Register
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: iTunes Help!

EstrellaAzul is offline Member

Default iTunes Help!

Hi everyone,

Can anyone please help with a PC-Mac-iTunes-technical-help plea? I am currently using an 8-year-old PC. While attempting to update to iTunes 11.0.1, my PC wiped out the entire program and did not install the update. iTunes is gone. I've been planning on getting a Mac anyway, so now seems like a good time. So... Question: will I be able to use the iTunes software on the new computer with my iPod and current iTunes username, since I technically did not "deauthorize" my PC - iTunes just disappeared?? Please, if anyone knows, I really appreciate it! I've been told you have to deauthorize one computer with your iTunes account before using another, and I'm wondering if that's true. Since the program disappeared, I kinda CAN'T! Thanks!

radiocolin is online now Senior Member

Yes. You get 5 authorized computers, and once per year you can deauthorize all other computers.

Cool - thanks so much! I didn't know that. My PC has been slowly but surely becoming unreliable, so I'm ready for a change. We're all-Apple at work, so I'm good to go with a Mac. I would just be SO upset if I lost all my music. Thanks again!!

RittenhouseGirl is offline Senior Member

Estrella, I can't tell you how many times I repurchased songs in the past when moving to a new computer. I don't know if iTunes had the 5-computer rule in the past, but I was never able to import old purchases until recently. You will be good now. I recently was able to reupdate all of my old purchases to my new computer. Yayyy.

My iPod is almost seven years old now and going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by RittenhouseGirl View Post
    Estrella, I can't tell you how many times I repurchased songs in the past when moving to a new computer. I don't know if iTunes had the 5-computer rule in the past, but I was never able to import old purchases until recently. You will be good now. I recently was able to reupdate all of my old purchases to my new computer. Yayyy.

My iPod is almost seven years old now and going strong.
    Being allowed to re-download purchased music is a relatively recent addition. I think it came about in 2010 or 2011.

Sorry for the delayed response... Was sick all week and haven't logged in. I know what you both mean... Several friends also had to repurchase songs when moving to a new computer. I was thinking, though... If I back up my music library to a flash drive, wouldn't I just be able to open the song files on the new computer and add them to that library? Wondering if that's allowed...

I wish my iPod had as great longevity as yours, RGirl. I had the little square Nano, and it came with 3 buttons - power and volume. 2 out of the 3 buttons broke. It's out of warranty, so I just got a new one.

You can copy them yourself, yes. Especially now, because all music sold on iTunes is now DRM-free, so the authorization bull**** only applies to movies/tv/books/apps.

But that point is moot now because since 2011 you can redownload purchases for free.

citykid is offline Senior Member

I lost a whole bunch of songs several years ago (some purchased on iTunes before a certain date and some that I had transferred--with hours and hours of work--from CDs onto my iPod/iTunes library). Never did figure out what I did wrong--I pushed some sync/unsync button by mistake--and could never recover them. Now I don't trust myself doing anything on iTunes and am forced to rely on the music/techno expertise of my teenagers. I dread the thought of ever getting a new computer....

Quote Originally Posted by citykid View Post
    I lost a whole bunch of songs several years ago (some purchased on iTunes before a certain date and some that I had transferred--with hours and hours of work--from CDs onto my iPod/iTunes library). Never did figure out what I did wrong--I pushed some sync/unsync button by mistake--and could never recover them. Now I don't trust myself doing anything on iTunes and am forced to rely on the music/techno expertise of my teenagers. I dread the thought of ever getting a new computer....
    You can now go to the iTunes store, and click on purchases, and redownload anything you have ever purchased.

citykid is offline Senior Member

I tried that, but no purchases from before a certain date showed up. I think what may have happened is that at some point I reinstalled iTunes or thought I was updating it and entered new and different registration information (password, etc). Live and learn.

rojnish is offline Senior Member

Hi Folks,
    I got a new computer with Windows 8 on it (not in love so far I gotta tell you) and I cannot figure out how to get my iTunes library to show up. The iTunes page looks entirely different from before. It does say this computer is authorized, but I can't find my music. Any help/ideas/advice? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by rojnish View Post
    Hi Folks,
    I got a new computer with Windows 8 on it (not in love so far I gotta tell you) and I cannot figure out how to get my iTunes library to show up. The iTunes page looks entirely different from before. It does say this computer is authorized, but I can't find my music. Any help/ideas/advice? Thanks in advance.
    Upper right: Go to the iTunes store.

Right side, under Quick Links: Click on purchased.

To make it look like old iTunes: View > Sidebar.

As always, Radiocolin, I thank you and bow to you. You have helped me on numerous occasions. I am now set to go with my new laptop and iTunes. But I ask you, how on earth did they expect someone to figure that out?

Good morning again, Radiocolin.
    So after you helped me successfully see all of my library on iTunes, I logged on this morning only to find that all my songs (800 plus) were gone, and all that was left in my library were the albums I just recently purchased. I'm so confused. Also, what will happen if I sync my iPhone with my iTunes? My iPhone currently has the ENTIRE music library on it. Thanks for your ongoing help.