Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    CommonSense is offline Junior Member

Default "Reserved" Handicapped Parking

Question as how to handle this situation (apologies for length):

The church on my block puts a cone in the handicapped parking spot in front of the church despite having an adjoining parking lot, as well as, a parking lot across the street. Now I completely understand reserving it on Sundays but everyday of the week? That's not very Christian now.

Moreover, about 4 car lengths down the street is another handicapped parking spot in front of a residential house. The other night upon returning home from the airport I parked my rental car in the handicapped spot in front of the home (I have a valid handicapped placard and ID card). The next morning when taking the car back, the man that lives at that house comes out screaming at me that if I ever park there again, my car will be damaged. I explain I have the right to park there, etc. to which he now threatens bodily harm. He then tells me "You people don't belong in this neighborhood" (He is black, I am white). I educated him that by his rational, black people should not be allowed to live in Society Hill, nor Rittenshouse Square, and that I was appalled at his bigotry. He then calmed down some, and said "I mean you people that come in here and cause trouble" I videotaped it on my cell phone. Long story short I called the police. Cop wasn't going to even get out of his car until I turned the video back on on my cell and asked "So you are not going to do anything after this guy threatened bodily harm and property damage if I park legally in spot in front of his house..typical Philly cop" He reluctantly got out and educated the man that he cannot reserve the spot unless it has a specific id number for him. Cope leaves....and next day there is now a Philly water department cone in front of his house now.

What should I do?

I know I could petition the city for a handicapped spot in front of my house, but my partner and I do not own a car, as we use carshare or rent when needed, so doing this would take yet another spot away from the general parkers.

thanks!

Coco is offline Ut'n Sietland

That's a tough one, I think. My handicapped neighbor petitioned the Streets Dept. and received approval for a "handicap parking only" sign in front of his house (his car has a handicap license plate). Too many times, however, someone else with a portable handicap tag (usually from 2-3 blocks away) parks in this spot in front of his house, forcing him to find a parking place in another block or even further and then walking back to his house in his handicapped condition.
    Personally, I would be very reluctant to park in someone else's handicap spot, even if it does not indicate that it is assigned to a specific location.
    If the sign is in front of someone's home, you can bet that the homeowner asked for and got approval for it. It's a matter of courtesy, I think.

guzzijason is offline Mostly Human

Ugh. We've got one on our block. Handicapped spot in front of someone's house that they feel they own. Always keep it reserved withe a cone. I wouldn't have a problem with it except the person that actually uses it isn't even handicapped. Apparently, they have a parent that is, but this parent never leaves the house - let alone drives the car. Ever. Apparently, they feel they are entitled to the space because the family are "old-timers" in the neighborhood. Such bull****.

__Jason

My neighbor usually shrugs his shoulders and puts up with it, no matter what the inconvenience to him. Luckily, my own car is protected in a garage (unless someone parks in front of it which also happens a lot). What folks have to consider perhaps is that most of these handicapped people are elderly and might require emergency visits to the doctors or hospitals and rather than calling 911, might drive to their preferred and nearest hospital where their doctor is located - 911 will take them to whatever ER has the lightest load at that time. There is probably a good reason why people have this preferred parking tag.

I love how it's ok for this racist bs plus making
    threats of violence - that's what is right beneath the surface. I call it getting the "usual" - because it always sounds the same. Oh they're not racists though - it's the "newcomers" right? But if u say something then 4 more guys are taking his side and threatening you, because they live next door, don't have jobs so they hang around all day and live to hate on white people as the source of all their problems. This neighborhood was originally Irish predominantly (check the census); it wasn't African-American till the 1890s at the earliest. Most of these "old timers" moved here after the riots in the 1960s. All the educated people left, white or black. What you're dealing with is the lowest common denominator.

And all the drug guys by me seem to have cars with handicapped permits. It's a scam. I've never seen a handicapped person driving the cars this family uses.

lbphilly is offline Occupant

Quote Originally Posted by nostradamamamos View Post
    I love how it's ok for this racist bs plus making
    threats of violence - that's what is right beneath the surface. I call it getting the "usual" - because it always sounds the same. Oh they're not racists though - it's the "newcomers" right? But if u say something then 4 more guys are taking his side and threatening you, because they live next door, don't have jobs so they hang around all day and live to hate on white people as the source of all their problems. This neighborhood was originally Irish predominantly (check the census); it wasn't African-American till the 1890s at the earliest. Most of these "old timers" moved here after the riots in the 1960s. All the educated people left, white or black. What you're dealing with is the lowest common denominator.

And all the drug guys by me seem to have cars with handicapped permits. It's a scam. I've never seen a handicapped person driving the cars this family uses.
    Without addressing any of the other remarks in this post, I will say that I understand 1920 to have been the census in which the neighborhood became majority African American. That said, there has been a significant African American presence here since the 1890s, if not before, and I believe the Irish, the African-Americans, and eastern European Jews managed to live here in relative amity for some time. EDIT: And a significant number of "old timers"or their families moved up here from the south well before the riots, in search of factory jobs in the wartime 1940s.
    Laura Blanchard
    lb_philly@yahoo.com

[The "ignore" feature from your control panel is a great way to improve the civility of discourse on this bulletin board]

bp_
    bp_ is offline cannonball coming

Quote Originally Posted by CommonSense View Post

What should I do?
    steal the cone

Mr.Paintbrush is offline Senior Member

I have a suggestion ....since most likely the only other folks that would park in this specific spot besides the angered gentleman's vehicle would be handicapped or the like ...how often can this possibly occur with anyone else besides you? So why not go back and talk this out. Since you normally rent/car share, the instances when you might be needing that spot for an extended time is probably very small. My guess is you're parked there for a brief time. Maybe you both can give each other a shout before or after when the spot is needed. Then this gentleman can repark when you're finished with your needs. I bet he can bend a dozen times a year considering he probably sits in that spot the remaining 353 days of the year. Maybe a snow shoveling barter. I wish I had the gift of a guaranteed parking spot and had to share with someone that didn't even own a car ...I would count myself lucky and be as flexible as needed.

