Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lolly is offline your neighbor

Default Carpenter Square (new development coming to 17th & Carpenter)

So who else saw this presented at SOSNA the other night?

Update: SOSNA in Awe of Carpenter Square | NakedPhilly

How cool is that design?

jkl
    jkl is offline Member

Wan't able to make the meeting, but heard great things about the proposal for Carpenter Square. Looks great! We can't wait

ACretin is offline Banned

that corner there needs some trees or something. it's ugly. the rest of it looks OK, but could look dated rather quickly, given it's flashy appearance today. is that a homeless person sitting against the wall there in the corner area? because that's what you're going to get with that design. at least add something green rather than gray to the corner. i'm still unclear on why we need to use taxpayer money via the RDA or whomever was soliciting bids for that property. why couldn't it have been sold at a profit to a developer who would use his own private funds to develop it? does the city need to be in this business of financing these types of developments?

Grad hospital is offline Senior Member

Default metro

Did anyone see the Metro Impact presentation with a very similar number of homes right before them?

Yikes!

You have no idea how the RDA works do you?

They don't finance any part of the project. They basically did auction it off the highest bidder. There isn't a dime of tax payer money going into the project besides. IN fact the Developer is paying a fortune back to the RDA for the land they (RDA) got basically for zilch.

Quote Originally Posted by ACretin View Post
    that corner there needs some trees or something. it's ugly. the rest of it looks OK, but could look dated rather quickly, given it's flashy appearance today. is that a homeless person sitting against the wall there in the corner area? because that's what you're going to get with that design. at least add something green rather than gray to the corner. i'm still unclear on why we need to use taxpayer money via the RDA or whomever was soliciting bids for that property. why couldn't it have been sold at a profit to a developer who would use his own private funds to develop it? does the city need to be in this business of financing these types of developments?

They don't finance any part of the project. They basically did auction it off to the highest bidder. There isn't a dime of tax payer money going into the project. IN fact the Developer is paying a fortune back to the RDA for the land they (RDA) got basically for zilch

Franklin Stove is offline Junior Member

Looks like someone missed the meeting (i.e. the time to vocalize issues you have with the plans). Thank god you still have the internet, so the rest of us won't be denied your thoughtful musings.

For what its worth, the corner space is adjacent the to commercial space, for which a restaurant is being targeted. Seems like a prime spot for outdoor seating, something Philly as a whole is sorely lacking.

dr_gingivitis is offline The Moral Authority

The corner will be heavily planted, the trees and furnishings for the corner were removed from this rendering because the specifics for the plaza may change based upon the commercial use, but I assure you it will not be plane concrete and no vegetation. Take a look at the site plan:

There will be at least four trees around the outside and more vegetation in the plaza.
    "After it was all over, he took us in the house and served us pancakes. Pancakes!"

VWPHILLY is offline Senior Member

I hope they can build this project with all the features they want and get the price point they are looking for, it is a beautiful layout. Me personally being in the engineering field can't see how they are going to get all that `high-end' construction and offer these houses for $550.000, I sure hope nothing gets valued engineered out.

Burholme06 is online now Senior Member

Wow, that a nice development! 17th and Washington has come a long way but man, this is shocking.

torts is offline Senior Member

As a long-term resident I object to this proposal. Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.

Coco is offline Ut'n Sietland

Quote Originally Posted by Grad hospital View Post
    Did anyone see the Metro Impact presentation with a very similar number of homes right before them?

Yikes!
    Yeah! He could benefit from an 'epiphany'.

mesok is offline Member

Nice logo!

em386 is offline Junior Member

Default Metro Impact houses-- what will they look like and where will they be?

