Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    NavalSquare is offline SquareNaval

January Zoning Committee Meeting
    Date: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 7:00pm - 9:00pm
    Location: 1941 Christian Street St. Charles Senior Community Center
    Philadelphia, PA 19146

The January meeting of the SOSNA Zoning Committee will take place Wedneday January 18th at the St. Charles Senior Community Center, 1941 Christian Street. Time 7-9 PM.

# 7 on Agenda

7.2319-27 Fitzwater Street (Greater St. Matthews) INFORMATIONAL: Presentation about the renovation of existing church and rectory to be apartments.

Gladys is online now Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by NavalSquare View Post
    Philadelphia, PA 19146

The January meeting of the SOSNA Zoning Committee will take place Wedneday January 18th at the St. Charles Senior Community Center, 1941 Christian Street. Time 7-9 PM.

# 7 on Agenda

7.2319-27 Fitzwater Street (Greater St. Matthews) INFORMATIONAL: Presentation about the renovation of existing church and rectory to be apartments.
    do we know who purchased it? the last church i know of that was made into apartments was chapel lofts over on green . Huge fire not really recovered.
    Last edited by Gladys; 01-10-2012 at 12:31 PM.
    "If you're going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh; otherwise they'll kill you."
    - attributed to both George Bernard Shaw & Oscar Wilde

"I never clean up after my dogs, because I have trained them to run with me off leash while I ride my bike the wrong way on the sidewalk."
    - LUCas
    Originally Posted by Dave L We need to focus on banning both singers who crap on the sidewalk and dogs that annoy people with their singing. - Mondo

Mustard is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by NavalSquare View Post
    Philadelphia, PA 19146

# 7 on Agenda

More C2 to residential... Why even bother with the presentation just stamp it approved now.

Gladys is online now Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
    More C2 to residential... Why even bother with the presentation just stamp it approved now.
    depends on who is doing the developing.
    "If you're going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh; otherwise they'll kill you."
    - attributed to both George Bernard Shaw & Oscar Wilde

"I never clean up after my dogs, because I have trained them to run with me off leash while I ride my bike the wrong way on the sidewalk."
    - LUCas
    Originally Posted by Dave L We need to focus on banning both singers who crap on the sidewalk and dogs that annoy people with their singing. - Mondo

Gaillimh is offline Member

I don't mean for facts to get in the way, but the church is zoned R10 and the rectory is zoned R10A. The zoning refusals will likely be for lack of off-street parking (1 per unit required), lack open space and lack of rear-yard setbacks.

Grad hospital is offline Senior Member

Default re:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaillimh View Post
    I don't mean for facts to get in the way, but the church is zoned R10 and the rectory is zoned R10A. The zoning refusals will likely be for lack of off-street parking (1 per unit required), lack open space and lack of rear-yard setbacks.
    Call it potential commercial. A church is not a residential usage technically. The rectory currently is office space.

Lolly is offline your neighbor

Note item #7...

January Zoning Committee Meeting | SOSNA | South of South Neighborhood Association

1941 Christian Street St. Charles Senior Community Center

AGENDA: (as of Jan. 9)

1.2nd Presentation: 2025 Washington Avenue (Next Fab Studios): Application for Next Fab Studios to open a location on Washington Avenue for classes on ndustrial design and much more, with a small cafe. (NextFab Studio : Home)

2.2nd Presentation: 1607 Catharine Street (former YWCA): Application for the renovation of the existing structure for use as 20 dwellings (revised down from 23) with 15 accessory parking spaces.

3.2531-35 Montrose Street: Erection of three single-family homes with front-loading garages; two have refusals for not providing sufficient open area. (postponed until February 22 SOSNA Zoning Committee Mtg.)

4.1923 Kimball Street: Erection of a single-family home with a roof deck.

5.1909 Kimball Street: Erection of a single-family home with a roof deck.

6.727 South 19th Street (former Mt. Olive AME Church) INFORMATIONAL: Demolition of existing church and erection of 5 single-family homes with rear-access parking thru a common driveway.

emc
    emc is offline Senior Member

Did anyone attend the meeting and get more information on the proposed project?

Quote Originally Posted by Lolly View Post

Default re

It was interesting. All residential, 35ish units with no parking. For all of the outcry over parking it was surprising there wasn't more angry villagers.

some of the units are 300 SF apparently.

Brian616 is offline Senior Member

It was interesting. All residential, 35ish units with no parking. For all of the outcry over parking it was surprising there wasn't more angry villagers.

So who bought the church? Was it Toll after all? The parking shouldn't be a big deal, really. That location is right near the 12, 7, and 40 buses, as well as 10 minutes from a busy RR station.

Not toll and not sold, under contract by a company called Vintage.

Your adding 35+ residential units to the block which more than doubles it's density. Can you use public trans? yes, does that mean the no one living there will have a car? no. When you factor in visitors, contractors and services for the building itself, commuters and those who simple have a car for day to day life it's fairly large number of vehicles your putting on the block.

Not toll and not sold, under contract by a company called Vintage.

Your adding 35+ residential units to the block which more than doubles it's density. Can you use public trans? yes, does that mean the no one living there will have a car? no. When you factor in visitors, contractors and services for the building itself, commuters and those who simple have a car for day to day life it's fairly large number of vehicles your putting on the block.
    As opposed to the number of vehicles involved when the church was full of parishioners on Sundays and events at other times. I wish someone would do a study about how many vehicles on average per household there really are.

PS I believe the company under contract to buy and convert the place to rental units it is called Vantage...?

ratt2581 is online now Member

am i reading that correct? 300 square foot units?

Gaillimh is offline Member

I believe there were two 350 SF units. Most of the units were closer or over 1000 SF. The presentation was only informational and the developer was asked to merge the 350 SF units with other units.

As opposed to the number of vehicles involved when the church was full of parishioners on Sundays and events at other times. I wish someone would do a study about how many vehicles on average per household there really are.

PS I believe the company under contract to buy and convert the place to rental units it is called Vantage...?
    The best indications is the fact that the streets are jammed solid with cars even before you add another 35 units. Maybe you adding 15 or 20 or 30 cars but whatever it is it's a lot more than whats there now.

dr_gingivitis is offline The Moral Authority

I wish someone would do a study about how many vehicles on average per household there really are.
    .56-.58
    "After it was all over, he took us in the house and served us pancakes. Pancakes!"

Quote Originally Posted by dr_gingivitis View Post
    .56-.58
    Interesting. That's about what I would have guessed. So about 15 cars. Wonder how many will be disappearing along with the congregation.

macdaire is offline Senior Member

The concern witrh the church was parking. However, it was about illegal parking that endangered peds and drivers. Even last week I had to walk on the street because the pastor et al. had blocked the entire sidewalk.

Default ?

Interesting. That's about what I would have guessed. So about 15 cars. Wonder how many will be disappearing along with the congregation.
    a more realistic number 25 - 30 with plus all the services, deliveries, maintenance etc

petefm is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dr_gingivitis View Post
    .56-.58
    Is that for our existing neighborhood as a whole or for new construction?