Register
+ Reply to Thread
    BarryG is offline Senior Member

Default New Cafe at 11th & Snyder: Tea Shake Fusion

Just opened yesterday, northwest corner (old herbal remedy place). Bright, clean, big colorful signs. Speciality seems to be bubble tea and smoothies but they also have coffee and a small eclectic food menu--hoagies, chicken sandwiches, banh mi, pot stickers, fried calamari. I stopped in and spoke with the owner for a minute, seemed nice and welcoming. I didn't buy anything.

Looks like it could be a quality addition to Snyder Ave, and we need one.

Stopped in this morning again. Apparently they only have temporary permits because one neighbor objects to the business. The zoning variance was for take-out, so the neighbor was afraid a ghetto Chinese takeout was moving in. Now that the cafe is open, it's obvious that it's not a ghetto business and should be positive for Snyder Ave. They have a petition in the store to support their permanent permits so go check it out and sign the petition!

phillyplanner is offline Junior Member

Actually, it's not just a neighbor, the civic association opposed the variance (EPX) and there were at least, two hearings regarding the business. I beleive the civic association does not object to the business itself (selling coffee and tea) but rather the application to the variance ( and I believe it's the ability to serve fried foods). Once there is a variance, it stays with the building regardless of the owners intentions or not. If this owner sells the business with a C2 designation and the ability to serve and sell fried foods, the next owner can make it into whatever they please; including the dreaded "Chinese Takeout". And the neighborhood will have no legal recourse to stop it.

Again: Coffee and Tea is bueno ! Coffee and Tea with a fryer is a different ballgame with respect to zoning and building codes. Please ask the owner to withdraw the application for a variance.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyplanner View Post
    Actually, it's not just a neighbor, the civic association opposed the variance (EPX) and there were at least, two hearings regarding the business. I beleive the civic association does not object to the business itself (selling coffee and tea) but rather the application to the variance ( and I believe it's the ability to serve fried foods). Once there is a variance, it stays with the building regardless of the owners intentions or not. If this owner sells the business with a C2 designation and the ability to serve and sell fried foods, the next owner can make it into whatever they please; including the dreaded "Chinese Takeout". And the neighborhood will have no legal recourse to stop it.

Again: Coffee and Tea is bueno ! Coffee and Tea with a fryer is a different ballgame with respect to zoning and building codes. Please ask the owner to withdraw the application for a variance.
    Are you sure different variances are required to serve just coffee/tea and fried foods? Boba needs to be heated too.
    Last edited by BarryG; 11-10-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Syrinx2112 is offline Member

Sounds like the place might not last due to the zoning issues.

philly704 is offline Senior Member

When is this place open? I went by in the morning and tonight at 5:30pm and it was closed.

Quote Originally Posted by philly704 View Post
    When is this place open? I went by in the morning and tonight at 5:30pm and it was closed.
    It was open at 8:30 this morning, I stopped in. Last night I stopped by around 8:30 and they were open.

Is this cafe in the old t-shirt store?

No, the old "herbal remedy" place with the green sign. NW corner.

hubba1 is offline THIS is a Newbold...

Block before the old Mr Tees.... which has it's own issues... I was talking to the woman who runs Mr tees (now on 15th and Passyunk) and she said multiple people have tried to lease or rent the place for various things, day care, a boutique... all had the money to pay for the place, and fix it up as needed... the owner is asian and turned them all down because he wants an asian person, running an asian business (aka take out or corner store), so that place may be empty for a while!
    ------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by hubba1 View Post
    Block before the old Mr Tees.... which has it's own issues... I was talking to the woman who runs Mr tees (now on 15th and Passyunk) and she said multiple people have tried to lease or rent the place for various things, day care, a boutique... all had the money to pay for the place, and fix it up as needed... the owner is asian and turned them all down because he wants an asian person, running an asian business (aka take out or corner store), so that place may be empty for a while!
    Are you kidding? I would love a boutique or something else besides a crappy food take-out store. UGH!

rosserx is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by BarryG View Post
    No, the old "herbal remedy" place with the green sign. NW corner.
    They did acupuncture in there.
    In the Halls of Justice the only justice is in the halls.
    - Lenny Bruce