Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    eldondre is online now Moderator

Default south philly wal mart to be renovated/expanded

long overdue IMO. this place must have been overburdened the day it opened.
    Walmart in South Phila. to be renovated | Philadelphia Business Journal
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

PGH Lessons is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by eldondre View Post
    That place should just be shut-down. Worst place on earth. I think shoppers pick up items they like, if they choose not to buy them, they just throw them on the ground. Add that to all the people just "hanging out" in the parking lots, the stray cats, and trash it adds to the Delaware river, it's time to close-up shop.

mixiboi is offline Philly Remixed

lol, Well $$$ and jobs says otherwise that it needs to stay.

This, BTW is apart of Wal-Mart Project Impact:

Walmart loves to shock and awe. City-size stores, absurdly low prices ($8 jeans!) and everything from milk to Matchbox toys on its shelves. And with the recession forcing legions of stores into bankruptcy, the world's largest retailer now apparently wants to take out the remaining survivors.

Thus, the company is in the beginning stages of a massive store and strategy remodeling effort, which it has dubbed Project Impact. One goal of Project Impact is cleaner, less cluttered stores that will improve the shopping experience. Another is friendlier customer service. A third: home in on categories where the competition can be killed. "They've got Kmart ready to take a standing eight-count next year," says retail consultant Burt Flickinger III, managing director for Strategic Resources Group and a veteran Walmart watcher. "Same with Rite Aid. They've knocked out four of the top five toy retailers, and are now going after the last one standing, Toys "R" Us. Project Impact will be the catalyst to wipe out a second round of national and regional retailers."
    Walmart's Project Impact: A Move to Crush Competition - TIME

Hopefully this means that they will have another option for cheap food in South Philly, along with Target expanding their food markets, Supermarkets have some stiff competition...

Marilyn is offline New Wave Diva

I tend to shop there a couple times a month because I'm poor. It's an entertaining experience every time.
    Good Eatin' in Philadelphia
    http://phillygrub.wordpress.com

luchobucho is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mixiboi View Post
    lol, Well $$$ and jobs says otherwise that it needs to stay.

This, BTW is apart of Wal-Mart Project Impact:

Walmart's Project Impact: A Move to Crush Competition - TIME

Hopefully this means that they will have another option for cheap food in South Philly, along with Target expanding their food markets, Supermarkets have some stiff competition...
    Sweet Jeebus. That just sounds frightening. But hey, healthy competition.

I wonder if Walmart will ever offer health services other than eye glasses. Do they do dentistry?

Anyone ever see soylent green? I imagine a future like that, except we'll all be eating Walmart "Blue, Red and White".

radiocolin is offline Senior Member

You can't polish a turd.

Jayfar is offline Junior Old Fart

One minor 3 orders of magnitude correction to the PBJ article:

In the most recent fiscal year, it had worldwide sales of $405 million
    Correct figure for the 2009 fiscal year is:

"Net sales for the fiscal year were $401.244 billion, an increase of 7.2 percent over fiscal year 2008."

http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...ease021709.pdf
    “Guys like you I would dispatch with my roofing axe.” -- BootsywannabeACretin

phillyaggie is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by eldondre View Post
    had an opportunity to shop there two weekends ago.

Unlike stores in Texas, this one seemed to be filled with workers who knew exactly where particular things were and directed you or even walked over to point out choices. That was quite refreshing to see in a Walmart.

Other than that though, that store is quite a dump. They must run out of a lot of stock because the two trips I made there while I had the rental car, both times they had pellets out and restocking going on but certain items were simply out of stock. Never seen that in other Walmarts. I suppose they cater to a large population here, compared to other locations where multiple Walmarts serve a city.

And yes, the place looks dumpy, old, and illmaintained. It also feels smaller than other locations I'm used to (in Texas). Consequently, they don't seem to carry as many SKUs and that's a bummer. So an expansion can only help in that regard.

The parking lot outside is one of the most trash-filled I have ever seen anywhere. Quite a sight to behold.

