Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    the_wza is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by annie View Post
    782 s. 52nd street philadelphia pa - Google Maps

After the Francis Funeral Home, S. 52nd Street is residential until you get to Apple Storage.
    Got it, I thought you were talking about the North side of Baltimore, which is also in the 700s.

seand is offline Senior Member

But from the begining of the Apple Storage lot till the bridge over the R3 tracks is marked "loading only" for trucks delivering to the non-functioning Apple Lofts building currently. Factor in the 93 spots proposed for the lot behind the Apple Lofts building and going residential would actually be an increase in parking for nearby residents in all likelihood. Of course if it were actually functioning industrial you could have semis idling there for hours. Mmmm. Deisel fumes.

annie is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by the_wza View Post
    Got it, I thought you were talking about the North side of Baltimore, which is also in the 700s.
    Well, the early part of the 700s (Catharine to Baltimore) has homes on it, too.

Just noticed that the date is wrong in the heading of this thread. Can that be edited, just to eliminate further confusion?

Yes, there are homes on 52nd from Catherine to Baltimore, my point was that they are primarily rental properties.

Go back to the start of the thread: the title of the thread refers to another 52nd Street development meeting and then I replied that the CPN Apple Lofts meeting was the following day. We have been discussing this project for two months (a blink of an eye in Point Breeze development time but whatever).

Go back to the start of the thread: the title of the thread refers to another 52nd Street development meeting and then I replied that the CPN Apple Lofts meeting was the following day. We have been discussing this project for two months (a blink of an eye in Point Breeze development time but whatever).
    My bad, I thought I was in the other thread. Thanks for clarifying (for the easily confused, such as myself.)

I heard that there's going to be a meeting on Monday the 20th at 6:30 p.m. at the Francis Funeral Home (5201 Whitby Avenue) about establishing a neighborhood association for west of 52nd Street if anyone is interested. (Shawn Kelly not responsible for initiating it which makes sense because he lives east of 52nd). I don't have any further info but good luck to everyone participating - hope it's productive.

Well its about time. Makes so much sense, since its basically required to be registered with the city if you actually want developers to have someone to contact.

I heard that there's going to be a meeting on Monday the 20th at 6:30 p.m. at the Francis Funeral Home (5201 Whitby Avenue) about establishing a neighborhood association for west of 52nd Street if anyone is interested. (Shawn Kelly not responsible for initiating it which makes sense because he lives east of 52nd). I don't have any further info but good luck to everyone participating - hope it's productive.
    Haven't heard a peep about it at 53rd and Webster which leads me to believe it will just be a bunch of cronies (and I'm not one of them.) Frankly, that's troublesome to me because I know Mr. Francis does not represent me.

Out of curiosity, how many people that read this know anyone, personally, that lives west of 52nd St., Cobbs Creek specifically? I started a blog myself to try to drum up interest in a more youthful/internet savvy crowd than I have come to know from my block captains meeting but I'm curious if people would be willing to spread the word to other Cobbs Creek neighbors, if they know any.

Here's the link, for now. As you can see I haven't been updating it very regularly but any help in spreading the word would be greatly appreciated, and will definitely motivate me to make this a high priority. And please share any suggestions, this is not my forte, but I really want to get more people engaged this side of 52nd st.

I know a few and was considering moving to a house on the 5200 block of Larchwood at one point. But most of those folks would not be considered "real" residents by some. There are also some folks who join CPN anyway specifically because there is no organization west of 52nd.

People sometimes use 50th or 52nd as kind of code but my experience is there are a number of blocks there where if we had moved we would not have been the first white family on the block.

thoth is offline I LOOK LIKE THIS

I met David Oh a couple times, does that count?

Out of curiosity, how many people that read this know anyone, personally, that lives west of 52nd St., Cobbs Creek specifically?

My daughter's preschool is moving west of 52nd in the next two weeks and one of her frequent playmates lives on a 5300 block, its not the Continental Divide.

My friend is moving to 5400 Osage in a few months.

Out of curiosity, how many people that read this know anyone, personally, that lives west of 52nd St., Cobbs Creek specifically?
    A couple. I'll direct them to your site.

P.S. You might want to add information about who you are and how to contact you on the blog. Unless that's all there now and I missed it.
    Last edited by annie; 03-10-2012 at 09:54 AM.

sudama is offline Junior Member

I have friends who fit that description & have passed along the link.

Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    I know a few and was considering moving to a house on the 5200 block of Larchwood at one point. But most of those folks would not be considered "real" residents by some.
    I get that from time to time too, but thankfully not from my immediate neighbors. I say tough. I bought a house that sat vacant for a year before I got there and now I pay taxes. It's not a contest where the longer you've been there the more you deserve to. If that were the case I could tout the fact that I have relatives in their 70s that grew up one block from where I live now. But I don't because it's all irrelevant.

A couple. I'll direct them to your site.

P.S. You might want to add information about who you are and how to contact you on the blog. Unless that's all there now and I missed it.
    There is an about page, which I made some changes to per your suggestions. Thanks. Unless you were just asking for your own curiosity, in which case, my name is Larissa. I've lived here for 6 years. Nice to meet you.

http://cobbscreekneighbors.blogspot....bout-ccna.html
    Last edited by the_wza; 03-13-2012 at 01:18 PM. Reason: added the link

I get that from time to time too, but thankfully not from my immediate neighbors. I say tough. I bought a house that sat vacant for a year before I got there and now I pay taxes. It's not a contest where the longer you've been there the more you deserve to. If that were the case I could tout the fact that I have relatives in their 70s that grew up one block from where I live now. But I don't because it's all irrelevant.
    Maureen Tate at CPN was born and raised in the neighborhood. Her husband's father was one of founding members of Cedar Park Neighbors 50 years ago. People often trip up and cause her some amusement with phrases like "long time residents" or "original residents" to mean something else. They sort of forget that believe or not, even at the heighth of "white flight" a significant number of families stayed right where they were. Not that it should matter, anyway.

Fairly regularly someone comments to me about "being new to the neighborhood" and in almost any other city in the country, after living in the neighborhood for 12 years, that would just start to sound silly, especially from somebody who is only in their 20's themselves. But people have a funny way of measuring that here in Philly.

Empty your inbox, sean.

Maureen Tate at CPN was born and raised in the neighborhood. Her husband's father was one of founding members of Cedar Park Neighbors 50 years ago. People often trip up and cause her some amusement with phrases like "long time residents" or "original residents" to mean something else. They sort of forget that believe or not, even at the heighth of "white flight" a significant number of families stayed right where they were. Not that it should matter, anyway.

Fairly regularly someone comments to me about "being new to the neighborhood" and in almost any other city in the country, after living in the neighborhood for 12 years, that would just start to sound silly, especially from somebody who is only in their 20's themselves. But people have a funny way of measuring that here in Philly.

Nine years in West Philly this August which equals my whole adult life. Though I've accepted that I'm going to have to have decades more of adult life before that flies anywhere in Philly. I think it was Greg Avakian who at a meeting surprised a lot of cranky neighbors by referencing "don't go past the Purple Fox."