Register
+ Reply to Thread
    hubba1 is offline THIS is a Newbold...

Default Post office closings... looks like one in South Philly possible...

So I saw the list of Possible P.O closings, and the only one I think is in South Philly is the one on Broad and Castle (right near Broad and Morris). Which sucks, since that is the one closest to me by far! Even though I have to go to that dump on 25th street to pick up packages, at least this one was one of the store locations-and in walking distance.

TonyDanza is offline Senior Member

Southwark (10th and Dickinson) should be at the top of that list - guarantee they could close that location and not miss a beat.

tsarstruck is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDanza View Post
    Southwark (10th and Dickinson) should be at the top of that list - guarantee they could close that location and not miss a beat.
    Although Southwark is the worst, they can't close it because it serves too much of the area. The Castle Post Office is the obvious choice to close since it's small, doesn't service package pickup or serve as a sorting facility, and has other post offices close to it.

Sean is online now Senior Member

Not in South Philly but interesting, I heard they are closing the Ben Franklin Office in Old City.

Random fact, it's the only post office in America to not fly an American flag.

Pitboss is offline Banned

I caught something on the news last night that they seek to close the one where Ben Franklin was the postmaster, don't
    know the location though.

edit ~ sorry just saw the above ~ Old City, duh. Anyone have a of it pic to post?

Wifi is offline Senior Member

They should cancel Saturday delivery. Problem solved.

Don't care much for bills on the weekends anyways. Newbold loses the only post office and PB's Wilson Projects still keeps theirs. Last time I was at that dump I was approached by someone looking for SEPTA fare as they eyed up my trunk as I was loading.

That post office on 25th street is outright dangerous and ghetto at night or in the winter when it gets dark at 4pm... And the people who work their are MEAN, unlike the small local PO's.

lbphilly is offline Occupant

Quote Originally Posted by tsarstruck View Post
    Although Southwark is the worst, they can't close it because it serves too much of the area. The Castle Post Office is the obvious choice to close since it's small, doesn't service package pickup or serve as a sorting facility, and has other post offices close to it.
    The Castle facility was the consolation prize we got in 19146 when they moved the big facility to 2900 Grays Ferry Avenue, which might as well be the end of the galaxy for those of us without cars. Oh, and that's on the list to be closed as well. Post Office hates South Philly.
    Laura Blanchard
    lb_philly@yahoo.com

[The "ignore" feature from your control panel is a great way to improve the civility of discourse on this bulletin board]

Mr Morley is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wifi View Post
    That's one soultion (or part of it). The other thing they need/want to do is end Rural Delivery, which only dates back to the 1950s, and which is a huge drain on their limited resources, as it requires them to deliver to every address in the US.

Both changes require an act of Congress, and they've been dragging their feet.

hubba1 is offline THIS is a Newbold...

Southwark is a half block from where i grew up, and I don't think I remember EVER going in there and it not being crowded, or the people behind the glass not being miserable- the place itself is just miserable looking! But, like tearstruck wrote, they serve a large area, and not a post office very close to it.

ssreilly is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Wifi View Post

Don't care much for bills on the weekends anyways. Newbold loses the only post office and PB's Wilson Projects still keeps theirs. Last time I was at that dump I was approached by someone looking for SEPTA fare as they eyed up my trunk as I was loading.

That post office on 25th street is outright dangerous and ghetto at night or in the winter when it gets dark at 4pm... And the people who work their are MEAN, unlike the small local PO's.

I agree! the last thing i'm looking for on a saturday is mail and bills....that = work and work = monday-friday!

SouthPhillyLady is offline Senior Member

I DEFINATELY CO-SIGN WITH THIS!!!. That post office is just aweful.

BarryG is offline Senior Member

They can't close Southwark, that's the main PO for 19147 and 19148 and where all the packages go/come from. What they could do is close the ones on the list and replace the entire management and staff of Southwark.

AngelB is offline Senior Member

Happy the one at Front & Snyder is being saved. It is my secret favorite because the workers are really nice even though most of the clientele is crazy.

magpie is offline Member

I have no problem with no mail being delivered on Saturday. They don't deliver in Canada on Saturdays and you never felt like you missed out on anything. Like you said who wants bills on Saturday anyhow...