Register
+ Reply to Thread
    OffSecond is offline Senior Member

Default Any homeowners insurance recommendations for a flat roof?

I'm looking for homeowners insurance for a rowhome 1100 sf with a flat rubber roof. Any recommendations for a quality insurance company? My agent says that because of the flat roof and the size I'm limited to only three companies Travelers, Safeco and Foremost. Any suggestions?

Lt. Dallas is offline Junior Member

Not the case. Those are probably the only companies that your agent has authority to write. I am with Liberty Mutual (which owns Safeco) and know of others who have Allstate, Nationwide, State Farm, Erie, Amico, Hartford and I'm sure there are plenty of others. For what it is worth, I called around and did on-line quotes for many companies and Safeco/Liberty Mutual had the lowest rates for me.

stock is offline Senior Member

I use Washington Crossings insurance, they are an Erie company but also can place you with other companies. The owner Howard is the man. I've given his number out to plenty of clients when their insurance company would not insure them because of this or that. It's usually because they only insure homes in the suburbs and a city home is built different.

Below if from their site.

link

Phone:215-321-4990
    Fax: 215-321-0224
    Email: hnenner@wxins.com

Washington Crossing Insurance Group, LLC
    1075 River Road, Ste #3
    Washington Crossing, PA 18977

I GET NOTHING FOR THIS, JUST A SATISFIED CUSTOMER. BUT I GUESS IT CAN'T HURT TO SAY I SENT YOU!!
    Chris
    Philadelphia Salvage
    Design Build

542 Carpenter Lane - Retail and Custom
    2234 W. Westmoreland "The Foundry"

"Anyone who would trade their freedom for safety
    deserves neither freedom or safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

phillysw is offline Senior Member

I'm with State Farm. Not my first choice as my policy is pricier than I'd like, but I got redlined by Erie, Progressive, and others for having pit bulls. This is a flat roof home with some old wiring intact.

PGH Lessons is offline Senior Member

I have erie for my flat roof home. They were great in covering a frozen pipe/cracked/basement flooded claim. Before that I had Foremost and paid almost double for my annual rate at that time

shallotry is offline Junior Member

You can get homeowners through pretty much any major provider if you just contact the local office instead of using the main #.

Newboldrehabguy is offline Senior Member

Seriously shop around. It amazes me how for the same coverage companies will charge such different rates. 2 years ago I dropped my homeowners from $1550 to $1100 and got better coverage. Switched from Farmer's to Allstate. Good luck.

Brooke is offline Moderator

Um, we pretty much all have "flat roofs" by insurance company definition. That's pretty crazy advice from your agent. I'd recommend giving an insurance broker a call, like Trident Insurance (owned by Prudential) and letting them shop the rate for you. I've used Marianne Sims there and you can get to the main number by calling 215-627-6005 and asking for her.

Usually getting roof coverage is limited to roofs that have certifications a/k/a "certs." Certs must be obtained by the roofer that did the work--others won't give them certs because certs basically warrant the work for a certain period of time and you'll rarely find a roofer that wants to certify another roofer's work. So you may opt to not get roof coverage now and add it later when you get a new roof.

Good luck. Allstate and Erie tend to be the cheapest homeowner's company in the area, just FYI.
    Licensed Pennsylvania Real Estate Salesperson and inactive and happily non-practicing Attorney, CITYSPACE
    www.freshquarters.com

stock is offline Senior Member

I hear people get denied all the time. I was when I bought my firts home, I forget who I had, but they said they don't insure flat roofs. They do all thier work in the suburbs where there are not many flat roofs. Flat roofs catch fire easier and leak eaiser, so for that company it made sense.

I just got an email from a client in South Philly that bought a home and is being denied bacuse of a flat roof.
    Chris
    Philadelphia Salvage
    Design Build

542 Carpenter Lane - Retail and Custom
    2234 W. Westmoreland "The Foundry"

"Anyone who would trade their freedom for safety
    deserves neither freedom or safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

rks
    rks is offline Senior Member

i work for travelers and had an "employee discount." when it came time to renew my policy i did some research and realized i was paying a lot more than i needed to so i went with allstate. i contacted the 800 number through the website and they quoted me a price but listed the wrong type of roof. when they came by to see the property they realized the roof didn't match and they cancelled my policy. i then spoke with a local agent who hooked me up and i've been thrilled with the service and savings - having both homeowner's insurance and car insurance with allstate is saving me an additional $175 a year on top of the lower premium.

Richard Kahmer - 610.532.2800 let him know you got his name from Allison.

insurancephila is offline Junior Member

Please feel free to contact us for a free home quote. No issues with flagt roofs

Free Auto Quote
    Consider the following site to request a free proposal-
    https://www.erieinsurance.com/Applic...tNumber=AA8863

You can get a detailed quote in three minutes. We represent several carriers, including Erie Insurance
    new website at www.mccolluminsuranceagency.com
    visit us on Facebook