Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default SEPTA in the SNOW!: Winter 2010

I thought I make this because this will be the second time this season that sEPA been crippled by a 20+ storm....

and at this moment, might not be the last one too(Tuesday Feb 9th)...

SATURDAY FEB 5th 2010:

Regional Rail: Effective at 2:00pm all Regional Rail service is suspended until Sunday Morning.

Trolley Lines: Effective at 2:00pm all Trolley line service is suspended until Sunday Morning.

Bus: All BUS, LUCY and CCT service is suspended due to weather and street conditions.

CCT (paratransit) is not taking reservations for Sunday, Feb. 7.

Norristown High Speed Line: Service is currently suspended.

Market Frankford Line: Trains are operating on a Saturday schedule.

Broad Street Line: Trains are operating on a Saturday schedule.

wouldn't be as bad in the city if we have more than two heavy rail lines. Adam and i were talking about this, would be nice if they had a plan (city and SEPTA) to run the subway all night when this happens, saw some cold people out there that looked stranded late last night. I also wish Amtrak and SEPTA could get their trains running sooner to provide a barebones way to get around the region but I imagine that requires snow removal equipment they don't have.
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

As long as the trains are running continuously, snow removal equipment isn't really needed, but as they stop running comes the snow....

As I expected, the Night Owls are not running tonight:

Market Frankford Line: Train service will end at approximately 12:30 AM as per normal Saturday schedules. NiteOwl bus service will not operate.

Broad Street Line: Train service will end at approximately 12:30 AM as per normal Saturday schedules. NiteOwl bus service will not operate.

This would have been a good chance for SEPTA to experiment with nightOWL trains, but maybe another time...

Default SEPTA El & BSS to run all night tonight

Quote Originally Posted by mixiboi View Post
    As I expected, the Night Owls are not running tonight:

Market Frankford Line: Train service will end at approximately 12:30 AM as per normal Saturday schedules. NiteOwl bus service will not operate.

Broad Street Line: Train service will end at approximately 12:30 AM as per normal Saturday schedules. NiteOwl bus service will not operate.

This would have been a good chance for SEPTA to experiment with nightOWL trains, but maybe another time...
    Your wish has been granted:

Market Frankford Line: SEPTA will extend service to operate all night. Trains will depart FTC and 69th Street Terminal every 20 minutes beginning at 1 AM. Normal Sunday service begins at approximately 5 AM.

Broad Street Line: SEPTA will extend service to operate all night. Trains will depart Fern Rock and Pattison every 30 minutes beginning at 1 AM. Normal Sunday service begins at approximately 5 AM.
    “Guys like you I would dispatch with my roofing axe.” -- BootsywannabeACretin

nice. I wonder why they couldn't run Malvern trains today, seems like at least some Keystone trains were running. Perhaps they just didn't have the resources to plow the stations? too bad the city only has two subways!!
    Jonathan Safran Foer

Banned

The funny thing is that the buses ran much later here in the city last time, when the weren't prepared for it.

The stopped running the 47 early last evening and it still isn't back up, though the street is clear enough.

Banned

I just saw the first 47 bus go by about five minutes ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Morley View Post
    The funny thing is that the buses ran much later here in the city last time, when the weren't prepared for it.

The stopped running the 47 early last evening and it still isn't back up, though the street is clear enough.
    I think it's a good thing, if you look now, all bus routes are operating normally again and there are minimal detours. Last time they weren't prepared, which is why the buses ran later. They also ended up getting stuck, getting in fender benders, and generally not being able to move people safely.

Yeah, running the buses during clean up means a higher % of getting stuck and causing more issues then needed to be.

That is what they learn from last storm. And it seem to work well....

And the buses are making sure the roads are clear for Monday now as they travel on the big intersections...

And AWESOME that SEPTA did 24 hour subway/el service...Maybe this will be the start of something...

Here's to Tuesday to make this happen again!
    Last edited by mixiboi; 02-07-2010 at 04:31 PM.

Took the 21 from West Philly to CC and back to run a brief errand. No problems, no delays at all. The whole thing took under an hour. I'm impressed!

