Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    DaTruf is offline Senior Advisor

Default ATV & Dirt bike solutions

ATV's and Dirt bikes are bad for South Philly with narrow roads and a high polutation.

I wanted to come up with some solutions to help curb this problem since cops have the no chase policy.

1: PPA should take them if they see them parked anywhere.
    2: Gas stations should not be allowed to sell gas to them, if they do they will be fined and shutdown.
    3: Reporting who on the block owns one online to call them out and stop them.
    4: BAN the sale of ATV's and Dirt bikes in city limits
    5: $50 reward for information every dirt bike or ATV we take off the streets, the money will come from the scrap metal yard who would gladly crush it.
    6: PHA Police should evict the family who has one.
    7: Welfare should stop funds to those who own one, if they can afford a dirt bike for fun, they should have fun paying for their own bacon.
    8: A long rope.
    9: Kids know who has a dirt bike since only the "cool kids" have one... Kids are cheap informants. Philadelphia School district should have a reporting system and teach the dangers of riding.

Dirt bikes are often used to transport drugs in the city.

Dirt-bike tragedy an example of bigger problem - Philly.com

The mother is actually suing the city for killing her "good boy"

CHIOSSO is online now Schuylkill Ranger

Moyamensing became known for its penitentiary, violent hose company, cemeteries, wretchedly poor inhabitants, and crime. Harry C. Silcox

This would be illegal to do. But this is where they ride. Looks so FUN, but too bad they ride in the streets. Philadelphia should open this up and CASH in on this, they should also open up a Drag track right on the airport runway on the weekends.

Home Land and FAA should protect the airports borders better too!
    Last edited by DaTruf; 04-16-2012 at 02:18 PM.

O.H. Lee is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaTruf View Post

....Philadelphia should open this up and CASH in on this, they should also open up a Drag track right on the airport runway on the weekends.

.....!
    Don't drunken suburbanites already drive on the runways?
    "We do sincerely hope you all enjoy the show, and please remember people, that no matter who you are and what you do to live, thrive and survive, there are still some things that make us all the same. You, me, them, everybody, everybody!"

phillylawyer is offline Junior Member

Jermaine's mother endangered her son's welfare and the welfare of that kid that was on the bike with Jermaine before the accident. Put her on trial and let her explain why she encouraged her son to engage in a highly dangerous and illegal activity. Ask her whether she believed cops would chase her son and try to "bump" him off his motorcycle, and if so, ask her why she accepted the risk of serious injury by permitting him to continue riding, illegally, on public roads while police were attempting to force him into an accident.

Beach St is another location in the city where Pennsylvania State Police should enforce and take over like the expressways.

Look that the amount of tires short dumped right next to the "ATV drag & off-road track" and river.

BarryG is offline Senior Member

Looks like PPD is making an effort to do something about ATVs and dirt bikes:

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphia Police Department
    If you see a dirt bike or ATV on the street please call 911. Be prepared to provide a description of the vehicle and its operator... Another way to help is by letting us know who has these vehicles and where they are being stored...
    Link: Call to Action: Help Us Get Illegal ATVs and DIrt Bikes Off the Streets | PhillyPolice Blog

19147 is offline Senior Member

BS. I call on a daily basis. One of my neighbors has one and there are often four that race to and from his house every 10 minutes. Up and down the sidewalks doing wheelies. Almost hit an elderly neighbor and a woman who had to jump up on the step to avoid being hit. I call every time they pass my house and give the address where they will return every couple of minutes and be stored. Sometimes 15-20 calls per day from me alone. We don't even see a police car drive by. I called the precinct and was hung up on.

There was an arrest last weekend for a car break in. A cop was parked in the street writing it up. The kid revved his bike on the sidewalk for a minute or so, then rode past the cop, taunting him. They know they can't be chased and the cop wasn't interested in getting him while he was warming it up.

BarryG is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 19147 View Post
    BS. I call on a daily basis. One of my neighbors has one and there are often four that race to and from his house every 10 minutes. Up and down the sidewalks doing wheelies. Almost hit an elderly neighbor and a woman who had to jump up on the step to avoid being hit. I call every time they pass my house and give the address where they will return every couple of minutes and be stored. Sometimes 15-20 calls per day from me alone. We don't even see a police car drive by. I called the precinct and was hung up on.

