Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Philth is offline Junior Member

Default Damn Proud Gentrifying South Philadelphian

Hello, so I'm new to this forum, but I've read many posts, and suspect that most of the cynicism and negativity is reflective of the posting people, not necessarily a shared attitude.

Anyhow, just figured I'd throw in my two cents...

My wife and I moved to South Philly, on 16th Street in between Wolf and Ritner, a little over 2 years ago. We've met our neighbors. We walk our dogs regularly around the neighborhood. We added a baby girl to our family last May. And I have no intentions of moving.

I love South Philadelphia, and I'm proud to say that I live here. We have a fresh bread bakery (Cacia's), a fresh pastry bakery (Potito's), and an exceptional butcher (Dad's) that are a pitching iron away from our front door.

I'm not crazy about the trash on the street/sidewalk, and I wish sometimes that it was easier to find a parking spot, but every neighborhood - including the Burbs - has it's ups and downs. And I'd say that South Philly is as unique a community as any neighborhood in the country (and I've lived all over).

There's real urban grit here (I wish that crime and poverty didn't exist, but they do); there's authentic food and culture (the 9th Street Market is bad-a_s); and there's accessibility to all sorts of places throughout the City.

Moreover, I find that people are a heck of a lot nicer than they're given credit for. When we first moved into the neighborhood, we were concerned when walking the dogs or going to a Phils game or something, given the bad rep. Sometimes, I'd see someone walking towards us (black OR white, btw), and think, "uh oh, this might be trouble," but invariably, people say hello or, at worst, walk by without noticing you.

We've had some minor issues (i.e., guy trying to sell us Xanex outside of SPTR; kid who was spouting anti-semitic rhetoric right outside his house with his parents watching; going to the Wolf Street Cafe to buy a 6-pack), but honestly, that's the reality of living in the City, and if you want absolute safety (and boredom), you should move to the Burbs.

Anyhow, I guess the point of my soliloquy here is just to let some of you know that there are quite a few people that love living in South Philly, and I'm one of them. I love having my friends and family over so I can show off our cool patio or eclectic neighborhood. I can't wait til the weather is permanently warm so I can take more advantage of P'yunk Avenue and Citizen's Bank Park. And I plan on bringing up my daughter in this community.

So that's about it. I hope there are more of you out there that agree with me.

Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator

Welcome. Enjoy, and many people here love S. Philly.
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

Dane is offline Can't cook

Agreed! I think most of us are here because we love it. There really is no place like it.

People just like to bitch on the internet (myself included). When I walk out my front door I smile...

OutOfContext is offline Internet Jerk

Are you the guy who keeps throwing roofing nails in my backyard?

I'm glad you enjoy it in St. Monica's, it's a truly special neighborhood if you ask me. I won't be leaving either.

I am a little confused as to why you think of yourself as an agent of gentrification though...
    Last edited by OutOfContext; 03-23-2010 at 02:19 PM.

desolate is offline Double spaced

Quote Originally Posted by Philth View Post
    Hello, so I'm new to this forum, but I've read many posts, and suspect that most of the cynicism and negativity is reflective of the posting people, not necessarily a shared attitude.

Anyhow, just figured I'd throw in my two cents...

My wife and I moved to South Philly, on 16th Street in between Wolf and Ritner, a little over 2 years ago. We've met our neighbors. We walk our dogs regularly around the neighborhood. We added a baby girl to our family last May. And I have no intentions of moving.

I love South Philadelphia, and I'm proud to say that I live here. We have a fresh bread bakery (Cacia's), a fresh pastry bakery (Potito's), and an exceptional butcher (Dad's) that are a pitching iron away from our front door.

I'm not crazy about the trash on the street/sidewalk, and I wish sometimes that it was easier to find a parking spot, but every neighborhood - including the Burbs - has it's ups and downs. And I'd say that South Philly is as unique a community as any neighborhood in the country (and I've lived all over).

There's real urban grit here (I wish that crime and poverty didn't exist, but they do); there's authentic food and culture (the 9th Street Market is bad-a_s); and there's accessibility to all sorts of places throughout the City.

Moreover, I find that people are a heck of a lot nicer than they're given credit for. When we first moved into the neighborhood, we were concerned when walking the dogs or going to a Phils game or something, given the bad rep. Sometimes, I'd see someone walking towards us (black OR white, btw), and think, "uh oh, this might be trouble," but invariably, people say hello or, at worst, walk by without noticing you.

We've had some minor issues (i.e., guy trying to sell us Xanex outside of SPTR; kid who was spouting anti-semitic rhetoric right outside his house with his parents watching; going to the Wolf Street Cafe to buy a 6-pack), but honestly, that's the reality of living in the City, and if you want absolute safety (and boredom), you should move to the Burbs.

Anyhow, I guess the point of my soliloquy here is just to let some of you know that there are quite a few people that love living in South Philly, and I'm one of them. I love having my friends and family over so I can show off our cool patio or eclectic neighborhood. I can't wait til the weather is permanently warm so I can take more advantage of P'yunk Avenue and Citizen's Bank Park. And I plan on bringing up my daughter in this community.

So that's about it. I hope there are more of you out there that agree with me.

Nice post.

Realistic and appreciative.

Welcome.

Here's a doormat for you!

