Register
+ Reply to Thread
    boognish is offline Senior Member

Default Replacing an electric meter...

We recently bought a house, and unfortunately the meter box needs to be replaced. It looks like something heavy fell on it at some point. I was under the impression that it was PECO's responsibility to fix it, but apparently it's not. I know a local electrician who's semi-retired and very good at what he does, but he doesn't want anything to do with replacing it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a capable electrician who could handle this task? Any idea about how much something like that would cost? I wouldn't mind if he replaced the exterior cable that connects the meter to the public wires as well if it's a safety concern.

Thanks folks.

stock is offline Senior Member

It's called a meter socket. We can do it.

thestockgroup.net or facebook/thestockgroup.
    Chris
    Philadelphia Salvage
    Design Build

542 Carpenter Lane - Retail and Custom
    2234 W. Westmoreland "The Foundry"

"Anyone who would trade their freedom for safety
    deserves neither freedom or safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for the reply. I'll be in touch shortly.

cheers

Gen 3 Electric is offline Senior Member

Hi Boognish,

Be careful around that meter. It is before any type of fuse. If that meter box is crushed it can become dangerously electrified. Replacing it should not be too big of a job for any local electricians. It is often a good idea to replace your whole service at the same time you replace you meter. All the parts in a service are designed to have the same life span. Good luck.

Hi Gen 3,

Thanks for all the info. I'd actually like to swap out my 100 amp service for a 200, so I appreciate the heads up. I was considering a sub-panel, but I might just do an entire upgrade.

thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by boognish View Post
    Hi Gen 3,

Thanks for all the info. I'd actually like to swap out my 100 amp service for a 200, so I appreciate the heads up. I was considering a sub-panel, but I might just do an entire upgrade.

thanks again.
    Most home owner are typically beters serviced to have the entire system upgraded at on time. I would be happy to answer any questions you might about this type of work. 200 amps is the new standard for new construction and will not hurt you to over do it. In Philly 100 amps is more then enough for most homes current needs. My personal feeling about sub-panels is they are more of a band aide then a real solution Sub-panel can bea less exspensive option up front. In the long run I think they become more of a problem for most home owners.

Braveheart is offline Mismember

Quote Originally Posted by Gen 3 Electric View Post
    Hi Boognish,

Be careful around that meter. It is before any type of fuse. If that meter box is crushed it can become dangerously electrified. Replacing it should not be too big of a job for any local electricians. It is often a good idea to replace your whole service at the same time you replace you meter. All the parts in a service are designed to have the same life span. Good luck.
    " Be careful around that meter. It is before any type of fuse ".

Stop scaring people, they have enough to be scared of this close to Halloween.

Quote Originally Posted by Braveheart View Post
    " Be careful around that meter. It is before any type of fuse ".

Stop scaring people, they have enough to be scared of this close to Halloween.
    Good point. There is no need to be scared this close to Halloween. I only meant to give a bit of practical advice. Meter sockets are not to be feared. You need to have a healthy bit of respect for them when they are physically damaged or become unattached from a building. Boognish described the meter as damaged. In this case it is a good idea to not touch it until it gets repaired. There is a difference between fear and respect. A damaged meter socket needs to be treated with some caution. Sorry if it read any differently.

Braveheart is offline Mismember

Just busting your shoes Bill, been a while since I've seen you and hope you're doing great. However I do find myself walking
    a wider path from the meter along my side walkway, what with the full moon and all. I 'll send an email.

Quote Originally Posted by Braveheart View Post
    Just busting your shoes Bill, been a while since I've seen you and hope you're doing great. However I do find myself walking
    a wider path from the meter along my side walkway, what with the full moon and all. I 'll send an email.
    Thanks for the reply. I don't ever want to scare people. It happens too often in this industry. Don't worry you don't need to talk a wider path around your meter. Everthing is designed to be safe. That is as long as it is not crushed.

I have been good. I just sort of forgot to check into Phillyspeaks. It is a great community. I guess I was play with facebook too much.