Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    philly704 is offline Senior Member

Unhappy Sick of Dog Sh*t? What can we do about it?

What can we do about dog poop in our neighborhood? This morning I watched a man let his two dogs defecate on the corner of 9th & Daly street. I confronted him and of course he did nothing. This is a common occurrence in my neighborhood and I want to put a stop to it. I know we have other threads regarding this same issue but I wanted to start a new one. Especially because I know others are just as frustrated with this and we can all brainstorm.

Here is one idea I have. Not sure how realistic it is but willing to try just about anything.

* See if the city would work with civic minded individuals and allow them to give tickets out for littering and dog poop.

Any more ideas?

Sean is online now Senior Member

I also agree this is a problem. I have a tree in front of my house and it is a magnet for dog poo. Yuck!

Seanibus is offline Senior Member

Uh, oh. Here we go.

We haven't had a good Dog Poop thread in quite some time.
    Owl looked at Rabbit and wondered whether to push him off the tree, but feeling that he could always do it afterward, he tried once more to find out what they were talking about.

PGH Lessons is offline Senior Member

You could do something like this:
    http://www.philadelphiaspeaks.com/fo...er-shamed.html

I've often considered setting up a camera myself and pulling off the same sting operation. Reminds me of the british lady who got caught throwing the cat into the trash can.

If you do set this up and catch someone, I'll buy you a beer

megs is offline Member

If only it were possible to ban morons from animal ownership. If said person has that little respect for his neighborhood by not cleaning up after his dogs, I'd hate to see how he runs his household! Also, I hope said person doesn't have children....shudder to think....

Sycamore is offline Sure Shot

Where's Harvey Milk when you need him.

jedi mind fart is offline Capt. funktastic

Quote Originally Posted by Sycamore View Post
    Where's Harvey Milk when you need him.
    Um he's busy being dead , I understand it was a horrific dog sh*t accident in Fairmount , little known bit of trivia .
    "Cripple Tax"? Mayfair Meat., for the second time, I must tell you,
    SHUT UP!
    You are an absolute PIG.

So now I am standing on the corner of 4th and Shunk wit a bag of dicks.

Dog haters and cat collectors.

Welcome to DOG POOP THREAD #1,549,125 , Mayfair Meat

I wish I hardly saw hipsters anymore . OldMaestro

phillyaggie is offline Senior Member

start a company to take advantage of the situation. Poll the community about whether they would pay a small subscription for someone to clean up dog poop on a regular basis. Depending on the market research results, you can buy a dog poop vacuum (or just a small sh(t shovel) and go to work. You make money. Community stops bitching. Dog owners don't worry about picking after their pets. Everyone is happy. Problem solved.

I only joke, of course. I doubt anyone would be willing to pay for what's supposed to be not a problem if people would just be more civic-minded.
    "The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door. That's the only difference."
    - Ralph Nader

Newbolder is offline Senior Member

leave a bowl of anti freeze out for them to drink. Dog owners will get the message.

forkiks is offline Senior Member

sorry but i think you types are the sick ones...you would poison a dog to get a point across? The point being that you don't like poop around? This whining behavior is no more than 10 yrs old...why weren't people bothered by stuff like this before? Maybe it is time to either become the pooper scooper in your neighborhood or find another thing to dwell upon. I too do not like to see dog poop around but i wouldn't even think to poison an animal because of it. What a bunch of sickos.

Dane is offline Can't cook

A woman thanked me for picking up my own dogs poop in front of her house. I see what she was going for but no thanks is necessary, if you have a dog you pick up the poop.

This whole thing is really simple. Some people are @ssh0les. There is nothing you can do. They aren't going to magically stop being @ssh0les and pick up their poop. If you provoke an @ssh0le, it only turns into a bigger @ssh0le. I wish I had a better idea about how to get @ssh0les to pick up their dogs poop, but they are @ssh0les.