Could someone please briefly describe the Metro Impact proposal? I wasn't there at the meeting (temporarily out of country) but I'd love to know. Thanks!

phillyfanatic is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by em386 View Post
    Could someone please briefly describe the Metro Impact proposal? I wasn't there at the meeting (temporarily out of country) but I'd love to know. Thanks!
    The plans are posted on Metro Impact's Facebook page -- the date of the post is October 21st, so you may have to scroll down a bit to get to older posts. You might consider messaging him and asking him to rework the plans -- Steve seems to listen to neighborhood concerns and I know that most people think that the facades for these houses are very unimaginative. In light of the plans for 17th/Carpenter which set the bar a lot higher, Metro Impact's plans for Montrose Street are unacceptable. Metro Impact Homes | Facebook

Dolemite is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lolly View Post

How cool is that design?
    While I would never be opposed to something like this, personally I don't like the look of the development.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    While I would never be opposed to something like this, personally I don't like the look of the development.
    Fair enough. Different strokes for different folks. That's the beauty though. There's plenty of room in our neighborhood, and cities in general, for (good) designs of all types. Personally I prefer when things are mixed up a bit, and find more modern designs like this very appealing. I think they're more interesting and, frankly, honest than new buildings that try to look old/traditional. (Cough cough, Toll...)

ACretin is offline Banned

Default excuse me?

Quote Originally Posted by Grad hospital View Post

They don't finance any part of the project. They basically did auction it off to the highest bidder. There isn't a dime of tax payer money going into the project. IN fact the Developer is paying a fortune back to the RDA for the land they (RDA) got basically for zilch
    Look I don't attack other posters personally, so I'd appreciate it if you'd not go after me, just because I have a different opinion. Rather than insulting me about how naive I am concerning the inner workings of the RDA, how about considering my comments with the possibility in mind that you may actually learn something yourself, or at least be exposed to another viewpoint held by your neighbor and fellow citizen.

I know the RDA doesn't pay taxes on the property it "holds", so I can tell you that's one big revenue negative aspect of the property to date, as well as the two RDA properties across from my own house. Too often these are political footballs, held by the poltically connected, but paid for by the rest of us in the sense that we lose city revenue with them sitting there with no tax revenue coming in; normally there would be maintenance expenses, and although the RDA doesn't keep up its properties (no weed removal or snow removal on lots, for example), I'd expect there are quite a few people on the staff at RDA who purportedly do just that.
    Also, why not simply list the parcel on the MLS, rather than a relatively poorly advertised, sealed-bid auction or other bidding process, which inevitably cuts many potential buyers out of the picture, and results in a lower sales price - i.e. a subsidy for the few developers who qualify for RDAs terms and/or connections. A system that rules out pay-to-play this was not.

Separately, I'm happy that there will be some extra greenery on the corner. I still think that kind of design will look dated in the long term, whereas a more traditional design will not. I also fault many rear-driveway developments for storm-water runoff issues; there's nothing "green" about having in essense concrete backyards, and I think this is a particularly silly sacrifice of a grass backyard to save free parking on the street for some yahoo. This does not mean I disapprove of the project, just that I'm not in love with the design. That doesn't make me a bad person, just one with a slightly different opinion. I have a right to have and express a different opinion.
    Last edited by ACretin; 11-22-2011 at 01:21 PM.

Brian616 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
    The plans are posted on Metro Impact's Facebook page -- the date of the post is October 21st, so you may have to scroll down a bit to get to older posts. You might consider messaging him and asking him to rework the plans -- Steve seems to listen to neighborhood concerns and I know that most people think that the facades for these houses are very unimaginative. In light of the plans for 17th/Carpenter which set the bar a lot higher, Metro Impact's plans for Montrose Street are unacceptable. Metro Impact Homes | Facebook
    From his wall:
    "You'll be happy to know that at this moment the architect which is designing my Fitzwater project, is working on the facades for Montrose. I'll do my best to build something that will not only look good, but is actually feasible on that block and in the current market. I don't think anyone will be happy with an over the top proposal that will either never come to fruition, or won't sell (in a reasonable time, nor reasonable price). I agree, Carpenter Square proposal looks great, and I wish them the best of luck."

So we'll see. That's a pretty weird block to begin with.

I also fault many rear-driveway developments for storm-water runoff issues; there's nothing "green" about having in essense concrete backyards, and I think this is a particularly silly sacrifice of a grass backyard to save free parking on the street for some yahoo.
    Guess you didn't notice the bit about the bioswale.

From Update: SOSNA in Awe of Carpenter Square | NakedPhilly

"Most interesting is the bioswale, a constructive vegetative buffer with a drainage bin, that will run the entire eastern property line of the project."

"Bioswale example. We expect the one at Carpenter Square will be even fancier."