Register
+ Reply to Thread
    AsYouWere is offline Banned

Default 375 Apt's Underway at Spring Mill on Schuylkill

This project sort of came out of nowhere since there's hardly any residents nearby to notify, but construction is underway at a brisk pace. At least one major subcontractor, Mid-Atlantic Mechanical (HVAC, plumbing, sheet metal) is a union shop and no sign of any pickets around.

The bike trail, R-6 tracks, and river are just beyond and there couldn't be closer proximity to the Spring Mill Station.

Jayfar is offline Junior Old Fart

New Apartment Complex, with 385 Units, Coming to Whitemarsh

Conshohocken PA New Luxury Apartments for Rent | The Courts at Spring Mill Station

I like how they designed it with varied facades along the block-long site.

It was interesting during the site prep work that they had lots of heavy machinery on-site working for a few months to break up the old concrete base into coarse gravel, which they then used as fill to build up parts of the lot.

I work just up the hill from there, so I get to see the progress on a daily basis as I walk by to and from the train station.
    Last edited by Jayfar; 01-18-2013 at 07:13 PM.
    “Guys like you I would dispatch with my roofing axe.” -- BootsywannabeACretin

Yeah they were at that concrete pulverizing big time and toward the end working at night to finish. I have the same link/pic saying 385 units also but some say 375 - close enough.

billy ross is online now Senior Member

I'm shocked that the view isn't of a sea of parking. Where are all of the cars going to go? I only count four in the rendering. I'm guessing this place will have 1.5 parking spaces per unit. That's 560 parking spaces.

Four and five story buildings only work with structured parking. Otherwise it looks like Vet Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
    New Apartment Complex, with 385 Units, Coming to Whitemarsh

Conshohocken PA New Luxury Apartments for Rent | The Courts at Spring Mill Station

I like how they designed it with varied facades along the block-long site.

It was interesting during the site prep work that they had lots of heavy machinery on-site working for a few months to break up the old concrete base into coarse gravel, which they then used as fill to build up parts of the lot.

I work just up the hill from there, so I get to see the progress on a daily basis as I walk by to and from the train station.

Quote Originally Posted by billy ross View Post
    I'm shocked that the view isn't of a sea of parking. Where are all of the cars going to go? I only count four in the rendering. I'm guessing this place will have 1.5 parking spaces per unit. That's 560 parking spaces.

Four and five story buildings only work with structured parking. Otherwise it looks like Vet Stadium.
    Yep, there's more renderings and garage details here:

Courts at Spring *Mill Station

http://www.ktgy.com/wp-content/uploa...ll-Station.pdf

Courts at Spring Mill Station

Client:
    Home Properties

Brochure Sheet (PDF)

Use:
    Apartments

Facts:
    • Plans – 507-1,413 SF
    • Units – 385 DU
    • Area – 7.8 AC
    • Amenity Space – 40,000 SF
    • Building 1: 4- story residential over 1-story podium garage
    • Building 2: 4- story residential over podium basement surrounding a 6-story precast garage
    • Designed LEED Certified
    • Next to SEPTA-Spring Mill Station and
    Schuylkill River Trail

Description:
    Courts at Spring Mill Station is a multifamily project along the Schuylkill River in Whitemarsh Township, Pennsylvania. This site is conveniently located directly across from the SEPTA-Spring Mill Station and the Schuylkill River Trail which connects commuters to Philadelphia. The project consists of 2 residential buildings, 1 podium garage and 1 precast garage over a 7.8 acre lot. There are 385 units and over 40,000 SF of amenity spaces including a swimming pool, fitness center, business center, game room, theater, club room and basketball court. Units include a mixture of Studio, 1-Bedroom and 2-Bedroom designs with dens and lofts.

Finally got some sunshine so I'm able to show the site a bit better with the existing historic houses. The overlooking large one (below and behind water/phone tower) was known as both the Morris Mansion and Mount Joy c1735, built by Anthony Morris while he owned the Crooked Billet Inn - Ben Franklin's first stop on arrival in Philly. The entire area was also owned by Col Samuel Miles during the revolutionary war. Peter Legeaux afterwards had his Pa Vine Co here said to be the first vineyard in the state with many prominent visitors of the day such as G Washington, A Hamilton, A Burr. One of the earliest post offices, Wm Penn, was established here by Ben Franklin who also did river soundings here with David Rittenhouse in hopes of a future canal system.

Mount Joy c1735

The 'riverbend' looking toward Philly with Barren Hill in the background. Scullers from area schools often can be seen in this stretch.

Last edited by AsYouWere; 01-19-2013 at 08:16 PM.

This google map satellite view is amusing. First you see the old Reilly Foam factory buildings, but when you click + to zoom, it goes to a more recent image of the cleared site:

1101 East Hector Street, Conshohocken, PA - Google Maps

Nice work that's a great before and after of the whole site for those unfamiliar with the area. Maybe now at least the pedestrian bridge we proposed across the creek to connect with the county land on the river can be built.

Malloy is offline Administrator

Looks like a HQ project. The central garage is nice too.
    Like PS on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
    Looks like a HQ project. The central garage is nice too.
    Always good to have you weigh in mate, and when the shown historic buildings were built the area was still Phila County and in essence the area still is.
    Last edited by AsYouWere; 01-19-2013 at 08:11 PM.

O.H. Lee is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AsYouWere View Post
    Always good to have you weigh in mate, and when the shown historic buildings were built the area was still Phila County and in essence the area still is.
    If this is successful, Mayor Nutter would like to have the land back.
    "We do sincerely hope you all enjoy the show, and please remember people, that no matter who you are and what you do to live, thrive and survive, there are still some things that make us all the same. You, me, them, everybody, everybody!"

Quote Originally Posted by O.H. Lee View Post
    If this is successful, Mayor Nutter would like to have the land back.
    One good aspect if that were possible is that I believe citizen access to the Schuylkill for recreation purposes would come much quicker. There are a few exceptions such as Lower Merion that has had a great park forever right at Black Rock Dam across from Shawmont, bathrooms, boat slip, picnic tables and grills. Most towns redeveloping their riverfront are caving in to the developers even though taxpayer dollars are involved.

O.H. Lee is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AsYouWere View Post
    One good aspect if that were possible is that I believe citizen access to the Schuylkill for recreation purposes would come much quicker. There are a few exceptions such as Lower Merion that has had a great park forever right at Black Rock Dam across from Shawmont, bathrooms, boat slip, picnic tables and grills. Most towns redeveloping their riverfront are caving in to the developers even though taxpayer dollars are involved.
    I was just being sarcastic.
    "We do sincerely hope you all enjoy the show, and please remember people, that no matter who you are and what you do to live, thrive and survive, there are still some things that make us all the same. You, me, them, everybody, everybody!"