Register
+ Reply to Thread
    64special is offline Junior Member

Default Squirrel Issue - Recommendations?

I am wondering if anyone else has had issues with squirrels getting in their house (walls) and had to hire someone to come in and get rid of the squirrel and secure their homes. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

bradley is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by 64special View Post
    I am wondering if anyone else has had issues with squirrels getting in their house (walls) and had to hire someone to come in and get rid of the squirrel and secure their homes. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
    Same here. I rent, so I'm not sure if this is my responsibility or not. We currently have at least once squirrel living in (or at least visiting) our front wall and top-floor ceiling. Our neighbors have a bowed, crumbling facade and it seems that the squirrels have access to our exposed eaves from the neighbors' side.

I'd also appreciate any suggestions.

Giavella Water is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bradley View Post
    Same here. I rent, so I'm not sure if this is my responsibility or not. We currently have at least once squirrel living in (or at least visiting) our front wall and top-floor ceiling. Our neighbors have a bowed, crumbling facade and it seems that the squirrels have access to our exposed eaves from the neighbors' side.

I'd send a registered letter to the property owner. You have a dangerous fire situation if that squirrel starts gnawing on your wires.

StrangeTanks is offline Senior Member

I could take care of em!

OldMama is offline Senior Member

I have this issue too and I'm the home owner. I'd really like some recs for a decent exterminator.

Elizabeth is offline Senior Member

Ok long story not so short, I had squirrels in my roof too that were driving me insane - I googled "Philadelphia Squirrel Removal" and called one of the first hits that came up Philadelphia Animal Control Pest Removal Squirrel Bat Raccoon late on a Friday. A nice woman answered and said they were open 24/7 (I was surprised someone actually answered). I told her I thought I had squirrels in my roof and she asked about the type of house, etc. I said it was a two story end rowhome. She said end rowhomes commonly have this problem. I also told her the size of my house.. NOT BIG, just a two story ~1000 SQ FT. She explained that someone could come out right away and block any holes except one and then put a trap on the last hole (if there's more than one in the first place). The trap will let the animals out but not back in. Then when they feel comfortable that all the animals are out they will take the trap and animals away and close up the last hole. It only costs....$575 !!!!!! Absurd.

So I found Riddex pest repellents that plug into an outlet on Amazon for $9 each and got two of those. The reviews are mixed, they don't work for everyone and every house but they've worked for me! I haven't heard the squirrels in weeks. Now I'm going to have my regular contractor and his regular hourly rate come over and patch up any holes around the edges of my roof. Here's a link to the Riddex things Amazon.com: Tri Sales Marketing HD00010 Riddex Plus Pest Control: Pet Supplies

Elizabeth is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bradley View Post

To the renter - It's definitely the owners responsibility and I would let them know right away since the squirrels can do significant damage to insulation, wiring, etc. If someone was renting my house, I would want to know right away! What they decide to do with the info is on them. You may also be liable if you don't let them know and more damage or residual damage (a fire) occurs, not sure.
    Last edited by Elizabeth; 01-18-2013 at 10:56 AM. Reason: typo

StrangeTanks is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    To the renter - It's definitely the owners responsibility and I would let them know right away since the squirrels can do significant damage to insulation, wiring, etc. If someone was renting my house, I would want to know right away! What they decide to do with the info is on them. You may also be liable if you don't let them know and more damage or residual damage (a fire) occurs, not sure.
    It depends actually. According to the Philadelphia Property Maintenance Code:

PM-303.4 Infestation: All structures shall be maintained free of infestation by insects, rodents, vermin or other
    pests.
    PM-303.5 Extermination: Where infestation is found, the structure shall be promptly exterminated by processes
    that will not be injurious to human health. After extermination, proper measures shall be taken to prevent
    reinfestation.
    PM-303.5.1 Single occupancy: The occupant of a structure containing a single dwelling unit or of a single
    nonresidential structure shall be responsible for extermination on the premises.
    PM-303.5.2 Multiple occupancy: The owner of a structure containing two or more dwelling units, a multiple
    occupancy, a rooming house or a nonresidential structure shall be responsible for extermination in the public or
    shared areas of the structure and exterior property. If infestation is caused by failure of an occupant to prevent
    such infestation in the area occupied, the occupants shall be responsible for extermination.

In other words, if you rent a single family home the tenant is responsible for hiring an exterminator.