Register
+ Reply to Thread
    Lauren85 is offline Junior Member

Default Point Breeze/South Philly with children

We are considering moving to Point Breeze with 2 young children (infant and 3 years old). I've been reading through older posts about safety/security issues and was wondering if anyone has children and how comfortable they are walking around by themselves or with their kids? Additionally, has anyone had any experience with the Learning Train Academy daycare center? I believe it's on Bainbridge Street. When we walked around Point Breeze on two different occasions we felt safe for the most part but wanted to see how others felt with kids. Thanks!

ofeibush is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren85 View Post
    We are considering moving to Point Breeze with 2 young children (infant and 3 years old). I've been reading through older posts about safety/security issues and was wondering if anyone has children and how comfortable they are walking around by themselves or with their kids? Additionally, has anyone had any experience with the Learning Train Academy daycare center? I believe it's on Bainbridge Street. When we walked around Point Breeze on two different occasions we felt safe for the most part but wanted to see how others felt with kids. Thanks!
    I do not have any kids of my own and will differ that part of your question to others on this forum. However, I know the owners of the Learning Train well as they are my tenants. They are the nicest couple I have had the pleasure of renting to and appear to run a wonderful daycare. I have been impressed by how much they care about their business over the last year.

Cool, thank you! Certainly reassuring.

Baloo is offline Senior Member

Where in Point Breeze? There's a HUGE difference between 15th and Federal and say...18th and Federal.

macdaire is offline Senior Member

You may also want to factor in future schooling options and if you plan to go public or private.

John Goodman is offline Senior Member

Depends, how tough are your kids? Can they fight?

sharkey is offline Senior Member

South Philly can change drastically from block to block. As far as a lot of PB, I hope your kids will be able to outrun a pit bull off a leash or duck a stray bullet.

Gone is offline Banned

Point Brz. Is rather large. Tiny parts of it Are moving in the right direction. I would have to say most of the neighborhood is pretty ugly. If you could be more Specific Or Give us a street name you will get a better answer.

3rd&Brown is offline Senior Member

I don't know Point Breeze all that well, but I do know that the Northern most reaches of Point Breeze are in the EM Stanton school catchment. They're also the most expensive streets in Point Breeze.

I would focus your search there, or on the blocks closest to the Tasker-Mifflin stop on the Broad Street Line, which is where, it seems gentrification is happening the fastest. It is also a short jaunt across Broad to everything that East Passyunk has to offer.

OffenseTaken is offline Junior Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
    I don't know Point Breeze all that well, but I do know that the Northern most reaches of Point Breeze are in the EM Stanton school catchment. They're also the most expensive streets in Point Breeze.

I would focus your search there, or on the blocks closest to the Tasker-Mifflin stop on the Broad Street Line, which is where, it seems gentrification is happening the fastest. It is also a short jaunt across Broad to everything that East Passyunk has to offer.
    Make that the northwestern most: above Federal and east of 18th. (Cater-corner from the American Sardine Bar, if that helps.)

JakeL is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by OffenseTaken View Post
    Make that the northwestern most: above Federal and east of 18th. (Cater-corner from the American Sardine Bar, if that helps.)
    Also, the closing of Smith Elementary means that the catchment areas will be redrawn after this year, so it could be subject to some changes, mainly expansion. Right now, those in the Smith catchment will be able to choose between Arthur, EM Stanton, and Childs. My hunch, just based on the maps, will be that Arthur will expand within the catchment area west of 23rd and Stanton and Childs will split between Federal St east of 23rd.

And shameless plug, if the original poster moves into one of the catchment areas, they should get involved with NICE (N.I.C.E. | Neighbors Investing In Childs Elementary) for Childs Elementary (which I'm a part of) or the Stanton group.
    Last edited by JakeL; 02-22-2013 at 11:01 PM.

Thanks Jake. Kids are daycare age as of right now so a few more years before we'd consider schools. We're looking forward to getting involved though and being active in the neighborhood!

Giavella Water is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren85 View Post
    C'mon...don't be so shy folks. Ask this OP what color their family is. There...relax...I did it for you.

You know it makes a difference. C'mon...you...know...it...makes...a...difference .

annie is offline Senior Member

Catchment Map Finder

New catchments are supposed to be out at the end of June though they said that last year and the new catchments came out in the beginning of August. And don't forget the Friends of Chester Arthur.

sharkey is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Giavella Water View Post
    C'mon...don't be so shy folks. Ask this OP what color their family is. There...relax...I did it for you.

You know it makes a difference. C'mon...you...know...it...makes...a...difference .
    It makes a difference but there is way more to it than that.

Stamy is offline Member

My wife and I have a 3 yr old and a 2 yr old. We bought our house on 22nd St, near Federal, in 2008 & we enjoy it. We haven't had any problems that made us feel unsafe living here. When the weather is nice, we spend a lot of time outside. From our experience, with children, living near 22 & Federal works out well for us because of the easy access to activities we do with our children. For instance, we regularly bring them to the library at 22nd & Federal, it's an easy walk to the parks at 22nd & Carpenter, and 22nd & Catherine. And when are kids are bored with those parks, we'll walk down to the park at 25th and pine. Every now and then we'll go to Chew bc it's less crowded. However, in the evenings, it doesn't feel as safe as the other parks.

For us, we didn't want to be anywhere near Broad st or pass Wharton...

I hope this is helpful.

I really appreciate hearing everyone's experiences. Stamy, hope to see you and your kids around the neighborhood! Thanks!

torts is offline Senior Member

Cops: Officer wounds shooting suspect in Center City after police chase

"two officers were on patrol near 27th and Tasker streets around 10:15 p.m. when they came upon a crowd and saw a man in the group open fire."

Any comment from the CCPB??? Theresa? AVI??

Giavella Water is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by torts View Post
    Cops: Officer wounds shooting suspect in Center City after police chase

"two officers were on patrol near 27th and Tasker streets around 10:15 p.m. when they came upon a crowd and saw a man in the group open fire."

Any comment from the CCPB??? Theresa? AVI??
    Nooooooooo. As long as it's not those damn white yuppies with their styrophome coffee cups that ruin everybody's quality of life.

torts is offline Senior Member

PB looking good on the tax delinquent list. Can I get a comment on that from the CCPB? Theresa? Tax deadbeats, crappy schools, murderers, pit bull carcasses, illiteracy. Look into that after you finish fighting OCF and the roof decks. I think there's something there, though I can't seem to put my finger on it.