There was an arrest last weekend for a car break in. A cop was parked in the street writing it up. The kid revved his bike on the sidewalk for a minute or so, then rode past the cop, taunting him. They know they can't be chased and the cop wasn't interested in getting him while he was warming it up.
    Is it possible there was a change in policy?

Quote Originally Posted by BarryG View Post
    Is it possible there was a change in policy?
    Yep.

But, I don't think it was ever against policy for them to confiscate these bikes once they ride into this back yard that has only one way out. If they spent 30 minutes on Saturday, they could have had 4 of them, two bikes and two quads. And these are from know drug dealers. The officer was very aware of who they are.
    Last edited by 19147; 05-22-2012 at 08:51 AM.

theREALalesis is offline Banned

Wasn't there a big crack down on Pep Boys and other merchants in the city who sold these things a few years back?
    Last edited by theREALalesis; 05-22-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Gladys is online now Senior Member

this story is news worthy and a hot topic... again i say call 6abc
    "If you're going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh; otherwise they'll kill you."
    - attributed to both George Bernard Shaw & Oscar Wilde

"I never clean up after my dogs, because I have trained them to run with me off leash while I ride my bike the wrong way on the sidewalk."
    - LUCas
    Originally Posted by Dave L We need to focus on banning both singers who crap on the sidewalk and dogs that annoy people with their singing. - Mondo

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    I'm prepared to get video next time. You can't imagine how frustrating it is. I've recently heard that one of the bikes damaged another neighbor's car later in the day on Saturday. I'm guessing the a-hole doesn't have insurance and/or money to fix it. I'm considering a 2x4 to the head next time it rides by or some fishing line tied across the sidewalk.

This happened this week in PB:

Phila. Police officer injured chasing suspect | 6abc.com

Just this weekend during the Wheat beerfest an ATV and Dirtbike hopped the sidewalk and almost killed a bunch of drunks. Everyone had to get out of the way and hide their purses.

Gladys is online now Senior Member

I'm prepared to get video next time. You can't imagine how frustrating it is. I've recently heard that one of the bikes damaged another neighbor's car later in the day on Saturday. I'm guessing the a-hole doesn't have insurance and/or money to fix it. I'm considering a 2x4 to the head next time it rides by or some fishing line tied across the sidewalk.
    that's worth the price of a camera, just be safe and don't let them see you do it.

i hear them on the street behind me often, and have actually seen one with an adult riding the wrong side on christian turning onto the wrong way on 22nd.
    "If you're going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh; otherwise they'll kill you."
    - attributed to both George Bernard Shaw & Oscar Wilde

"I never clean up after my dogs, because I have trained them to run with me off leash while I ride my bike the wrong way on the sidewalk."
    - LUCas
    Originally Posted by Dave L We need to focus on banning both singers who crap on the sidewalk and dogs that annoy people with their singing. - Mondo

Default rat them out

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    or Fox-29 or NBC10 Investigators for that matter.

Are the "them" you refer to black individuals?

PortPennFerry is offline Senior Member

If the majority of ATVs are stolen, have the cops ever tried setting up 'bait ATV?' Leave an ATV out unattended that has been modified to go no more than 30 mph... something the rider would not know till he is a few blocks out.

Call me a horrible person, but I got the idea from the incident with the two teens in Logan baited by ATVs and then shot dead. What if instead of being shot dead, they got community service from the state and became valuable contributors to society?

PBSusan is offline Senior Member

These things go up and down Federal Street, within feet of the 17th. I'm not talking one drive by, I'm talking up and down, loud as h*ll, doing wheelies, driving on the street and the sidewalk. They are also predictably on Washington Ave and 19th Street regularly, completely disregarding people and traffic signals. I don't wander around the 'hood for fun much, just walking to and from work, and I see them regularly. I've never seen the police so much as blink. I've called 911. Historially, that's been a total waste of time. I HOPE they are going to do more, but every ounce of my being doubts it.

annie is offline Senior Member

Call to Action: Help Us Get Illegal ATVs and DIrt Bikes Off the Streets | PhillyPolice Blog

Another way to help is by letting us know who has these vehicles and where they are being stored. The Police Department provides several ways for citizens to submit tips. Tips can be sent via text message to short code PPDTIP, emailed to tips@PhillyPolice.com, or phoned in to 215-686-TIPS(8477). Please provide any information you have available such as the exact location where the vehicle is being stored, the owners of the vehicle, or if the vehicle is stolen.