Onion Store > 'Sometimes I Feel Like I'm The Only One Trying To Gentrify This Neighborhood' Doormat

Best of luck and know that other parts of the city also share those unique blends

Even places like Mayfair, Manyunk, Fishtown, etc.
    I'm not seeing all these supposed bikes in all these million dollar bike lanes.

Cya
    Cya is offline Don't get me started

My cousin, after living in Mayfair for 20+ years, finally moved to S. Philly about 4 yrs ago. Why? All his buddies were down there. He was always down there hanging out and decided he liked it down there so much, he bought a house.

He loves it. I think he's around 2nd/Snyder? I was visiting a couple times and everyone is just as friendly as I've found in other neighborhoods.

Yes, parking is a b*tch, but you take the good with the bad everywhere.

Newbolder is offline Senior Member

People who want to help Gentrify south Philadelphia should atleast show up to one zoning hearing. Right now the dumb and poor have the vote on what can get built since they are the only ones who show up to these meetings at Point Breeze Ave.

I will upload the recording of last night's meeting for all to hear how dumb these people are who vote in packs. They are the most racist people I have encountered, and you think white folks can get bad...

TonyDanza is offline Senior Member

I agree with most of that except for bringing up a kid in this city. Catholic schools are not an option, so we'll have to leave as soon as we have a child that is of school age. I will not subject my child(ren) to the Philly public school system.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDanza View Post
    I agree with most of that except for bringing up a kid in this city. Catholic schools are not an option, so we'll have to leave as soon as we have a child that is of school age. I will not subject my child(ren) to the Philly public school system.
    Central, CAPA, Masterman.

Some of the best HS's in the entire country.

Public.

kbjc1972 is offline Senior Member

Why aren't Catholic schools an option? There are other options such as private and charters.

TonyDanza is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kbjc1972 View Post
    Why aren't Catholic schools an option? There are other options such as private and charters.
    Well, the religious aspect of it for one. I have to admit that we haven't looked that closely at other private schools. Probably later this year when we get more serious about the prospect of children.

Philth is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by desolate View Post
    Central, CAPA, Masterman.

Some of the best HS's in the entire country.

Public.
    Agreed. My daughter is only 10 months old, but I'm already getting her primed for Masterman! ( : haha... I'm also interested in GAMP, and possibly Girls High, too.

Catholic school really isn't an option. Primarily because I'm not Catholic! But more than that, I think there are plenty of viable places for me to ensure a quality education. If I strike it rich, I'd love to look at Friends Select or another private school, but I'd really rather send her to public school, both from an economic and depth of education standpoint.

I'm not too sure about elementary schools yet (where in the heck do you get reliable information about them?), but honestly, I think the whole 'Philadelphia crappy education' mantra is a bit overhyped.

Well, the religious aspect of it for one. I have to admit that we haven't looked that closely at other private schools. Probably later this year when we get more serious about the prospect of children.
    wait, no kids any your're already moving for them?

The biggest crackheads I ever knew went to Lower Merion, Plymouth Whitemarsh, CH East, and CB West.

RockysMom is offline Native

Thanks for the positive post. I love it here too. Welcome and enjoy!

Newbolder is offline Senior Member

YouTube - Gentrification Of South Of South Street Philadelphia

This video makes me sick. Yet it's so properly spoken over such a hood topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbolder View Post
    YouTube - Gentrification Of South Of South Street Philadelphia

This video makes me sick. Yet it's so properly spoken over such a hood topic.
    LOL @ that video. Gentrification was the cause of the trash on the streets? Laughable.

I suppose they'd rather have drug corners, shootings, and muggings than those pesky white folks who eat outside.

ogawk is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Newbolder View Post
    I will upload the recording of last night's meeting for all to hear how dumb these people are who vote in packs. They are the most racist people I have encountered, and you think white folks can get bad...
    I believe, albeit I am not 100% certain, that it is illegal to have recorded a meeting without notifying everyone in attendance that it was being recorded and having their consent. So, unless you so advised and had such consent, I'd be cautious about uploading that audio.

Just so you know, there are long-term residents who want to see change in Point Breeze. Notwithstanding the charges by another poster on philadelphiaspeaks, South Philadelphia H.O.M.E.S. is not leading the anti-gentrification charge. That would be a bunch of dissidents, led by Tiffany Green and Betty Beaufort (?), who constantly harass and seek to intimidate Claudia Sherrod from H.O.M.E.S. who wants to see market rate forces at work in tandem with decent, affordable housing.

Two Street is offline Banned

How is the original poster a Damn Proud Gentrifying South Philadelphian ?

16th and Wolf/Ritner ?

When did that neighborhood become bad ?

Are you kidding me /

Hey tough guy, move to, let's say, anywhere around 24/Snyder, Jackson, then you can talk.

Sycamore is offline Sure Shot

It can't have always been nice. He just discovered it!

Quote Originally Posted by Two Street View Post
    How is the original poster a Damn Proud Gentrifying South Philadelphian ?

16th and Wolf/Ritner ?

When did that neighborhood become bad ?

Are you kidding me /

Hey tough guy, move to, let's say, anywhere around 24/Snyder, Jackson, then you can talk.
    Yeah, that's what I was getting at when I said I didn't quite understand why he felt he was an agent of gentrification...

I'm biased, but to me it's one of the more stable and well maintained areas of the city.