Register
+ Reply to Thread
    Preesi is offline Senior Member

Default Movie Tavern is almost done

Providence Town Center (near Wegmans) in Collegeville, Pa

gren is offline Senior Member

What is Movie Tavern. Like those old cinemas where they'd serve you french fries and beer during the film?

ColeenH is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gren View Post
    What is Movie Tavern. Like those old cinemas where they'd serve you french fries and beer during the film?
    The theaters are small, at least in other locations around the country (30 people per theater in Williamsburg, VA). They serve meals/alcohol instead of snacks and soda. Stuff like wraps, panini, pizza, burgers, etc. Foods that generally don't require cutlery.

Each row of seating has a long table in front of it (kind of like a bar), where you can eat your food while you watch the movie. Insteaad of rows of seats, there are executive chairs.

kidphilly is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ColeenH View Post
    The theaters are small, at least in other locations around the country (30 people per theater in Williamsburg, VA). They serve meals/alcohol instead of snacks and soda. Stuff like wraps, panini, pizza, burgers, etc. Foods that generally don't require cutlery.

Each row of seating has a long table in front of it (kind of like a bar), where you can eat your food while you watch the movie. Insteaad of rows of seats, there are executive chairs.
    I saw this when at the Collegeville Wegmans recently. So long tables etc. Is it waitress service? I imagine the price points have to be high, is it like couches etc. Maybe one of these in the gallery on Market East (oh that is another thread). The concept seems odd but i did google the company and they seem to be getting traction. Oddly i may actually be tempted to check it out at some point

Bob_Head is offline Immoderat0r

I've really liked this concept in the past. It was really popular among the second-run houses before the DVD and PPV (and now streameing) markets killed them off. It was great, since you'd get in for a buck, and, since the house paid next to nothing for what was on the screen, they could keep the food and drink prices reasonable. I've missed having them around.

That said, for a first run house, I don't know. While Reel Pizza in Bar Harbor makes the idea work (with a nice blend of Indy and Art-House movies in the mix), that's an unusual situation. Movie Tavern just seems a little generic. In area with a number of quality screens nearby, it's going to be a challenge. Their menu certainly isn't anything I'd drive out of the way for.
    Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine.

LUCas is offline Senior Member

I might actually go to a movie theater again for the first time since the last Lord of the Rings movie. Thanks!
    "I am a <banned> liar." -Mr.Brightside

ColeenH is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
    I saw this when at the Collegeville Wegmans recently. So long tables etc. Is it waitress service? I imagine the price points have to be high, is it like couches etc. Maybe one of these in the gallery on Market East (oh that is another thread). The concept seems odd but i did google the company and they seem to be getting traction. Oddly i may actually be tempted to check it out at some point
    Yes, waitress service. You arrive at the theater, purchase your movie tickets, then go to the food counter and place your order, also telling them what theater you're in. Then a waitress brings the food to your seat.

VeganDike is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
    Oddly i may actually be tempted to check it out at some point
    That's odd indeed.

VeganDike is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Head View Post
    I've really liked this concept in the past. It was really popular among the second-run houses before the DVD and PPV (and now streameing) markets killed them off. It was great, since you'd get in for a buck, and, since the house paid next to nothing for what was on the screen, they could keep the food and drink prices reasonable. I've missed having them around.

That said, for a first run house, I don't know. While Reel Pizza in Bar Harbor makes the idea work (with a nice blend of Indy and Art-House movies in the mix), that's an unusual situation. Movie Tavern just seems a little generic. In area with a number of quality screens nearby, it's going to be a challenge. Their menu certainly isn't anything I'd drive out of the way for.
    I may find an opening on my calendar if you need some company, just saying.

NE19124 is offline Banned

same here. I haven't enjoyed going to the movies since lord of the rings and star wars episode III.
    Holywood churns out some real crap anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by LUCas View Post
    I might actually go to a movie theater again for the first time since the last Lord of the Rings movie. Thanks!

inside a movie tavern.
    Cool concept. Maybe the local movie houses will come back if this catches on.

Scoats is online now Moderator

So waitresses walk around during the movie blocking people's views?

Preesi is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scoats View Post
    Thats my question

I asked that of myself too.
    that would be real anoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoats View Post

karmah is offline Junior Member

At the Movie Tavern site they have a short film that shows the inside of the Collegeville location as well as descriptions of how it operates (food service, etc.).

Movie Tavern

This location does not have the one long table set up but rather individual tables affixed to seats. They encourage you to arrive 30 minutes before movie time. You place your main order before the film starts with the wait person assigned to your section. So the main part of everyone's food order should arrive before the movie starts. If anything is needed during the course of the movie then you press a button to summon the waitperson. I would imagine that they try to stay out of the way as much as possible and that the seat heights have been configured to try to eliminate as much interruption as possible.

They also have a restaurant/bar area that you can dine in whether you watch a movie or not. So perhaps the fare that will be served there will be a quality above what regular theaters offer as they hope to attract non-movie-going patrons as well.

As far as movies go it seems to be all first run films at the other locations. As far as indy films are concerned, I don't see them being on offer. This seems to be more of a commercial venture thus films geared for a wider audience. It is also dissimilar to those theaters I am familiar with (down south individually owned ones such as Suds and Cinema) that offered second run films and over 21 only admission. These theaters do not seem to have an age limit for entrance, so be aware that the "adult only" atmosphere some are craving may not be available.

There are rumors that another movie theater may move to the burbs area. This time in Limerick closer to the Philadelphia Premium Outlets. More than likely if there will be one it will be along the lines of regular cinemas.