Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    lucy van pelt is offline Senior Member

I always wondered why people bothered to have a pet they had no desire to take care of. No one is forcing you to own a dog or cat if you're just going to abuse or neglect it.

Dayman is offline Champion of the Sun

Quote Originally Posted by phillysw View Post
    I think what upsets me the most about these stories is that only the worst examples make the news. I'm involved with cat rescue in the city and we've found multiple cats with BB gun pellets in their bodies, burned paws, collars so tight they're starting to embed in the skin, etc. People are sick.

The cases that piss me off the most are people who adopt from area shelters, then dump the cats back onto the street. We can tell because the cats are microchipped by the PSPCA (and before that, PACCA). Some of the adopters even take the time to register the microchip, but of course they never respond when you try to contact them. One gem of an adopter told us she didn't want the cat anymore because food cost too much...so she tossed the cat outside less than a month after she adopted it. Real nice.
    Whenever I see a cat wander in my yard with a damned flea collar I snip it off on sight.

Oh, and don't get me started on my neighbors, who only like kittens and throw them out at 9 months to a year.

drewrob23 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by cerberus413 View Post
    My pets have higher value then some humans.

You've mentioned that before and I totally believe that you feel that way. Personally, if my cat had some sort of serious medical condition, he's just getting put down.

I think it's a much more worth while cause to adopt children than some animal. But to each, his/her own.

phillysw is offline Senior Member

I found our first Siberian Husky wandering the street around my old duplex....she had a horrible case of demodex manage and a tight collar on but no tag or RFID.
    I hear you. My dog (a pit bull) had horrific mange as well. Someone just dumped him in the shelter. I guess at 25lbs, he wasn't big enough for whatever they had in mind, or maybe he barked too much (which stopped once he realized he was in a stable home). It's really sad to think about, because he is an awesome dog.

drewrob, we definitely feel differently about the value of pets. I think people who adopt kids are amazing, because I couldn't do it myself. But putting down a pet because it has an illness (which could be very treatable, depending on what it is) is pretty offensive to me. I know you're not alone in your views and I'm certainly not in the majority with mine. That said, when I'm looking for adoptive homes for cats I've rescued and fixed up, I want people who will treat them like family. That includes treating illnesses if it's in the best interest of the animal and recommended by a vet.

phillysw is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dayman View Post
    Whenever I see a cat wander in my yard with a damned flea collar I snip it off on sight.

Oh, and don't get me started on my neighbors, who only like kittens and throw them out at 9 months to a year.
    Dayman, my neighbors are the same way--they toss 'em out as soon as they start spraying, which any non-fixed cat will when they reach sexual maturity. Their kitten from 2007 grew up outside and got hit by a car. They didn't know, because I rushed the cat to Penn to be euthanized, rather than let it sit out on the street slowly bleeding to death. Their kitten from last year...well, let's just say it "mysteriously disappeared" after they let it out. Ahem. Sadly, I saw another kitten in their window about a month ago. It's only a matter of time...

cerberus413 is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by drewrob23 View Post
    You've mentioned that before and I totally believe that you feel that way. Personally, if my cat had some sort of serious medical condition, he's just getting put down.

I think it's a much more worth while cause to adopt children than some animal. But to each, his/her own.
    Oh dont get me wrong....we put down a lot of pets when I was younger.....and I would do the same with my guys if it was the only humane thing to do....I wouldnt want them to suffer. It would kill my wife and I but we have gone through it before and will go through it again. Its all part of having them as family members.

All of my guys are fixed are I would suggest that to anyone with a pet to avoid future issues unless you are going to breed them.

cerberus413 is offline Banned

drewrob, we definitely feel differently about the value of pets. I think people who adopt kids are amazing, because I couldn't do it myself. But putting down a pet because it has an illness (which could be very treatable, depending on what it is) is pretty offensive to me. I know you're not alone in your views and I'm certainly not in the majority with mine. That said, when I'm looking for adoptive homes for cats I've rescued and fixed up, I want people who will treat them like family. That includes treating illnesses if it's in the best interest of the animal and recommended by a vet.
    Agreed also.....I wouldnt want to put a pet down if it had something treatable.....God knows we have spent enough keeping them up to date with their shots, heartworm pills etc....but its basica responsibility as far as we are concerned. I would do the same (and more of course) with a child....but we havent crossed that bridge yet.

Debbie1125 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lucy van pelt View Post
    I always wondered why people bothered to have a pet they had no desire to take care of. No one is forcing you to own a dog or cat if you're just going to abuse or neglect it.
    I agree with you 100%. As much as I dislike seeing adoptable animals euthanized, it's preferable to being thrown out into the street to starve by irresponsible idiots.

szekely is offline Senior Member

Cats are such exquisite creatures, it's hard to believe even messed up kids wouldn't rather just take them home. I don't get it. Is it the power over another creature's life & death, or are they taking out their frustrations?

catguy is offline Banned

lucy van pelt is offline Senior Member

Glad they got one of those guys.

This is a really sad story (very sad pictures) from Denver, where pit bulls are banned. To me, it makes more sense to go after the actual human criminals who are using these animals, rather than punish a breed as a whole:

Leaked: photos of pit bulls killed due to Denver ban - Denver News - The Latest Word

MaggieMay is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by catguy View Post

Your link isn't working catguy.

Here's the story with photo of the "kid" they aressted: Arrest in death of "Cuddles" the cat | 6abc.com - 10/09/09 - Philadelphia News - 6abc.com

Freaking scary...a whole group stood around and watched as well.

catguy is offline Banned

Thanks, philly.com seems to move their links far too often. In the article I'd linked, the jerk said, when he was arrested, that he was an "animal lover."

And I don't buy that the idiots standing around when just sitting there horrified.

I hear you. My dog (a pit bull) had horrific mange as well. Someone just dumped him in the shelter. I guess at 25lbs, he wasn't big enough for whatever they had in mind, or maybe he barked too much (which stopped once he realized he was in a stable home). It's really sad to think about, because he is an awesome dog.

Well I did say, serious illness. When my job starts giving out health insurance for pets, then maybe I would consider serious treatment for my cat. Until then, I won't be spending thousands of dollars trying to prolong my cats life when it's probably really suffering. It's that's heartless, it's just how I feel.

Oh dont get me wrong....we put down a lot of pets when I was younger.....and I would do the same with my guys if it was the only humane thing to do....I wouldnt want them to suffer. It would kill my wife and I but we have gone through it before and will go through it again. Its all part of having them as family members.

All of my guys are fixed are I would suggest that to anyone with a pet to avoid future issues unless you are going to breed them.
    I totally understand you. I'm not totally heartless when it comes to pets though. When I read an article about the Supreme Court and animal cruelty, I was introduced to the term, crushing. Totally horrible! And only a sick and demented person would take part in it.

Debbie1125 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lucy van pelt View Post
    Glad they got one of those guys.

This is a really sad story (very sad pictures) from Denver, where pit bulls are banned. To me, it makes more sense to go after the actual human criminals who are using these animals, rather than punish a breed as a whole:

Leaked: photos of pit bulls killed due to Denver ban - Denver News - The Latest Word

I looked at the first picture and could go no further. It's heartbreaking. It just doesn't make sense to ban breeds. The scumbags will just find another kind of dog to use for fighting.

Denver stinks. They kill those poor innocent dogs yet there are thousands of gang members there.