Register
+ Reply to Thread
    Newboldrehabguy is offline Senior Member

Default Where is the closest animal shelter to take captured stray cats?

I am rehabbing a property and there are 15-20 stray cats that use the back yard as their litter box. I was told that if I trap them I can take them to a shelter. I've never even been to an animal shelter so can someone tell me where the closest one is to Newbold? I hate to do it but you can't even open the windows or go out back at this property.

ma789 is offline Junior Member

I can understand how frustrating that must be. Can you tell us what street your lot is located on? We take care of an outdoor cat and don't want him taken to a shelter if he is one of the suspects. Thanks.

Newboldrehabguy is offline Senior Member

Sure, 17th and Mifflin. Hopefully your "outdoor cat" is out of harms way.

JMM
    JMM is offline Member

There's Morris Animal Refuge at 13th or so and Lombard. PAWS which is at 29th and Grays Ferry. I guess you would need to call ahead and let them know you are coming with a bunch of cats. I don't know how the process works because I've never done it, either.

I am the crazy cat lady who takes cats off the streets and into my house and I applaud your actions in taking these cats to the shelter even though they are likely to be put to sleep a second after you get there.

With so many in that concentrated area, I'd bet there is a lot of fighting and with that comes the spread of FIV. Also, female cats are far more likely to develop cancer in their girl parts if they have even ONE pregnancy. So in a small way, you are helping to reduce misery by removing these cats from the street.

ColeenH is offline Senior Member

Are they stray or feral?

Braveheart is offline Mismember

Quote Originally Posted by ColeenH View Post
    Are they stray or feral?
    It's most likely a combination of both, and abandoned as well. It's a sad situation and kudos to the OP for trying
    to do the right thing. Posting on Craigs Pets would elicit more help and good luck.

ColeenH is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Braveheart View Post
    It's most likely a combination of both, and abandoned as well. It's a sad situation and kudos to the OP for trying
    to do the right thing. Posting on Craigs Pets would elicit more help and good luck.
    I would try to contact Philadelphia Community Cats Council or City Kitties. The cats will only get euthanized at the shelter, especially the feral ones. Maybe one of the two groups I mentioned can help get them relocated to a managed colony.

Elizabeth is offline Senior Member

i agree with Braveheart - post on Craigslist asking for advice and help, the animal lovers of the area troll that site 24/7 - link below

philadelphia pets classifieds - craigslist

PhillyNewB is offline Junior Member

Default help with stray cats

hi. i work with a local organization, Prancing Paws, to help with the battle against cats on the streets. i have a group of people that could help try to get this situation under control. if you are interested, let me know and i can get you in touch with someone that can help. it is a complicated process depending on numerous factors; are the cats friendly or ferrell (wild), is there someone that is feeding them/taking care of them with even minimal things like shelter and food? looking forward to hearing from you

loveisnoise is offline Senior Member

Call Number One China.

Morgan<3sDane is offline Spells TROUBLE

Quote Originally Posted by loveisnoise View Post
    Call Number One China.
    Terrible! But hilarious. Terribly hilarious.

The PSPCA will put the cats down. Not sure if PAWS or Morris will take feral kitties. This is a rough situation.
    UNITY as one stand together

Litter Box is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by loveisnoise View Post
    Call Number One China.
    You bad man, stop telling people to call !

But all in all, it's been a fabulous year for Laura and me.
    12/21/2001 White House release: President Highlights