Oladybug is offline Philaphile

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    This whole thing is really simple. Some people are @ssh0les. There is nothing you can do. They aren't going to magically stop being @ssh0les and pick up their poop. If you provoke an @ssh0le, it only turns into a bigger @ssh0le. I wish I had a better idea about how to get @ssh0les to pick up their dogs poop, but they are @ssh0les.
    Couldn't agree more. This can only be chalked up to People Are *******s. I really wish I had something more constructive to say, but until there's a cure for or a strictly-enforced law against assholism, this problem will never go away.
    "It's not the bullet with my name on it that worries me; it's the one that says, 'To Whom It May Concern.'"
    -- Anonymous resident of Belfast, Ireland

rks
    rks is offline Senior Member

so this spring, I was having a new water line run into my house from the street. It was a real hot day, i think the first of the season, so the guys had their coolers infront of my across-the-street neighbor's house, in the shade of her awning. Along comes a guy from the next street over with his dog and we watch as he lets his dog pee all over the canvas cooler on my neighbors stoop and start to walk away. Now i live on a small street - it can't possibly be more than 15-20 feet across the street if even that much. One of the guys yells "YO! Did your dog just pee on my cooler?!?" and the guy says yeah and keeps walking...they get into an argument and the guy finally agrees that he'll come back around with warm water to clean it off...surprisingly he actually did...

Newbolder is offline Senior Member

Where do you get these signs? How do we get the streets department to place them under no parking signs?

jedi mind fart is offline Capt. funktastic

That's an awesome pic .
    Last edited by jedi mind fart; 10-15-2010 at 01:56 PM.
    "Cripple Tax"? Mayfair Meat., for the second time, I must tell you,
    SHUT UP!
    You are an absolute PIG.

So now I am standing on the corner of 4th and Shunk wit a bag of dicks.

Dog haters and cat collectors.

Welcome to DOG POOP THREAD #1,549,125 , Mayfair Meat

I wish I hardly saw hipsters anymore . OldMaestro

forkiks is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oladybug View Post
    Couldn't agree more. This can only be chalked up to People Are *******s. I really wish I had something more constructive to say, but until there's a cure for or a strictly-enforced law against assholism, this problem will never go away.
    Agreed - assholism abounds. We will not ever live in a world without dog poop. I can accept that every now and then an argument will ensue between someone that doesn't pick up the dog crap and a whiner. What strikes me is how easily someone will become the poop nazi so readily. It will probably do your mental health (not speaking to you oladybug) a world of good to accept that a**holes exist and that sometimes you will have to open your mouth against them and not hide behind signs and sneaky sh** like poisoning dogs.

philly704 is offline Senior Member

Well I do clean other peoples dog SH*T and I am sick of it. I can't even count all the times that I cleaned up after lazy A$%h*les in my neighborhood. I just am a firm believer that with a little brainstorming we can all come up with a really good tactic to put a stop to it. Even if it is as little as asking people to please clean up after dog poop. I don't think Newbolder was being serious when he suggested a bowl of anti freeze.

I do plan to get a camera for the front window of my house. (similar to the video posted above). Whatever it takes, I plan to do it. AssH*le or not I'm sick of seeing my neighborhood covered in dog sh*t and I could care less if you think I am a nazi or not. Not to mention that children live in my neighborhood and they run around the street playing. Isn't this a disgusting thought? Why should we put up with dog owners lack of responsibility..

CHIOSSO is offline Schuylkill Ranger

They should ban dogs in the city . Problem solved.
    Moyamensing became known for its penitentiary, violent hose company, cemeteries, wretchedly poor inhabitants, and crime. Harry C. Silcox

The Count is offline Senior Member

There's nothing you can do about it.

There was nothing you could do about it 5 years ago when the first "dog poop" thread was started on Phillyblog.

And there was nothing you could do about it 6 months ago when 87th "dog poop" thread was started on Philadelphiaspeaks.

phillysw is offline Senior Member

Just be careful not to chide responsible owners in your crusade against dog poo. I have two dogs and ALWAYS pick up after them, 100% of the time. Never once have I been disgusting and inconsiderate and left a pile of sh*t on the street. and yet I've had people yell at me when my dog is peeing, asking me if I'm going to pick that up. Uhh, do you want me to hold a cup under my dog or something?

Then there are the dog-hating neighbors who apparently believe my dogs are responsible any and all dog poop on the block. They enjoy taking other people's poo bags that have been left on the street, and placing them on top of my trashcan as a passive-aggressive note of sorts.

For every (literally) sh***y dog owner, there are quite a few responsible ones who think that person is a jerk.