...bright space, high ceiling You may want to stop by, knock on the door or drop a note.