Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    PhilaCap is offline Senior Member

They have the internet on computers now.

Lolly is offline your neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by dr_gingivitis View Post
    The wife and I both got Dell 14Z series a few months back and have been very happy with them. Zs are their light/narrow ones. I bought the highest end Inspiron Z, got her something a little lower in power, forget the specs, but the price was great, hers was in the low $500s, mine in the mid $600s.

Watch Dells special deals, assemble the one you want with the best deal you can get, and then call them, and see if they can beat that price. They knocked another $50 off the already discounted prices just because I picked up the phone and asked.
    Yeah those are the ones I'm leaning towards, did you get the Inspiron or the XPS? [ETA: Sorry, I see now you did say Inspiron. Did you get the RED one!?? What did Mrs_G get?]

I'm thinking the $699 Inspiron (vs. the $799 XPS) here would do me fine.
    Dell Home Computers Store with Home and Home Office Products (Compare Results)
    (But I must admit I do kinda like the red one, and seems it "only" costs $100 more for that "feature"...)

Great tips re: watching deals and calling them.

PS Did yours come with full-blown MS Office for that price???
    Last edited by Lolly; 02-24-2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by five apples View Post
    I wonder who told you you need 6-8 for memory, that is a pretty serious machine and I can't imagine it will be cheap.
    The guys who built/maintain/sell/support the somewhat antiquated (mostly 16-bit) software suite I need to use.

As to Dell and HP, I think they are both pretty awful, but I would say that the Dells have been particularly awful.
    See that's interesting you say that about Dells. I've had terrific experience with them (granted my current one may be 8+ years old, but that also speaks to it's quality), as have many people I know (Mr. Lolly's is a lot newer and has been great too). But reviews such as yours make me wonder if they've gone downhill more recently??

Sailaway is offline Giggity Giggity Goo!

The batteries have always been problematic with Dells. I can't say for sure that they're any worse than others, but they aren't great. But they themselves are pretty good, and I've owned and used plenty. But, as I touched on earlier, the junk they pre-load has always been an issue. Same with HP. On the desktop side of things, that's why I've always built my own, though that's not really much of an option for laptops (unless you want to order some overpriced stuff from the U.K., that is.)
    If you believe people should work till they die to pay for a government worker to retire at 50, you're a Democrat. Otherwise, you're a Republican. All other differences between the parties are trivial.

dr_gingivitis is offline The Moral Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
    Yeah those are the ones I'm leaning towards, did you get the Inspiron or the XPS? [ETA: Sorry, I see now you did say Inspiron. Did you get the RED one!?? What did Mrs_G get?]

I'm thinking the $699 Inspiron (vs. the $799 XPS) here would do me fine.
    Dell Home Computers Store with Home and Home Office Products (Compare Results)
    (But I must admit I do kinda like the red one, and seems it "only" costs $100 more for that "feature"...)

Great tips re: watching deals and calling them.

PS Did yours come with full-blown MS Office for that price???

I got the Inspiron, it looks like they have increased the processor a little (2.4 to 2.5 gHz) since I bought mine, but mine came with 8 gigs of ram instead of 6. At the time mine was $759 on their site, but I got it for $664 by checking out their deals every day and calling. Mine is black, wife’s is red, I think when you start building your machine you can change to red for $50.
    Since I knew I needed more than one license for MS Office I bought it from staples, it' the same price their as through Dell but you get licenses for 3 machines instead on one.
    My last Dell laptop lasted from 2004 until last year, so I figured that was a pretty good run. It actually still works fine but needs to remain plugged in to work, and the power cable occasionally shocks you if you bend it the wrong way! I think you can always find someone to tell you their horror stories with any of the brands
    "After it was all over, he took us in the house and served us pancakes. Pancakes!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
    The guys who built/maintain/sell/support the somewhat antiquated (mostly 16-bit) software suite I need to use.

See that's interesting you say that about Dells. I've had terrific experience with them (granted my current one may be 8+ years old, but that also speaks to it's quality), as have many people I know (Mr. Lolly's is a lot newer and has been great too). But reviews such as yours make me wonder if they've gone downhill more recently??
    Yah, 6-8 is pretty typical of mid range machines these days. And like I said above, it's easy to find someone to say something bad about any of the major brands. Our new Dells work as wel as our old one that lasted 8 years.
    "After it was all over, he took us in the house and served us pancakes. Pancakes!"

five apples is offline Deacon Blues

Quote Originally Posted by dr_gingivitis View Post
    Yah, 6-8 is pretty typical of mid range machines these days. And like I said above, it's easy to find someone to say something bad about any of the major brands. Our new Dells work as wel as our old one that lasted 8 years.
    So I have been an IT Professional for years, which has involved at times running memory consuming application development environments on my laptops and for many years that meant suffering at 4. The truth of the matter is if I all you are doing is running office and surfing the web then you are wasting your money going above that. Now if you are doing some gaming and so on that is another story, but I know very few people who fall in this category. The fact your computer from 2004 sufficed should indicate your computing needs.

Lolly though says she needs it so that is another story.

I have had two dells at my current job, one lasted a year before the battery died and took some boards with it, and then the other one last about a year and a half before the hard drive simply died. Now we buy Lenovo's as I said and I have been very happy with mine. I will say though that the Accenture people at our place use the new Dell lines and do like them.

My home laptop is an HP and it is from 2005 but I can tell by the noises it is making the Hardrive is about to die.

Cool, thanks folks!

Hmmm... ONLY $50 for red eh? Temping... :-)

So I have been an IT Professional for years, which has involved at times running memory consuming application development environments on my laptops and for many years that meant suffering at 4. The truth of the matter is if I all you are doing is running office and surfing the web then you are wasting your money going above that. Now if you are doing some gaming and so on that is another story, but I know very few people who fall in this category. The fact your computer from 2004 sufficed should indicate your computing needs.

