Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 240
  1. #1
    enyo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,094

    Default Where do Morals come from?

    Would we know right from wrong without religion? I have heard Paul bring this case up a few times. Acts of altruism have been witnessed in many species of animals. I think this is strongly related.

    Robots show the evolution of altruism

    Scientists in Switzerland have pieced together the puzzle on the evolution of unselfish behaviour. They simulated genetic evolution over hundreds of generations by using simple robots, providing evidence of kin selection. Presented in the journal PLoS Biology, the study was backed in part by the EU projects ECAGENTS and SWARMANOID with a combined funding of EUR 6.8 million.

    READ MORE

  2. #2
    Bob_Head's Avatar
    Bob_Head is offline Immoderat0r
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,287

    Default

    Where do Morals come from?
    I get mine from the dollar store. I think they get them from China.
    Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine.

  3. #3
    raider.adam is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sharswood
    Posts
    16,193

    Default

    Grand Theft Auto

  4. #4
    NE19149 is offline (^!^)
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Beautiful Downtown Mayfair
    Posts
    3,068

    Default

    Ya live your life in a decent way.
    Ya show some decency and consideration for others.
    Ya take care of your property...... hell it's yours, appreciate it.
    Ya don't let yourself be swayed by propoganda and advertising.... weak minded people needing a crutch do that crap.
    If ya want excitement, search out things that will benefit you in the long run.... short-term amusement will only give you grief in the end.
    Same goes for cheap sex.
    Am I clear?

  5. #5
    hammersklavier's Avatar
    hammersklavier is offline A Fortnight Dead
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Philly
    Posts
    2,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by enyo View Post
    Where do morals come from?
    I dunno. Ask Nietzsche.
    "It was one of those moments that would have had dramatic music if my life were a movie, but instead I got a radio jingle for some kind of submarine sandwich blaring over the store's ambient stereo. Man, the movie of my life must be really low-budget." Dead Beat

    Help oppose SCRUB and bring some life back to Market East! Concerned Citizens for Market East Check out my new blog, too!

  6. #6
    Mr Morley is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    8th & Tasker
    Posts
    4,920

    Default

    I assume they're harvested at low tide, just like any other mollusk.

  7. #7
    OldMama is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bella Vista
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    Gee, Mr. Morley, do you know nothing about gastronomy? Morals grow in cool damp areas, like mushrooms.

  8. #8
    Pibbles is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by enyo View Post
    Would we know right from wrong without religion? I have heard Paul bring this case up a few times. Acts of altruism have been witnessed in many species of animals. I think this is strongly related.

    Robots show the evolution of altruism
    It depends who you ask. Kant believed that humans have an inherent sense of good-will, Kohlberg believes we start learning from our parents and then evolve to take on societal morals. There are a lot of philosophies that don't really have to do specifically with religion.

  9. #9
    Mr Morley is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    8th & Tasker
    Posts
    4,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldMama View Post
    Gee, Mr. Morley, do you know nothing about gastronomy? Morals grow in cool damp areas, like mushrooms.
    You know, somehow as a child, I got it into my head that they were a type of mussel, and obviously that's still lurking at the back of my brain, making me wrong.

  10. #10
    hammersklavier's Avatar
    hammersklavier is offline A Fortnight Dead
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Philly
    Posts
    2,738

    Default

    Aren't morals mushrooms?
    "It was one of those moments that would have had dramatic music if my life were a movie, but instead I got a radio jingle for some kind of submarine sandwich blaring over the store's ambient stereo. Man, the movie of my life must be really low-budget." Dead Beat

    Help oppose SCRUB and bring some life back to Market East! Concerned Citizens for Market East Check out my new blog, too!

  11. #11
    OldMama is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bella Vista
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    Actually morels are mushrooms. Morals are something else altogether.

    I've known many non-religious, agnostic, and atheistic people who've had a strong moral sense. And some who don't. I've known many churchgoers who've had a strong moral sense. And some who don't. I'm a churchgoer myself, but I get upset with those who equate morals as "Christian" values. Jew have no morals? Hindus? Christians don't have a monopoly on morals (as we well know based to previous posts by certain posters). Having morals should have little to do with the expectation of some heavenly afterlife and everything to do with acting responsibly in this life.

  12. #12
    enyo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,094

    Default

    I agree old mama. I think the moral superiority christian crowd act more as sociopaths than their counterparts 50 percent of the time. The "Christian values, Christian Nation" crowd makes me wanna promote Islam out of spite.

