Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marvel is offline Member

Red face How to stop Feral Cats Peeing in my yard. Can't stand the smell.

Feral cats love to pee in my yard - in the little side alley between my house and my neighbor. How can I deter them from peeing there, and how can I get rid of the existing smell. It comes in through the windows & AC and and gags us. Any tips would be appreciated -- PS We don't want to buy electronic gadgets or poison the cats...

phillysleuth is offline Senior Member

There are groups in Philly that will trap, neuter, and release ferals. How many are you dealing with? It's probably the males that are stinking up your yard. Let me see if I can find one that might help or offer suggestions on how to handle the smell. Thank you for not poisoning the cats; it's not their fault that irresponsible owners dumped them or their parents when they got tired of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel View Post
    Feral cats love to pee in my yard - in the little side alley between my house and my neighbor. How can I deter them from peeing there, and how can I get rid of the existing smell. It comes in through the windows & AC and and gags us. Any tips would be appreciated -- PS We don't want to buy electronic gadgets or poison the cats...

walnuthill is offline Senior Member

Neutering the males is the absolute best way to get rid of the smell--they won't spray if they don't have raging hormones. Plus, you'll be doing the cats and your neighbors a favor by cutting down on unwanted litters of kittens. Alleycat.org has the best resources on the web about TNR (trap, neuter, release). There are local groups that can provide support (loan you traps, show you how to use them, maybe provide transportation and/or recovery space following surgery) but they generally aren't going to do the work for you, since they're volunteers.

If they're peeing into potted plants or your garden, a temporary solution would be to get little wooden pointed stakes and place them in the spots they're using the most. It's not perfect but may encourage them to go elsewhere, without causing them any harm.

And before anyone suggests poison or taking them all to the PSPCA to be euthanized...the cats have a food source, whether it's mice, someone feeding them, etc. As long as that food source is there, more cats will move in and claim the territory if the current group leaves.

Jennrageous is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by walnuthill View Post
    Neutering the males is the absolute best way to get rid of the smell--they won't spray if they don't have raging hormones. Plus, you'll be doing the cats and your neighbors a favor by cutting down on unwanted litters of kittens. Alleycat.org has the best resources on the web about TNR (trap, neuter, release). There are local groups that can provide support (loan you traps, show you how to use them, maybe provide transportation and/or recovery space following surgery) but they generally aren't going to do the work for you, since they're volunteers.

If they're peeing into potted plants or your garden, a temporary solution would be to get little wooden pointed stakes and place them in the spots they're using the most. It's not perfect but may encourage them to go elsewhere, without causing them any harm.

And before anyone suggests poison or taking them all to the PSPCA to be euthanized...the cats have a food source, whether it's mice, someone feeding them, etc. As long as that food source is there, more cats will move in and claim the territory if the current group leaves.
    Well said.
    ~Jenn

Marvel is offline Member

Neighbors and local groups have been doing TNR on our alley for a few years now - the cats walk along the stone wall between houses and pee in a corner of our backyard (cement) under our window - probably one decided to do it and the others have just kept doing it. I have no problems with the cats - there are a few that come peek in our windows regularly - casting huge cat-head shadows on the wall. I'm really just looking for a recommendation of something to sprinkle, spray, or scatter that is not poisonous but deters them from peeing.
    I've read that cayenne pepper or red chili flakes do the trick - I haven't tried that yet. I don't want to scatter broken glass or anything that would cut or hurt them. But now that I think about it, maybe a large piece of chicken wire on the ground bent up slightly domed would make the area uninviting... any thoughts? (I've never had cats but I imagine they wouldn't want to walk on chicken wire.)

Reader is offline Senior Member
    SWCC otherwise known as Graduate Hospital

We're having the same problem and have tried pepper flakes and paprika. Neither seemed to do much.

A neighbor said to try used coffee grounds. We're trying that now, and it seems to help slightly more than the red pepper did. Not sure if there's any science at all behind this, but I also didn't want to use poison, and I make lots of coffee. Coincidence or not, the cats haven't pooped in the planter box since we started putting the grounds in.

Whatever you sprinkle, etc., you will have to do over frequently. Good luck and let me know if you find something else that works!

Marvel is offline Member

I just shop-vac'd up all the leaves in the alley under the window (and discovered the cats have been doing a bit more than just peeing) - then doused the whole area with hot water and bleach. Hope that will get the smell out. I'll try coffee grounds... thanks.

phillysleuth is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel View Post
    I just shop-vac'd up all the leaves in the alley under the window (and discovered the cats have been doing a bit more than just peeing) - then doused the whole area with hot water and bleach. Hope that will get the smell out. I'll try coffee grounds... thanks.
    You might need to try one of the enzyme cleaners sold in pet stores. I'm not sure bleach will do the trick, but let us know if it does! I've also heard a solution of vinegar and water works well to gt rid of the smell, at least inside.

longtimephilly is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    We're having the same problem and have tried pepper flakes and paprika. Neither seemed to do much.
    I had to do the paprika thing before. You really have to use a lot of it.