Lolly though says she needs it so that is another story.

I have had two dells at my current job, one lasted a year before the battery died and took some boards with it, and then the other one last about a year and a half before the hard drive simply died. Now we buy Lenovo's as I said and I have been very happy with mine. I will say though that the Accenture people at our place use the new Dell lines and do like them.

My home laptop is an HP and it is from 2005 but I can
    tell by the noises it is making the Hardrive is about to die.
    My laptop from 2004 has been relegated to the realm of word processor and browser for years. My point is just that my Dell has performed well over that time period. The new ones we just got 4 months ago, but so far they've been solid. Battery life is good, but I take your point about how long the batteries actually last, my understanding is that getting more than two years out of any manufacturer is difficult.

My processing needs are actually fairly high, I do full band recording, 8 tracks of 24 bit audio at 88,200 samples per second per track adds up pretty quick.
    But I didn't say you needed 6-8 gigs, just that it's very easy and not very costly to get 6-8 gigs on even a mid range machine these days. You can get a machine with 8 gigs as cheap as $559 from Dell, or a 6 gig machine from Lenovo for about the same price.

Litter Box is offline Senior Member

I've had a Toshiba for 7 years and bought a back up Toshiba about 2 years ago, just in case. I took the original one to the shop yesterday because "I BROKE A HINGE". 100% my fault. The newer one seems more solid but who can complain about no problems for 7 years ? You would be amazed how many updates build up in a year or so of no use.

Your mileage may vary but I bought the second on based on experience with the first. With a little luck I'll get my M 45 back today.
    But all in all, it's been a fabulous year for Laura and me.
    12/21/2001 White House release: President Highlights

UncleCranky is offline Member

I have 16GB in my laptop and want to upgrade to 32GB. I run VMware Workstation loaded with a bunch of vSphere instances and VSA SANs.

Beginning with CES this year, the Windows laptop industry changed in a major way....Ultrabooks. The 1st gen Ultrabooks are < 13" screen and I do not see any with >4GB memory yet. I expect that to change mid year.

Ultrabooks are fast (SSD), relatively inexpensive, great battery life and thin and light.

As for HP laptops, I have a 17" DV7 that I purchased over two years ago and no problem and an Elitebook for over a year. The thing to remember is that laptop are now disposable. You don't pay much for them anymore and they are obsolete in a couple of years. Consequently that is how the vendors build the consumer versions. If you want rock solid quality you need to buy the enteprise versions of laptops.

-UC

kat-21 is offline Member

I need a new laptop too and found this thread very helpful and informative. I'm looking at the Dells that can be purchased now, either at Best Buy or HHGregg, because my laptop's monitor stopped working just last night. Since the laptop just turned 4 years old this month, I figure its time for a new one. HHGregg has a Dell w/ Intel Core i5-2450M processor w/6 RAM and 500 GB HD for $549... seems fairly reasonable. I'm still browsing Bestbuy's website but I hate that store so I'd prefer not to buy there. I use my laptop for internet surfing and gaming.

Lolly, what did you wind up getting??
    Last edited by kat-21; 04-20-2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: typo/grammar

Neb
    Neb is offline Senior Member

I got a real nice Toshiba from newegg.com for a real reasonable price. They're over in Jersey. It has 10 gb of memory (much more than I need). I like the next day shipping option too.

rojnish is offline Senior Member

I, too, am in the early stages of searching for a new computer. I have only ever used a PC, but since I have both an iPhone and an iPad and LOVE them both I'm thinking of switching over to Mac. I am intrigued by the comments above zeroing in on the Mac 11. One of the reasons I've hesitated to make the switch is that there are so many models and so many varying prices that I haven't had the energy to research. So, my request is, would the Mac 11 folks extol the virtues of that particular machine please. What am I likely to expect to encounter having to switch to a new system? Is the learnign curve as brief as it was on the iPad, which practically works itself?

scott44 is offline Junior Member

i would suggest you to buy an ultrabook since it is the ideal choice for anyone who needs to buy a laptop thesedays

PhillyCuse is offline Senior Member

I really don't think it matters much these days whether you get a Dell/HP/Acer whatever. They all pretty much run on the same stuff. People can give you anecdotal stories but that's kinda like me saying US Air is awesome because they've never lost my luggage. Staples has some I-5 processors with other decent specs in the $5-600 range; I'd just get one of them.

Get a MacBook. Mine hasn't crashed or needed a re-boot in 3 years. No one could ever say that about a laptop running Windows.

Sailaway is offline Giggity Giggity Goo!

I can - well close at least. And my lappie isn't an overpriced toy like Macs.

I still run XP Pro. It runs great. On my desktops, I've had maybe a dozen crashes, but most were deliberate.

Win7 has held up well so far as well, though I still dislike it as an OS, and prefer XP or XP-64 in most applications.
    If you believe people should work till they die to pay for a government worker to retire at 50, you're a Democrat. Otherwise, you're a Republican. All other differences between the parties are trivial.

Cracks me up when the uninformed say Macs are 'toys' or 'overpriced'.

adhneywilson is offline Junior Member

Last month, I too also started searching for the best new laptop then at that time, With the help of a friend's suggestion I like to buy the Microsoft Pro. With that, I get the laptop in the form of tablet and also many valuable and latest discount offers facility. This awesome device will run all the programs that run with Windows 7, at the same time, you will be able to run all the applications that is need windows 8 to work properly.

surface pro promo code
    surface pro coupon code