Register
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Preesi's Avatar
    Preesi is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Recession Proof Montgomery County
    Posts
    960

    Default Movie Tavern is almost done



    Providence Town Center (near Wegmans) in Collegeville, Pa

  2. #2
    gren's Avatar
    gren is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Walnut Hill
    Posts
    2,168

    Default

    What is Movie Tavern. Like those old cinemas where they'd serve you french fries and beer during the film?

  3. #3
    ColeenH is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Falls, Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gren View Post
    What is Movie Tavern. Like those old cinemas where they'd serve you french fries and beer during the film?
    The theaters are small, at least in other locations around the country (30 people per theater in Williamsburg, VA). They serve meals/alcohol instead of snacks and soda. Stuff like wraps, panini, pizza, burgers, etc. Foods that generally don't require cutlery.

    Each row of seating has a long table in front of it (kind of like a bar), where you can eat your food while you watch the movie. Insteaad of rows of seats, there are executive chairs.

  4. #4
    kidphilly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ColeenH View Post
    The theaters are small, at least in other locations around the country (30 people per theater in Williamsburg, VA). They serve meals/alcohol instead of snacks and soda. Stuff like wraps, panini, pizza, burgers, etc. Foods that generally don't require cutlery.

    Each row of seating has a long table in front of it (kind of like a bar), where you can eat your food while you watch the movie. Insteaad of rows of seats, there are executive chairs.
    I saw this when at the Collegeville Wegmans recently. So long tables etc. Is it waitress service? I imagine the price points have to be high, is it like couches etc. Maybe one of these in the gallery on Market East (oh that is another thread). The concept seems odd but i did google the company and they seem to be getting traction. Oddly i may actually be tempted to check it out at some point

  5. #5
    Bob_Head's Avatar
    Bob_Head is offline Immoderat0r
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,287

    Default

    I've really liked this concept in the past. It was really popular among the second-run houses before the DVD and PPV (and now streameing) markets killed them off. It was great, since you'd get in for a buck, and, since the house paid next to nothing for what was on the screen, they could keep the food and drink prices reasonable. I've missed having them around.

    That said, for a first run house, I don't know. While Reel Pizza in Bar Harbor makes the idea work (with a nice blend of Indy and Art-House movies in the mix), that's an unusual situation. Movie Tavern just seems a little generic. In area with a number of quality screens nearby, it's going to be a challenge. Their menu certainly isn't anything I'd drive out of the way for.
    Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine.

  6. #6
    LUCas is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Spring Garden
    Posts
    1,806

    Default

    I might actually go to a movie theater again for the first time since the last Lord of the Rings movie. Thanks!
    "I am a <banned> liar." -Mr.Brightside

  7. #7
    ColeenH is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Falls, Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
    I saw this when at the Collegeville Wegmans recently. So long tables etc. Is it waitress service? I imagine the price points have to be high, is it like couches etc. Maybe one of these in the gallery on Market East (oh that is another thread). The concept seems odd but i did google the company and they seem to be getting traction. Oddly i may actually be tempted to check it out at some point
    Yes, waitress service. You arrive at the theater, purchase your movie tickets, then go to the food counter and place your order, also telling them what theater you're in. Then a waitress brings the food to your seat.

  8. #8
    VeganDike is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
    Oddly i may actually be tempted to check it out at some point
    That's odd indeed.

  9. #9
    VeganDike is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Head View Post
    I've really liked this concept in the past. It was really popular among the second-run houses before the DVD and PPV (and now streameing) markets killed them off. It was great, since you'd get in for a buck, and, since the house paid next to nothing for what was on the screen, they could keep the food and drink prices reasonable. I've missed having them around.

    That said, for a first run house, I don't know. While Reel Pizza in Bar Harbor makes the idea work (with a nice blend of Indy and Art-House movies in the mix), that's an unusual situation. Movie Tavern just seems a little generic. In area with a number of quality screens nearby, it's going to be a challenge. Their menu certainly isn't anything I'd drive out of the way for.
    I may find an opening on my calendar if you need some company, just saying.

  10. #10
    NE19124 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    grew up in east frankford and northwood
    Posts
    453

    Default

    same here. I haven't enjoyed going to the movies since lord of the rings and star wars episode III.
    Holywood churns out some real crap anymore.

    Quote Originally Posted by LUCas View Post
    I might actually go to a movie theater again for the first time since the last Lord of the Rings movie. Thanks!

  11. #11
    NE19124 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    grew up in east frankford and northwood
    Posts
    453

    Default

    inside a movie tavern.
    Cool concept. Maybe the local movie houses will come back if this catches on.


  12. #12
    Scoats's Avatar
    Scoats is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Downtown Tacony
    Posts
    1,081

    Default

    So waitresses walk around during the movie blocking people's views?

  13. #13
    Preesi's Avatar
    Preesi is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Recession Proof Montgomery County
    Posts
    960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scoats View Post
    So waitresses walk around during the movie blocking people's views?
    Thats my question

  14. #14
    NE19124 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    grew up in east frankford and northwood
    Posts
    453

    Default

    I asked that of myself too.
    that would be real anoying.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scoats View Post
    So waitresses walk around during the movie blocking people's views?

  15. #15
    karmah is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default

    At the Movie Tavern site they have a short film that shows the inside of the Collegeville location as well as descriptions of how it operates (food service, etc.).

    Movie Tavern

    This location does not have the one long table set up but rather individual tables affixed to seats. They encourage you to arrive 30 minutes before movie time. You place your main order before the film starts with the wait person assigned to your section. So the main part of everyone's food order should arrive before the movie starts. If anything is needed during the course of the movie then you press a button to summon the waitperson. I would imagine that they try to stay out of the way as much as possible and that the seat heights have been configured to try to eliminate as much interruption as possible.

    They also have a restaurant/bar area that you can dine in whether you watch a movie or not. So perhaps the fare that will be served there will be a quality above what regular theaters offer as they hope to attract non-movie-going patrons as well.

    As far as movies go it seems to be all first run films at the other locations. As far as indy films are concerned, I don't see them being on offer. This seems to be more of a commercial venture thus films geared for a wider audience. It is also dissimilar to those theaters I am familiar with (down south individually owned ones such as Suds and Cinema) that offered second run films and over 21 only admission. These theaters do not seem to have an age limit for entrance, so be aware that the "adult only" atmosphere some are craving may not be available.

    There are rumors that another movie theater may move to the burbs area. This time in Limerick closer to the Philadelphia Premium Outlets. More than likely if there will be one it will be along the lines of regular cinemas.

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2