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but that just discourages them by making them sneeze right?

steco is offline Member

Saw this on the TV one night. It's basically a motion activated air horn for training cats. No one gets hurt, just scares the hell out of them. Can't imagine it takes to long to be effective.
    Amazon.com: Innotek SSSCAT Cat Training Aid: Kitchen & Dining

It'sJessMe is offline Senior Member

I don't know if it will work for cats but I got rid of the squirrels in my backyard instantly by sprinkling fox urine pellets around the area; it plays on the animals' fear of foxes. It's completely safe, and while it smells for about 10 minutes after you sprinkle it, the smell dissipates (to human noses at least - it must remain for animals). Reapply after rain and up to 2x/wk at the beginning. It was really miraculous how fast it worked. Squirrels were rampant in my backyard because we've had renters next door for 4 years (a constantly rotating group but usually 3-4 frat guys) and they don't really tie up their garbage. I found chicken bones and lots of other food in my yard, and even crossing the backyard to my garage was disconcerting because of the darting squirrels. They had chewed through my garbage can too. One sprinkle of this stuff and they were gone; it's been over a month now (I've reapplied it a couple of times).

Amazon.com: Shake Away 8004520 20 ounces Small Critter Repellent Fox Urine Granules: Patio, Lawn & Garden

S.PhillyNative is offline Senior Member

"Havahart's Cat Repellent" uses capsaicin pepper and oil of mustard as its
    active ingredients. It repels by both taste and odor, has a lemon scent, lasts 7-10 days and needs to be reapplied after rain or new growth. 32 oz. bottle sells for about $12.99.

Mahdoumi is offline Senior Member

This. It's the male cats spraying (marking their territory) that you smell. Not cat urine. There are not too many smells worse.
    Don't let me go all Weeblo village on your A** , angry little girl . ~ Jedi Mind Fart

Hey all of you ...WAAAHHH , Hey OP , double WAAAH ~ Ibid.

I'm beginning to think you only post on weekdays, not because of your cubicle job, but because you only have access to a computer while in summer school.
    ~ loveisnoise

loveisnoise is offline Senior Member

When my cats act up I usually show them a chinese food container and say, "You could end up in here if you don't behave". They're usually good for about 2 weeks. Maybe it will work on ferals.

catperson87 is offline Member

Just a quick FYI, coffee grounds are toxic to cats if they ingest enough so you might not want to use that. I know they don't like walking on aluminum foil so if you don't mind having a foiled alleyway, that could work to keep them out.

Also, bleach won't work to get the urine smell out. In some cases it can make it worse. Enzyme removers and white vinegar are much more effective.

3rd&Brown is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by loveisnoise
    When my cats act up I usually show them a chinese food container and say, "You could end up in here if you don't behave". They're usually good for about 2 weeks. Maybe it will work on ferals.
    This. I used to call my cat MooGooGaiPan when he was acting up.

And for added emphasis, I would have my good Catonese friend squeeze his thigh and say, "tender".

It usually did the trick.

loveisnoise is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
    And for added emphasis, I would have my good Catonese friend squeeze his thigh and say, "tender".

It usually did the trick.
    Ummmm....AWESOME! I just got home and did this to one of my demons. They ran away like a bat outta hell!

Sean is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by S.PhillyNative View Post
    "Havahart's Cat Repellent" uses capsaicin pepper and oil of mustard as its
    active ingredients. It repels by both taste and odor, has a lemon scent, lasts 7-10 days and needs to be reapplied after rain or new growth. 32 oz. bottle sells for about $12.99.
    I swear by Natures Miracle. It will remove the smell which is the first step to stopping all the males from marking their territory.

JBL
    JBL is offline Senior Member

Get a mat like those traction mats used in restaurant kitchens. The holes in the mat should make it hard and uncomfortable for the cats to walk on. The bigger and more awkward for them, the better. Mulch supposedly works based on the same principle of being uncomfortable under their paws.

Kitchen Mats | Kitchen Anti Fatigue Mats | Kitchen Floor Mats

I still crack up at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbkLjjlMV8

NE19124 is offline Banned

I don't know. I have had male cates neutered and they still spray.

Quote Originally Posted by walnuthill View Post