    I'll have to do a little more reading on Nietzche before I can fully digest what he is saying.

    GTA - good one.

  13. #13
    2happy4u is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Morals are a part of your package. The problem is many of us have moral codes but we can't live up to them at times. We often sense we shouldn't do something but we do it anyway. Later on we feel Guilt and self Condemnation. This usually occurs when we are alone. On the other hand some will share their mistake with friends seeking allies to ease the guilt, if what they did wasn't to shameful, then they may seek a therapist. Don't know very many christians but the ones I do don't claim moral superiority, in fact they claim to be sinners.

  14. #14
    phoenix's Avatar
    phoenix is offline meh.
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    somewhere in SouPhilly
    Posts
    501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldMama View Post
    Actually morels are mushrooms. Morals are something else altogether.

    I've known many non-religious, agnostic, and atheistic people who've had a strong moral sense. And some who don't. I've known many churchgoers who've had a strong moral sense. And some who don't. I'm a churchgoer myself, but I get upset with those who equate morals as "Christian" values. Jew have no morals? Hindus? Christians don't have a monopoly on morals (as we well know based to previous posts by certain posters). Having morals should have little to do with the expectation of some heavenly afterlife and everything to do with acting responsibly in this life.
    Funny, the night before last at work, a coworker was telling me that "I was too kind to be an athiest, I must be Christian, I just didn't know it" to which I replied that heathens can be nice, too...what DO you say to that?

    Later in in the night when we had down time (I work in a hospital) he kept trying to pick my brain, wanted to know why I would want to donate time and money to a cause, for example, if I am not getting any 'reward in heaven' or some such nonsense. I really didn't want to get into it with him, but I did say that even as a child, when I was religious and read the bible faithfully, I thought the 'reward in heaven' was silly...you help others because you don't want to see others suffer, or you want to make others happy. End of story.

    I would think your moral code you adopt would be something you learn from society and your parents, generally. Mind, I managed to pick up some ****ty ideas of right and wrong from my foster parents, and I managed to see that they were rules that I couldn't live by, and I managed to change, in fact, I think when it comes to some ideas, we change and grow...mostly for the better, I would hope.

    Just my two cents....

  15. #15
    whatever is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Head View Post
    I get mine from the dollar store. I think they get them from China.

    yeah Bobhead suggests rape toward people. Trash dump behind $ store. Morals are not from Philly.

  16. #16
    supersupper's Avatar
    supersupper is offline Appetizer
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    OC
    Posts
    2,106

    Default

    Do unto others as you would have others do to you.

    Most people simply act "morally" correct because of the simple fact it works best all the way around. Sometimes we all slip up or take an easy route, hence religious philosophies various propensities to allow for the "sinner's forgiveness" clause.

    If you are cocky and full of self importance or hubris or self confidence, you do what you want to obtain what you want (or what you think is right) because you are pretty sure no one is smarter/more powerfull than you, and so can't do to you what you did to them... which generally has a snowball effect.

    Then again, about 6-10% of the human population are psychopaths, which means they simply act out of self-interest with no empathy. That 10% pervades everywhere, whether it be politicians, religious leaders, CEO's, the grocery store checkout person, or Cleveland Ohio.

    Religion was created in part to help the victims of psychopaths feel okay that they were victimized. BTW, the other part of the reason for the creation of religion was as an instrument of psychopaths (or psychopath wannabes) to control the general populace.


    off to the fireworks !
    SooooooooooooooooPER ........................ SL O WD O WN

  17. #17
    mixiboi's Avatar
    mixiboi is offline Philly Remixed
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawncrest
    Posts
    9,869

    Default

    should ask him

    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

  18. #18
    Gone is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    333

    Default

    It's by "CHANCE" we have morals.

  19. #19
    raider.adam is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sharswood
    Posts
    16,193

    Default

    From painters who are bad spellers.

  20. #20
    markedixon is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by enyo View Post
    Would we know right from wrong without religion?[/B]
    An anthropologist would probably say that morals come from agriculture, i.e., farming. Farming requires people to settle in one place and, therefore, to develop relationships with neighbors, who are also living in one place. Getting along with neighbors adds to everyone's odds of survival.

    I'm going to guess that animals who exhibit altruism probably live in packs, where the dynamic is similar to that of humans.

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2