All in all, good to see that it's going to get a much-needed facelift.
    "The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door. That's the only difference."
    - Ralph Nader

eldondre is online now Moderator

its the most overcrowded walmart ive been to. given they keep getting blocked from new stores a supercenter seems long overdue.
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

Charlotte the Cat is offline Senior Member

I guess with KMart closing this winter and the deplorable condition of Target, I will be using the internet for more and more shopping. I have never stepped foot in a WalMart.

IMO ever since Target started selling food, everything else went downhill in that store.

OldMama is offline Senior Member

I'm so glad others feel this way about the S. Philly store. Ordinarily I don't patronize Walmart but the two times I have, I went to this store. It was dirty and haphazard. Ugh.

Actually, that whole center has the dirtiest parking lot I've ever seen. I go to the AC Moore frequently and I'm always sickened by the trash blowing around the lot. Plus there are some of the saddest, dirtiest homeless folk who hang there. It's a depressing place.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte the Cat View Post

IMO ever since Target started selling food, everything else went downhill in that store.
    That is what happens when you become a one stop place for many people. It still in its experimental phase, but profits are up and that is what Target's shareholders care more about when they are facing Wal-Mart and a recession..

BarryG is offline Senior Member

I used to go to Walmart for some things that were cheaper than Target, but the crowds, layout, disorganization of the store, and most of all the long lines added so much time (not to mention stress) to the shopping experience that it's not worth it. Breezing through checkout at Target is worth a lot.

MizFormaldehyde is offline Senior Member

I haven't shopped there once I found out the truth of their employee treatment and rustbelt effect in the south & midwest.
    Wake-Up Wal-Mart: The Real Wal-Mart Facts

I did go with a friend so he could cash his paycheck,though. It was disgusting how dirty the floors were. It was a week or so before Christmas. They could of alteast made it nice for holiday shoppers. It also looked really messy and just discombobulated. Target, FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by MizFormaldehyde View Post
    I did go with a friend so he could cash his paycheck,though. It was disgusting how dirty the floors were. It was a week or so before Christmas. They could of alteast made it nice for holiday shoppers. It also looked really messy and just discombobulated. Target, FTW.
    Wait, you wanted them to clean the store a week before christmas? When the three weeks before had about 500-1000 people come though a day those three weeks destroying the store for all the deals and other gifts?

That is hard for any store to do, specially with another thousand coming through that week.

Newbolder is offline Senior Member

This Walmart makes any other Walmart in the country look bad. I think it has to do with the customers and workers here in South Philly. It's a battle with no one really caring about how the end result looks.

We goto target just because they seem to have a better inventory of items we use. When first moving here we thought it was the water people drink that makes them seem to lack IQ. Basically the Walmart in South philly is GHETTTO.

queenbee is offline Senior Member

Charlotte,
    Thank you for pinpointing this! That Target jumped the shark for me too and now that you mention it, I stopped going when they rearranged the store and added the food aisles. I go to the Cherry Hill store instead.
    Last edited by queenbee; 10-22-2010 at 04:20 PM.

phoenix is offline meh.

Quote Originally Posted by PGH Lessons View Post
    That place should just be shut-down. Worst place on earth. I think shoppers pick up items they like, if they choose not to buy them, they just throw them on the ground. Add that to all the people just "hanging out" in the parking lots, the stray cats, and trash it adds to the Delaware river, it's time to close-up shop.
    true. That wal-mart looks like a bomb went off in it. My heart goes out to the people who work there..

queenbee is offline Senior Member

lucy van pelt is offline Senior Member

I went into this place twice now in about five years and after the first time, I vowed I would never go back. Then a few weeks ago I needed something I could just not find anywhere else so I sucked it up and went in and walked almost right back out. I couldn't handle even looking at the huge lines at all of the registers and it just looked crowded, disorganized and dirty. It was truly a level in hell that even Dante could not have imagined. Even if it did go downhill, I'll take the Target anyday.