WWDaze is offline Happily in Exile

You stated don't have a vehicle, so how do you normally get around? As far as getting your own spot, it's not as easy as you might think regardless of the handicap.
    "The best argument against Democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter"-Winston Churchill

"I love a public service homicide, don't you"-Lennie Briscoe

bobl is offline Member

If I see a handicap spot in front of someone's house, I presume that the resident has an impairment that necessitates a parking spot close to their door. I have the common sense and good manners to park elsewhere. I don't understand why such situations should be "rocket science" to some people.

ACG
    ACG is offline Senior Member

Just on the subject of handicapped parking. I hate when people play handicapped parking police. Not all limitations are obvious. My mom has a handicapped hanger for her car and we have had people make comments when we exit the car - neither one of us "appears" handicapped. No, we don't appear it, but my mom has severe arthritis & damage to her knees that makes walking longer distances extremely difficult.

Unless you have a complete medical history of the person, there is no way to know what is going on inside their body... heart conditions, limited mobility not immediately obvious, or anything. Just because the symbol of handicapped parking is a person in a wheelchair doesn't mean anyone who doesn't use a wheelchair shouldn't have access to handicapped parking if a doctor agrees that it would be in their best interest.

OldCityTans is offline schadenfreudelicious

I don't get why you didn't just park in the HP spot in front of the church? Despite the cone, chances are slim anyone would have said anything, right?
    People accuse me of being overly competitive. I'm not. I'm the most non-competitive person in the world. No one even comes close.

Default Have City Council specify on the sign its just for that house

Quote Originally Posted by bobl View Post
    If I see a handicap spot in front of someone's house, I presume that the resident has an impairment that necessitates a parking spot close to their door. I have the common sense and good manners to park elsewhere. I don't understand why such situations should be "rocket science" to some people.
    For anyone else who dares to park in that space, do you also have the "good manners" to make threats of violence, and demand they leave the neighborhood based on their ethnicity being different than your own?

The "usual" is just that - very common. Don't preach about "good manners" when every jerk-off or his brother seems to feel that just because he is african-american he can do this crazy hateful bull****. If a white person said anything REMOTELY close to what this gentleman said to the lady, Al-freakin-Sharpton and a camera crew would show up in about 20 minutes. And if anybody african-american came to his defense, Jesse-Jackson would be there too denigrating them as "not a black person".

Why doesn't City Council just make the handicapped spaces designated for just a single homeowner/single house then? Seems they have plenty of time on their hands to pass legislation about satellite dishes, so I'm sure they could fit it in the docket too.

And although there are many valid handicapped permit holders, there are also many bogus permits, and many children and other family members of legitimate permit holders driving their vehicles without them in it, and using handicapped spaces.
    Last edited by nostradamamamos; 06-21-2010 at 02:34 PM.

bobl is offline Member

^You obviously have problems that go well beyond handicapped parking. I think that you will have a difficult time finding anyplace where you can practice White Entitlement any more.

Quote Originally Posted by bobl View Post
    ^You obviously have problems that go well beyond handicapped parking. I think that you will have a difficult time finding anyplace where you can practice White Entitlement any more.
    oh yeah, that's accurate. believe it or not, folks like me have civil rights too. sounds like your camp is the one that thinks they're entitled to have more rights than others, bucko.

PhillyKev is offline Super Troll

So, you don't have a handicap spot in front of your home, but want to use handicap spots in other locations, why? The reason those spots are located where they are (in front of the man's house, in front of the church) is for handicapped people to be able to park in close proximity to those things. Since you are apparently able to get along fine parking in handicap spots that are not directly in front of your home, why can't you park in non-handicap spots?

Default Jim Crow anyone?

the handicapped street sign does not specify that the space is owned by the homeowner. both people were handicapped. specifically holding the space and threatening others who attempt to use it is illegal, and you can be fined for it. i guess white folks with handicapped permits should defer to african-american's with permits, because they are more entitled to them. or even better, white folks should just not use them at all.

sounds like Jim Crow laws to me, and that's pretty much all this attitude is in terms of "long term residents" vs "new arrivals": you guys don't seem to think we have civil rights too, but we do buddies, we do

Can we send this racist diatribe to the dump? Please?!!!

And if you say anything about it you're a racist, right? Oh, I forgot, it's OK to tell white people to leave the neighborhood because they don't belong here. That's not racist, right? Did you place your call to Al Sharpton?

It's way past time long-term residents re-evaluated their racist ideologies and grew a little personally. I'm real tired of dealing with schmucks who still act like they are in south philly high school.

Pretty sure Darryl Clarke could take time off from taking over PECO, and introduce a bill on the floor of City Council to designate this type of handicap space as being for a specific home/homeowner. I'd support it. This is what you'd have to do in order for the street sign to denote whose house it belongs to. Why can't the homeowner and/or all you haters call up Darryl Clarke and get him to do this, instead of hating on your white neighbors?