Register
+ Reply to Thread
    Vegan Matt is offline Junior Member

Default Clark Park Shooting?

I was playing in Clark park with my toddler yesterday, and it seems there was a shooting on the basketball court. It was bizarre. After we heard the shot everyone just went about their business. Kids kept playing on the playground 20 feet from the court. I assumed it was a car backfiring until police cars swarmed the area and an ambulance showed up. Anyone have details?

SteelyPan is offline Junior Member

There definitely was a shooting. I live a mere 200 feet from the basketball courts and pulled up in my car just after, to find a slew of cops with yellow tape etc. amidst a seemingly indifferent park full of people. Adding to the bizarre-ness were the fact that flute music/ the mister softee truck could still be heard, like on any spring day. I know we all live in a big city and no block is guaranteed safe, but right there!?! I also don't understand why I haven't been able to find anything on the net besides this one post...

msann is offline Junior Member

There is some discussion of the incident on the Clark Park tot lot google group if you are members. There are not a lot more details though.

monkeyajb is offline Member

Default Daily Pennsylvanian

This is the only real mention I've seen.

No arrests in Clark Park attack | The Daily Pennsylvanian

Sharkfood is offline Senior Member

No arrests in Clark Park attack

by Jenny Chung | Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Printable Version ShareThis

At about 3:15 p.m. Saturday, four unknown males attacked a 25-year-old man on the Clark Park basketball courts.

According to Philadelphia Police spokeswoman Officer Christine O’Brien, the victim was sitting on a bench located inside the court when a group of males approached him from behind and struck him on the back of his head with a gun.

Once the victim fell to the ground, the assailants, whom O’Brien described as four black males between the ages of 16 and 20, then proceeded to kick and punch him numerous times. One of the assailants shot the victim in the right knee before fleeing on foot with the others.

The victim was admitted to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania to receive treatment for the knee wound and is now in stable condition.

O’Brien said no arrests have been made thus far.

CrustyZombie is offline Member

wow also surprised more has not been said about this. hope the guy is doing okay. I hear the knee is one of the most painful places to get shot.

phillyfanatic is offline Senior Member

The basketball courts should be removed and then there will be less of a reason for the criminal element to come to the park.

Dayman is offline Champion of the Sun

Basketball now attracts criminal elements?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Paine
    “The World is my country, all Mankind are my brethren, and to do Good is my religion.”

bernie25 is offline Banned

>the assailants, whom O’Brien described as four black males between the ages of 16 and 20

no way..i would have never guessed!

SteelyPan is offline Junior Member

Remove the courts? There are better things to spend money on, like potholes or hmmm maybe gun control. Easier said than done, I know, but the courts are a community resource, and I guarantee you there have been young black males using those courts for far longer than the clark park assoc. has been around or most people now living in that neighborhood have been there. We all know there is a crisis among young urban black males this country, so, Bernie, your comment is uncalled for.

seand is online now Senior Member

#1 With lack of information, I'm very, very doubtful that this wasn't a previous grudge being settled. It usually is. Unfortunately in this city with an epidemic of violence, people with grudges catch up with each other whereever they can. They don't care, sadly. The only thing that will make these broken young men stop from settling scores in public spaces is more of the public stepping forward and ID-ing shooters. They might have known the guy they were looking for would be at the court but the courts weren't empty were they? Someone has a specific ID for who the shooters are.

#2 In the real world, Philly probably needs more public basketball courts, not less, but they probably should be a fairly regular stop on routine police patrols.

Dayman is offline Champion of the Sun

Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    #2 In the real world, Philly probably needs more public basketball courts, not less, but they probably should be a fairly regular stop on routine police patrols.
    Any place where teens congregate should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Paine
    “The World is my country, all Mankind are my brethren, and to do Good is my religion.”

phillysw is offline Senior Member

FYI, TheFuzz posted this to his twitter feed.

Vernon Knight. Wanted for Saturdays shooting in Clark Park. If seen call 911 asap...

CenterCityGuy is offline Senior Member

A friend of mine who moved here from Denver asked me

"why are people in Philly so Angry"

tdsmsh is offline Junior Member

"Clark Park shooter arrested yesterday..."

Twitter / Joseph Murray: Clark Park shooter arreste ...

Maybe he can get a In house neck tattoo , they always look so good

olneydiaspora is offline Junior Member

Looks like the alleged shooter was also arrested in June 2009 for an incident in March 2009. Very similar charges (attempted murder, conspiracy, firearms charges, etc.) but dismissed in August 2009 for lack of prosecution.

Preliminary hearing scheduled for May 3. He is still in custody. Bail has been set at $150,000 (10% would need to be posted for release).

ignutzz is offline Junior Member

what is the defendant/shooter's name (or CP number)? I'd like to track the progress. thanks!

Anyone may track here:
    Common Pleas Docket Sheet
    (click on Search Type, choose participant name, click on Docket Type, choose criminal)

His name is Vernon Knight.
    Two persons pop up who have this name, but you can tell who we are talking about from the birthdate (1991).