Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh
Looks way better! Still figuring out changes in functionality.
Sandy Smith, Wanderer in Germantown, Philadelphia
Editor-in-Chief, Philadelphia Real Estate Blog - but all opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone.
""Jazz and blogging are both intimate, improvisational, and individual -- but also inherently collective. And the audience talks over both." --Andrew Sullivan, "Why I Blog," The Atlantic, November 2008
Really like the face lift and drop down category menus; good work guys!
I like the new look. Much easier on the eyes.
But Jesus knew their thoughts, and said to them: “Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, and every city or house divided against itself will not stand. Matthew 12:25 (New King James Version)
Maybe I'm doing something wrong (wouldn't surprise me) there is nothing posted in any of the neighborhoods in the new drop down menu. Help!
The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself. ~ Benjamin Franklin
2. articles that will feature threads in the forums, plus new articles written by PS members
Right now, #2 is not populated. I hope to get that going over the next week
Like PS on Facebook!
How do you search and edit?
Can you nix the leather band behind the logo? It adds nothing, and just clutters, the site design.
And now that I'm on a desktop, this is horrible. Hate to be a retro-grouch and a debbie downer, and no offense, but it seems like you installed a generic forum template made by a hack non-designer.
- Things were at least proportional before, but now the body text is smaller than the text on the "+ Reply to Thread" button!
-There is too much black at the top and it's overpowering the red, and THE ALL CAPS COPY thing is really overdone and annoying to use.
- Why is the username input field black text on a dark gray background? And there needs to be some leading between each individual post if you're going to use a gray bar to end a post and a black one to begin one.
The theme broke the forum's flow. It was obviously hacked together by someone who just learned CSS without any design skills. It's now really hard to skim posts and it hurts my eyes. I understand you want to create a comprehensive scheme to make the forums a component of a larger site, but please reconsider and install something nicer.
I agree with cewillm that the design needs a bit of tweaking. The biggest offenders for me:
That all said I do appreciate you trying to improve things. I never would have complained before (since it isn't like this is a paid service) but now that you're making changes please take this as *constructive* feedback only.
- Red font is a definite no-no.
- Hyperlinks should generally be the same font and underlined...or at the very least if they aren't, the color should be complementary rather than glaring.
- Way too much "dark" in the header of each post and at the top of the page. It definitely separates the posts, but it also distracts from them too. Tone the contrast there down a notch.
- The top of the page is too thick and dark (that's what she said?) as well. The leather trim is cute but overall the header is a ton of wasted space. There's absolutely no reason why the logo and welcome links can't share one row...same can be said for the Home and New Posts rows.
- Overall the site is (and always was) just too "busy".
Last edited by Tartan69; 10-23-2012 at 10:47 PM.
We def want constructive criticism! I hate the red text myself....
CE I will send you a PM later.
Like PS on Facebook!
definately the red is a lil hard on the eyes
the 5 minute edit button should be extended also
the search allways worked before you signed in
sometimes as much as i try to post i sweem to quite forget to add another subject
small change was added to the city section tonight
very nice clean new look
thank you again
Last edited by govtstatistic; 10-23-2012 at 11:08 PM.
ACCOUNTABILITY WE CAN BELIEVE IN
wanted for conspiring to cover up public corruption
reward or prosecution inevitable
Awsome !!! Love the new look ...way better then before !! My compliments to the chef !!!!!
- Avant Garde font for logo doesn't hold up against the bold, dark colors of the masthead (always was kinda flimsy-looking)
- Leather "stitching" around the logo is distracting; looks like a cheap belt
- On the "New Posts" screen, the "New Posts" menu bar turns white-on-white when you hover over it
- Pastels of forum icons look terrible with charcoal and crimson above and below
- One-minute editing window WTF
- More iPad-friendly (maybe other tablets, too, idk)
- The new menu bar ("HOME"/"FORUM"/"NEIGHBORHOODS"/etc.) is tremendously useful—particularly the drop-down items
- The two-part interface (forum + articles) reminds everyone that the discussions should be about Philadelphia, not the hurt feelings of a few habitual posters w/ nothing better to do
Last edited by OffenseTaken; 10-24-2012 at 12:55 PM.
I like that each neighborhood has an RSS feed. (Unless it's always been that way and I didn't notice.)
"I seen a tortoise attack a peacock once. That sh*t was epic." --Philadelphia Zoo employee