Never anonymous

I agree that SEPTA made a good decision to stop running the buses, and run the subway and elevated lines after midnight. As for Regional Rail, crew absenteeism is going to be a major problem, even if the tracks are passable. A train can't go very far w/o an engineer. This debate is also being held on the Delaware Valley Association of Rail Passenger's (DVARP's) Facebook group, at Delaware Valley Association of Rail Passengers (DVARP) | Facebook. Feel free to join and comment

Yeah, that is the hardest part of it, getting the crew their who live much farther then many of the EL or BSL crew do from their depots.

Never anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by mixiboi View Post
    Yeah, that is the hardest part of it, getting the crew their who live much farther then many of the EL or BSL crew do from their depots.
    Especially given that Regional Rail requires considerably more crew members than the BSL and MFL.

My R6 to Norristown last nite (#4628) had a non-uniformed conductor wearing farmer bib overalls, a hooded sweat and a safety vest. He didn't collect any fares, but called out the stops. I've run into that before on rare occasion, although in one instance the non-uniformed conductor did collect fares.

What personnel do they use to substitute for conductors in crew shortage emergencies? Engineers? Yard cew people? Supervisors? I would imagine union work rules somewhat restrict who is allowed to play conductor in lieu of a real conductor.
    Last edited by Jayfar; 02-08-2010 at 09:43 AM.
    “Guys like you I would dispatch with my roofing axe.” -- BootsywannabeACretin

septa failed to consider one relatively small group of people when clearing stations, people boarding the r7 from chestnut hill east at wayne junction. riders have to cross a few tracks to board, and septa didn't bother clearing a path for them at all.

as a result, a middle aged woman took a VERY nasty fall in the deep snow. i watched the whole thing happen from the train. the three riders waiting with her had to literally pick her up out of the snow, help her hobble to the train and carry her bag.

they'd better hope she's not injured and/or litigious.

I'd guess yard crew. it's certainly possible soe yard crew employees are qualified on the road. certainly SEPTA could still use improvement but given that MARC and VRE are still not running with less snow, I guess I can't complain too much. heck, SEPTA even had the stairs salted this time at subway stops.
    Jonathan Safran Foer

Never anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
    My R6 to Norristown last nite (#4628) had a non-uniformed conductor wearing farmer bib overalls, a hooded sweat and a safety vest. He didn't collect any fares, but called out the stops. I've run into that before on rare occasion, although in one instance the non-uniformed conductor did collect fares.

What personnel do they use to substitute for conductors in crew shortage emergencies? Engineers? Yard cew people? Supervisors? I would imagine union work rules somewhat restrict who is allowed to play conductor in lieu of a real conductor.
    I think that's the same guy I had on the R2 Marcus Hook (which comes from Norristown). He didn't collect fares, but actually did a better job announcing stops than many conductors. He seemed to know the engineer well, as he kept going into the cab, although that might be b/c we had to back the train up for about a half-mile.

Subways will be running all night again tonight (and possibly tomorrow!). If this storm brings something good for Septa, I hope it's implementation of all night subway service on Fridays and Saturdays.

From Septa's storm plan, but not on the front page of Septa.org yet:

SEPTA will attempt to give customers at least a one-hour notice of service cancellations via the broadcast news media, SEPTA | Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority, and our Twitter account. Information is also available by calling SEPTA Customer Service at (215) 580-7800.

Regional Rail service will operate with reduced capacity on all lines. Significant delays can be expected as the storm progresses.

It is strongly recommended that customers heading toward Center City from outlying areas use the terminus stations of the Broad Street Line and Market Frankford Line. On the Broad Street Line, the stations are Fern Rock to the north and Pattison Avenue to the south. For the Market-Frankford Line, the stations are 69th Street to the west and Frankford Transportation Center to the east. Both subway lines will also operate throughout the night time hours on a half-hourly basis.

Extra efforts will be made to maintain service on the following major bus and trolley routes:

City Bus Routes 14, 21, 23, 27, 33, 47, 52, 55, 60, 66, 79, C and R

City Trolley Routes 10, 11, 13, 15, 34 and 36

Suburban Bus Routes 93, 96, 99, 104, 109, 110, 113, 124, 125 and 130

Trolley Routes 101 and 102

The Norristown High Speed Line, is always susceptible to drifting snow and will likely be suspended.

Watch it SEPTA, if you keep giving people Night trains, they might get used to it. lol