Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    cdiddy is offline Member

Default OPA Assessments for 2014 Now Available Online

If you're too impatient like me to wait for the mail to come tomorrow/Tuesday, you can now look online:

City of Philadelphia: Property Information

palvar is offline Senior Member

I think we're crashing the OPA website right now. AVI'd?

seand is online now Senior Member

Well if you are like me the site is crashing when you go to do a property search because of some kind of server side error.

raider.adam is offline Senior Member

Yup, server go boom.

Brian616 is online now Senior Member

ArticSplash found a quick link:

AVI Calculator

seand is online now Senior Member

At 1.25% I'm going down. With homestead exemption, even more. Woo hoo!

At 1.4% its $100 increase.

These numbers are way lower than people feared, it appears.

Strangely my commercial property like tripled its tax bill. I thought one of the complaints was that AVI was shifting the burden off commercial properties.
    Last edited by seand; 02-15-2013 at 02:33 PM.

MariusPontmercy is offline poor grad student

Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    At 1.25% I'm going down. With homestead exemption, even more. Woo hoo!

At 1.4% its $100 increase.

These numbers are way lower than people feared, it appears.

Strangely my commercial property like tripled its tax bill. I thought one of the complaints was that AVI was shifting the burden off commercial properties.
    Because they didn't change the metric used to calculate use and occupancy?
    "imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations hath diverse names" - Thomas Hobbes

ShoshTrvls is offline Senior Member

As I posted on the other thread, I'm looking at an increase of $700 or less. I can't (and won't be) complaining.

macdaire is offline Senior Member

Wow. My property is valued at $225,000 more than what I just got appraised for and it would mean a quadrupling of my tax bill. Is there an appeals process in place yet?
    Found it. This clearly indicates that reviews of permits were not done (no surprise that the city did shoddy work). My house was compared to other updated properties on the street even though it has 1 bathroom and no interior work done to it! Nice work City of Philadelphia. You inspire me daily.
    Last edited by macdaire; 02-15-2013 at 03:41 PM.

BrianL is online now Senior Member

nothing like a 700% increase, and that is at the low end. I knew it would go up but that is way more than I thought.

palvar is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by macdaire View Post
    Wow. My property is valued at $225,000 more than what I just got appraised for and it would mean a tripling of my tax bill. Is there an appeals process in place yet?
    What neighborhood do you live in?

Brian616 is online now Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
    nothing like a 700% increase, and that is at the low end. I knew it would go up but that is way more than I thought.
    Were you paying attention? I multiplied my house value by 1.4% months ago. My new bill will be much less than that, and I'm happy. I'm getting a 400% increase, but that says more about my old bill than anything else.

ShoshTrvls is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by palvar View Post
    What neighborhood do you live in?
    And what are you currently paying?

Debbie1125 is offline Senior Member

Hopefully the $30,000 homestead will be allowed. I just did the calculation using several different variables. The lowest property tax would be with the $30,000 exemption and the 1.25%.

Any other scenario and I am putting my house up for sale. No way in hell am I paying double what I am now.

macdaire is offline Senior Member

I live in G-Ho. However, like I said, the appraisal I just had done (oct.) appraised my house at $225,000 less than the city! I could not re-fi based on appraisal. Hell If I could get the $450,000 the city are saying I would be gone...

andrewd is offline Member

650%-ish increase here but I guess I am still Chicken Little.

I'm not surprised but my "market value" is inflated by at least 20%. If I could actually sell the house for what the city says it's worth I'd sign the paperwork and run. So I'll be appealing, another non-surprise there.

I'm in the same boat as a lot of people, trying to decide if it's worth it to stay here paying the equivalent of 2.5 extra mortgage payments a year in taxes or move to the burbs and get something for my money (which is what I imagine at least half of my block is going to do when they see the letters next week).

Debbie1125 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by andrewd View Post
    650%-ish increase here but I guess I am still Chicken Little.

I'm not surprised but my "market value" is inflated by at least 20%. If I could actually sell the house for what the city says it's worth I'd sign the paperwork and run. So I'll be appealing, another non-surprise there.

I'm in the same boat as a lot of people, trying to decide if it's worth it to stay here paying the equivalent of 2.5 extra mortgage payments a year in taxes or move to the burbs and get something for my money (which is what I imagine at least half of my block is going to do when they see the letters next week).
    I'm going for the appeal also. I will wait and see what city council does. However, I don't have much faith in them or the mayor. All of them are a bunch of bumbling, inept morons.

cdiddy is offline Member

Thanks for posting the link-- that is working much better.

I've tooled around a bit on my block, and I have to say these estimates don't make a whole lot of sense to me. This is purely anecdotal, but the places on either side of my property, which have identical 16 x 80 lots, are showing variations in the "land value" component of nearly $16k between them. Shouldn't properties that are adjacent to each other at least have the same land value? I mean, land is land and the location is as identical as you can get.

And the assessment of the improvements are also pretty off to me. Two recently rehabbed properties on the opposite side of the street-- the much nicer one has been assessed at $125k over the less nicer one. A friend's place in rittenhouse was assessed for $300k LESS than what they paid last year for it, but another friend's house 3 blocks away is $30k MORE than she paid for last summer.

raider.adam is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
    Hopefully the $30,000 homestead will be allowed. I just did the calculation using several different variables. The lowest property tax would be with the $30,000 exemption and the 1.25%.

Any other scenario and I am putting my house up for sale. No way in hell am I paying double what I am now.
    The tax rate with a $30K exemption isn't going to be 1.25. It will be more about 1.4%.

The 30K exemption helps me, but I don't think they should have it.

andrewd is offline Member

There is weirdness on my block as well.

Two adjacent homes, same sq footage, same bed/baths.

Property "A" sold 4/2011 for $110k, actual value at $188k.

Property "B" sold 10/2011 for $180k, actual value at $188k.