Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kitten Dies After Being Burned, Stoned

Kitten Dies After Being Burned, Stoned
    Investigation Under Way But Few Tips Have Come In

CHESTER, Pa. - Chester City police want to find the men they say tortured a kitten that has since died of its injuries.

The kitten, named "Cuddles" by caregivers, was found Saturday after being set on fire and pelted with rocks. The discovery was made in an alley on Fifth Street in Chester.

Cuddles was being treated at an animal hospital when she died Sunday just before midnight, the SPCA reported late Monday morning.

Authorities said they are still looking to make an arrest but few people have come forward.
    Link

Too bad I can't get those teenage boys alone in a dark alley with a bottle of lighter fluid and a match. They might change their mind about torturing innocent, defenseless beings.

If you're upset about it, please consider making a donation to a local shelter or rescue. They need continued funding to help animals like Cuddles and Sticky, and the many others who don't make the headlines.

I can only hope the monsters who did this meet a similar fate.
    If you believe people should work till they die to pay for a government worker to retire at 50, you're a Democrat. Otherwise, you're a Republican. All other differences between the parties are trivial.

Seriously. These stories are so sad. And sick.

I'd like to string them up by the balls, if they had any.
    Philly people, learn your history.

Pretty sick alright.

I'm curious though... How many peops incensed by stories like these eat supermarket meat produced from factory farmed animals many of which were raised under terrible conditions that caused the animals immense suffering before they were slaughtered? Is the ill-treatment of cats and dogs wrong while the suffering of farm animals not a problem?

The suffering makes the farm animals taste better, IMO.

Take that PETA shtick and spam it somewhere else.

You can say the same thing about humans. Why care about the homeless and poor here when there are millions in Africa starving?

Quote Originally Posted by Dayman View Post
    The suffering makes the farm animals taste better, IMO.
    You're a real charmer, Dayman.

Take that PETA shtick and spam it somewhere else.
    Are you always so quick to jump to totally assinine assumptions? In what way was my post spam? I have absolutely no connection to PETA or any similar sort of group. Furthermore, I've made dozens of posts on Philadelphia Speaks as well as several other online forums and never before has even a single one of those posts mentioned the treatment of animals.

I'm not advocating that anybody quit eating burgers. I just think that factory farms are nasty places that ought to be reformed to reduce avoidable animal suffering. You don't have to be some sort of PETA demonstrator donning a cow costume or a radical vegan anarchist gutter punk to agree with such a position.

You can say the same thing about humans. Why care about the homeless and poor here when there are millions in Africa starving?
    Maybe YOU could say that, Dayman, but I do not. Both situations need redress. To say that one calls for concern and action while the other one does not would be every bit as morally inconsistent and indefensible as somebody getting outraged about Cuddles' mistreatment while being entirely unconcerned about how farm animals are needlessly yet systematically subjected to suffering as they're prepared for slaughter. That's simply tunnel vision about animal cruelty.

Quote Originally Posted by borntochill View Post
    Pretty sick alright.

I'm curious though... How many peops incensed by stories like these eat supermarket meat produced from factory farmed animals many of which were raised under terrible conditions that caused the animals immense suffering before they were slaughtered? Is the ill-treatment of cats and dogs wrong while the suffering of farm animals not a problem?
    I only eat what I kill.

You're a real charmer, Dayman.
    Sarcasm, my friend, sarcasm.
    Are you always so quick to jump to totally assinine assumptions?
    Huh?

In what way was my post spam? I have absolutely no connection to PETA or any similar sort of group. Furthermore, I've made dozens of posts on Philadelphia Speaks as well as several other online forums and never before has even a single one of those posts mentioned the treatment of animals.
    Okay.

I'm not advocating that anybody quit eating burgers. I just think that factory farms are nasty places that ought to be reformed to reduce avoidable animal suffering. You don't have to be some sort of PETA demonstrator donning a cow costume or a radical vegan anarchist gutter punk to agree with such a position.
    Sure.

Maybe YOU could say that, Dayman, but I do not. Both situations need redress. To say that one calls for concern and action while the other one does not would be every bit as morally inconsistent and indefensible as somebody getting outraged about Cuddles' mistreatment while being entirely unconcerned about how farm animals are needlessly yet systematically subjected to suffering as they're prepared for slaughter. That's simply tunnel vision about animal cruelty.
    I don't consider all animals the same way. When a chicken or cow is slaughtered for food, something "good" comes out of it. I consider human "good" better than animal "good". When a cat is burned and has rocks thrown at it - there is nothing good coming out of it.

