Register
+ Reply to Thread
    billy ross is online now Senior Member

Default Ardmore on the Rise?

Iron Hill coming to Main Line

"Finn tells me that the location will be a former carpet store in Ardmore Plaza (44 Greenfield Ave.) - which happens to be right in the backyard of former West Chester Iron Hill brewer Jean Broillet IV, who now owns Tired Hands."

My wife and I think that the Iron Hill Brewery in Chestnut Hill is incredibly uninteresting, but everytime we go by the place is bumping, so obviously we're missing something about the place, or more likely Chestnut Hill. Still, I'm glad that they chose Ardmore for their location - I was trying to convince one of the councilmen there that they need to deemphasize the car in Ardmore and this should help do just that, despite its parking lot location. I'm looking forward to seeing him again in a week and a half, or maybe on Sunday.
    Last edited by billy ross; 12-06-2012 at 10:52 AM.

PhilaCap is offline Senior Member

A chain restaurant in a strip mall... ohhh boy! the suburb haters are gonna loooove this.

seand is offline Senior Member

I'm not sure yet another Iron Hill which has a number of Philly burb locations signifies anything other more of the same for Ardmore. It sounds "about what I would expect" not "on the rise".

Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    I'm not sure yet another Iron Hill which has a number of Philly burb locations signifies anything other more of the same for Ardmore. It sounds "about what I would expect" not "on the rise".
    I disagree. Wayne and Narberth have been beating the pants off of Ardmore these past few years. In a way Ardmore's been declining. Now all of a sudden it has not one but two breweries? I don't think the aforementioned two towns have any. Yet Phoenixville and Chestnut Hill have brewpubs. Entrepreneurs opening brewpubs in your town is both great for your town's nightlife and a vote of confidence in your town.

I just hope that Ardmore can figure it out before they demolish cool old buildings for a parking garage, which is what they had planned to do.

I enjoy doing circuits from drinking establishment to drinking establishment to drinking establishment (just did one last Thursday in Fishtown/Kensington). This going in makes me more likely to take the train to Ardmore. Just yesterday I was at the Baldwin School in Bryn Mawr and I would have been mighty tempted to take the train to Ardmore to sample some beers, had there been more options than just Tired Hands, which I haven't visited yet. It's called becoming a destination.
    Last edited by billy ross; 12-06-2012 at 02:11 PM.

seand is offline Senior Member

Perhaps I'm spoiled by my 50th and Baltimore brew pub steps from my home.

Volanova is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhilaCap View Post
    A chain restaurant in a strip mall... ohhh boy! the suburb haters are gonna loooove this.
    It is a suburban strip mall, technically, but it's significantly less offensive than most. It doesn't sit in a sea of concrete, it's walking distance of public transit, has some interesting shops, and isn't laid out in a manner that shuns pedestrians.

I am surprised to see an Iron Hill going in there, though. They seem to be much more of the old-style storefront types.

I do wonder what this will do to the new beer shop there and Tired Hands. Speaking of Tired Hands, I have revised my previous opinion of the place. After sitting downstairs, ordering from the bar, and not paying attention to their descriptions (which, mind you, I still think they haven't quite gotten the hang of yet), I like it much more. They had a sour on tap that was phenomenal, too.

NickleDimer is offline Senior Member

There aren't many areas that have 2 brewpubs and a craft bottle shop (with a bar in it) within 1/4 mile.

AsYouWere is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by billy ross View Post
    Iron Hill coming to Main Line
    Still, I'm glad that they chose Ardmore for their location - I was trying to convince one of the councilmen there that they need to deemphasize the car in Ardmore.
    I'm finding it a stretch that Ardmore has councilmen Billy, as it's the headquarters for the entire Lower Merion Twp to include the police HQ's, township HQ's, the high school , etc. I believe they call them Commissioners in Lower Merion.

That being established the best thing Ardmore ever had going was the live band club 23East, aside from that not much going on there these days. The Main Point was also a famous venue nearby where Bruce Springsteen had his famous 1975 gig.

Sorry the Main Point was in Bryn Mawr - but check out the luminaries that played there The Main Point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Preesi is offline Senior Member

UGH I hate the Main Line. I only go up there for Great Harvest bread, I dont even go to Taste of Britain anymore since they dont carry much anymore...

And Treddyfryn cops can kiss my ass

Preesi is offline Senior Member

.........although it would be fun to have a Real Housewives Of The Main Line

Quote Originally Posted by Preesi View Post
    .........although it would be fun to have a Real Housewives Of The Main Line
    ....that's what I'm talking about as long as it's a private affair with no weird invitees

Hasn't Milkboy in Ardmore just assumed the same role that the Main Point formerly had?

Quote Originally Posted by NickleDimer View Post
    Hasn't Milkboy in Ardmore just assumed the same role that the Main Point formerly had?
    Milkboy is fairly nice - I took my daughter there one day about a year ago as we were on the way home from someplace out that way, and she liked it. I actually like that location better than the Center City location, which is really odd. I don't think that the CC location has the same music scene as the Ardmore location does.

I hadn't known that the Bottle Shop has a bar. Now I have some interesting stops to make when I'm out that way again. Am I correct in believing that the Milkboy in Ardmore doesn't have a license?

eldondre is online now Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by billy ross View Post
    Milkboy is fairly nice - I took my daughter there one day about a year ago as we were on the way home from someplace out that way, and she liked it. I actually like that location better than the Center City location, which is really odd. I don't think that the CC location has the same music scene as the Ardmore location does.

I hadn't known that the Bottle Shop has a bar. Now I have some interesting stops to make when I'm out that way again. Am I correct in believing that the Milkboy in Ardmore doesn't have a license?
    you are correct. I've never gone for music but I find the milkboy a nice place to have a coffee or a beer in cc. if I still lived down the block, I'd appreciate that kind of place a little more. I definitely think ardmore is upping it's game a little bit. for all the trash talk about the main line, they often seem to be able to change with the times enough to remain a choice place to live. heck, even when train travel wasn't cool, this area was still riding the train.
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

No booze at Milkboy in Ardmore. It closes fairly early at (night 9 or 10?). They also had a location in Bryn Mawr, next to the movie theater. But someone else is operating it under a different name now.

The Beer Shoppe is the way to go. Great beers on draft. Friendly atmosphere. Serious beer lover's joint. Awesome Chicago-style dog. Highly recommended - looking forward to going back. Not impressed by Tired Hands. Off beers. Odd fixation on Saison. Loud. Hard to get service. Packed with people who don't seem to be my style. Maybe tonight was a bad night?

I hear ya, BR. Tired Hands' endless variations of French/Belgian farmhouse beers don't always work out. The space and concept are nice though. It's worth re-visiting.

eldondre is online now Moderator

I think this proposal makes a lot of sense. they are essentially talking about turning an awkward surface parking lot in the middle of the center into a garage with retail lining the street on the station side. train riders would be allowed to use the parking

Suburban Square considers more parking
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

PhilaCap is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by eldondre View Post
    I think this proposal makes a lot of sense. they are essentially talking about turning an awkward surface parking lot in the middle of the center into a garage with retail lining the street on the station side. train riders would be allowed to use the parking

Suburban Square considers more parking
    too bad only murderers will be able to park there.