Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast
    torts is offline Senior Member

Default Torts's Just How Sick is Apple Thread (bring napkin to thread)

Apple may have sold anywhere from 400,000 to 500,000 units of the iPad 2 during the tablet's launch weekend, exceeding the company's expectations, according to Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster.

Analyst: Up to 500K iPads sold over weekend | Apple - CNET News

gren is offline Senior Member

I got mine! it's great!!!!!!! Granted, I can't make my mortgage payment anymore... but I bought a $3.99 iPad app guide to foreclosures!

Edit: As for useful commentary. I understand the iPad can be cool and worthwhile in certain cases--I'm thinking hour long regional rail rides. I just don't get why so many people think that's a good way to sink $499.
    Last edited by gren; 03-14-2011 at 10:42 AM. Reason: $499 not $399 apparently

The Count is offline Senior Member

It's pretty damn sick.

Winston is offline Junior Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by gren View Post
    As for useful commentary. I understand the iPad can be cool and worthwhile in certain cases--I'm thinking hour long regional rail rides. I just don't get why so many people think that's a good way to sink $499.
    If it doesn't add up for you, I won't try to convince you otherwise, but I use mine all day long. Email, web browsing, games, productivity, movies, books, yada yada, at work, at lunch or home in front of the TV or at the kitchen table. And I really love it when I travel for work (much easier/better at a conference or on a plane than my laptop). As for the cost, don't forget that the original iPod cost $499 for 10 gigs of music storage and a two-inch black and white screen. And it sold like crazy. So compare that with what the same $499 gets you today and it's a pretty good deal. Again, people are free to pass on it if it's not worth it to them. Depends on one's priorities and budget, like everything else.

Weekend sales of Apple Inc.'s newly released iPad 2 soared beyond industry expectations, so much so that the device left most store shelves before the weekend actually ended.

iPad 2 Mania Leads To Shortages : All Tech Considered : NPR

Through all the volatility that we have seen in the past couple of weeks, capped by the unfolding tragedy in Japan, an important quiet milestone has been reached by one very well followed and therefore misunderstood company and stock. The company is Apple.

Apple: The New Buy and Hold Stock - Seeking Alpha

AppleInsider | Overwhelming iPad 2 demand continues, Apple's online orders now ship in 4-5 weeks

Apple on Tuesday was forced again to delay estimated shipping times for new iPad 2 orders, as those who buy must now wait four to five weeks for their order to be sent.

Apple's iTunes Store has become the number one music vendor in the country; on February 24th, it sold its 10 billionth song download.

Bon Jovi: 'Steve Jobs Is Personally Responsible For Killing The Music Business'

Guess which store had yet another line halfway up the block this morning. City Sports? Kenneth Cole? Lagos? Keep going....

How the iPhone Led to the Sale of T-Mobile USA - NYTimes.com

“The iPhone effect cannot be underestimated in this decision,” said Theo Kitz, an analyst at Merck Finck, a private bank in Munich. “Without being able to sell the iPhone, T-Mobile was in an unsustainable position and T-Mobile USA became a problem child.”

BrianL is online now Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by torts View Post
    How the iPhone Led to the Sale of T-Mobile USA - NYTimes.com

“The iPhone effect cannot be underestimated in this decision,” said Theo Kitz, an analyst at Merck Finck, a private bank in Munich. “Without being able to sell the iPhone, T-Mobile was in an unsustainable position and T-Mobile USA became a problem child.”
    And if you bought on the dip, its a nice little bump on the plus side

Apple Inc. (AAPL) can keep posting sales growth of more than 50 percent in the next two years as a mobile applications boom fuels demand for devices such as the iPad, said the chief executive officer of Forrester Research Inc. (FORR)

Apple's Sales May Grow 50% Through 2012 on Mobile Boom - Bloomberg

"We believe Apple offers the most attractive valuation in our large cap tech coverage, with potential for 34% revenue and 41% EPS [compound annual growth] through 2013," she writes. "In our view, the market is far too near-term focused and the current valuation – 15x CY2011 P/E – suggests that the market questions the company's long-term growth potential. We disagree."

Morgan Stanley's 'bull case' for Apple: 65 million iPads, $540 a share - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech

stock is offline Senior Member

torts, if you work for Apple (which I'm guessing you do), you should disclose...
    Chris
    Philadelphia Salvage
    Design Build

542 Carpenter Lane - Retail and Custom
    2234 W. Westmoreland "The Foundry"

"Anyone who would trade their freedom for safety
    deserves neither freedom or safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

raider.adam is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gren View Post
    I got mine! it's great!!!!!!! Granted, I can't make my mortgage payment anymore... but I bought a $3.99 iPad app guide to foreclosures!

Edit: As for useful commentary. I understand the iPad can be cool and worthwhile in certain cases--I'm thinking hour long regional rail rides. I just don't get why so many people think that's a good way to sink $499.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post
    If it doesn't add up for you, I won't try to convince you otherwise, but I use mine all day long. Email, web browsing, games, productivity, movies, books, yada yada, at work, at lunch or home in front of the TV or at the kitchen table. And I really love it when I travel for work (much easier/better at a conference or on a plane than my laptop). As for the cost, don't forget that the original iPod cost $499 for 10 gigs of music storage and a two-inch black and white screen. And it sold like crazy. So compare that with what the same $499 gets you today and it's a pretty good deal. Again, people are free to pass on it if it's not worth it to them. Depends on one's priorities and budget, like everything else.
    Winston is right. What is the price of a new laptop? The vast majority of people use their computers to browse the web, do email and write short things... everything the iPad can do. With the added convenience of portability, it is actually a very cost effective product for many people.

I think an even better parallel than the iPod are gaming consoles. Who would think someone would pay over $300 for a gaming console when you can just use your normal desktop? Yet Playstations, Wii's, etc. have no problem selling.

I can understand someone not wanting to justify owning an iPad, or any product, for themselves. I just don't understand why people feel they need to go to the next level and bash others for buying a product.

Apple will surpass tech giants IBM and Hewlett-Packard in total sales by 2013, an influential analyst said.

George Colony, founder and CEO of Forrester Research, predicted that Apple would become "a $200 billion revenue company" in the next two years, in an interview with Bloomberg that the news service published Thursday.

Apple Bigger Than HP, IBM By 2013? -- InformationWeek