I don't think animals should be mistreated at all - however, what's near me and effects my life is more important to me than far off things I have no influence over. A cat being tortured in my area affects me more, because I have an interest in cats (I have four and have raised many more than that), than a crappy factory farm in the boonies. The same way I think that the conditions of some people sucks, I can't waste my emotional energy to feel sorry for them, however I can feel bad for homeless people here.
    Last edited by Dayman; 10-07-2009 at 05:18 AM.

Two things...

1: I agree those animals should be treated better but they are not family pets.

2: Try not to change the subject of the original post....If you want to discuss farm animal cruelty then go create your thread. We are discussing the recent rash of pet related incidents....the duct taped cat etc....not where we get our burgers or eggs.

This stuff isn't new. We found a duct taped cat with a hook through it's tail when I worked with my friend's dad at his pool store. There was a junkyard nearby where they did dogfights so presumably they would tape up a cat, hanged it with a hook from the ceiling over a pit of angry dogs.

Dayman and Cerb, I'll assume then if a cat is not a family pet, but is instead killed by somebody for food while first being subjected to no more ill-treatment than a cow or pig (say giving it third degree branding burns, tearing off its tail, feeding it an unhealthy, unnatural diet that gives it terrible stomach cramps and keeping it in a cage stuffed with other cats where it can't turn around or even comfortably lie down) then you'd be okay with it? I kid.

Cerb, your point about staying on-topic is understood. I'm done saying my piece, will respect your desire to stay focused on Cuddles, and am bowing out. But I do think it is fairly commonplace around here for people to bring in related topics. You have never, for example, interjected guns or gun rights into a discussion when that wasn't the original poster's subject?

For what it's worth, I'm a vegetarian/quasi-vegan. Does that make my outrage better somehow? Heh.

Seriously though, I agree that factory farming is horrific. I'd love to see it end, but it never will as long as Americans keep eating such large quantities of meat.

I eat meat and I do have an issue with how animals for food are treated both because it could be more humane for the animals, but also there are health implications of humans. That video of someone at a slaughterhouse tasering or whatever a cow that wouldn't get up? In addition to being curel, that cow could have been sick with something like like mad cow disease, which could then find it's way into our food. And maybe it's hypocritical, but I am much more appalled by the treatment of pets like cats and dogs than livestock. Dogfighting is henious. Cockfighting - I can't explain it, but it just ain't the same.

Sorry, on topic now, Dayman - that is horrible about the cat hanging by a hook through it's tail! Sadly, I'm getting used to hearing these stories

I think what upsets me the most about these stories is that only the worst examples make the news. I'm involved with cat rescue in the city and we've found multiple cats with BB gun pellets in their bodies, burned paws, collars so tight they're starting to embed in the skin, etc. People are sick.

The cases that piss me off the most are people who adopt from area shelters, then dump the cats back onto the street. We can tell because the cats are microchipped by the PSPCA (and before that, PACCA). Some of the adopters even take the time to register the microchip, but of course they never respond when you try to contact them. One gem of an adopter told us she didn't want the cat anymore because food cost too much...so she tossed the cat outside less than a month after she adopted it. Real nice.

In other words, the animal only has value if it's considered a pet.

Cerb, your point about staying on-topic is understood. I'm done saying my piece, will respect your desire to stay focused on Cuddles, and am bowing out. But I do think it is fairly commonplace around here for people to bring in related topics. You have never, for example, interjected guns or gun rights into a discussion when that wasn't the original poster's subject?
    Fell free to provide examples on when I injected firearm rhetoric into a thread that had nothing to do with firearms. Most of the time I am the OP of the thread anyway right?

Quote Originally Posted by drewrob23 View Post
    In other words, the animal only has value if it's considered a pet.
    My pets have higher value then some humans.

Quote Originally Posted by phillysw View Post
    People are sick.
    I found our first Siberian Husky wandering the street around my old duplex....she had a horrible case of demodex manage and a tight collar on but no tag or RFID.

We still cant believe someobody neglected her up until that point....You can see how bad her paws were....

Here we are three years later and shes fine with a great coat......it cost us an arm and a leg to get it all under control but shes worth every penny. The only question I would have for the previous owner would be why? Why would you let such a wonderful dog get that way?