Register
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Default Temple's Ten-year plan

Temple president's plan for the decade | Philadelphia Inquirer | 09/09/2009

Two thoughts. I can't believe Ann Weaver Hart's been here for 4 years, already. And, maybe we can get her to run for mayor, preferably as an R.
    Competition is indispensable to progress. John Stuart Mills.

President of a college is a way better job than mayor.

Quote Originally Posted by phillycat View Post
    President of a college is a way better job than mayor.
    no kidding! don't have to deal with cantankorous city council, though i suppose each university has its own board of trustees and if the president doesn't get along with them (the ones who did the hiring), that could spell trouble, but in academic environment that hardly ever happens (Texas A&M, however, just had exactly such a scandal happen unfortunately).

and university presidents usually end up making a lot more money than mayors.
    "The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door. That's the only difference."
    - Ralph Nader

Broad St definitely needs to be improved through Temple's campus. Right now a lot of that stretch is fronted by buildings that do horrible job addressing the street.

The part of Broad Street that Temple has is the cleanest. What are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Hospitalitygirl View Post
    The part of Broad Street that Temple has is the cleanest. What are you talking about?

He's not talking about cleanliness.

The point is that a good chunk of Broad between Oxford and Susquehanna is outdated Temple property, or outdated Temple supporting businesses, that can stand to go.

Examples include the University Services Building, which is a half-block large and only has a few tenants, and McGonigle Hall, whose operations could be moved to the Pavilion and the stadium.

As the above image shows, there are also plenty of old coffee/pizza shops (Temple Rainbow, anyone?), an ex-frat house, and decaying rowhomes that aren't doing anything good for Temple. (Messiah College's satellite rowhome-turned-school will probably stay, though.)

Ann Weaver Heart's plan isn't too genius. They're out of room for expansion so the only way to go is up and the only locations to go up at are these old buildings and parking lots.

I will be happy to see Barton and the Paley become a green space. They're both outdated buildings which don't make the best use of land.

I wish that someone was able to take over that frat house on the corner--it has such great bones.

I wish that someone was able to take over that frat house on the corner--it has such great bones.
    I agree. It's a huge house too. Ah, memories...
    -"Grey. You said green men. A Reticulan's skin tone is actually grey. They're notorious for their extraction of terrestrial human livers, due to iron depletion in the Reticulan galaxy."
    -"You can't be serious."
    -"Do you have any idea what liver and onions go for on Reticula?"

It was Wanamaker's old house.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyaggie View Post
    no kidding! don't have to deal with cantankorous city council,
    Unless of course you want to build something.

Quote Originally Posted by raider.adam View Post
    Unless of course you want to build something.
    Brings this back to one of my original points--someone like AWH would make a great mayor. Deals with all sorts of differing factions; has to appease them all in some way or other; and get things done! Draft her! Draft her now.

My understanding is that it caught fire a few years ago and has been vacant since, with no plans to re-build. Temple doesn't support frats financially so it's up to them to rebuild it.

I don't have any problems with the cleanliness of Broad St through Temple (though the pavement in front of White Hall is usually pretty dirty during the school year), it's the buildings that need to be addressed. All those brownstones need to be renovated, the empty lots developed (including the green space in front of Johnson & Hardwick), and buildings like McGonigle redeveloped. It's nice to see Temple finally considering Broad Street as part of the campus and not just somewhere to stick things that wouldn't fit in anywhere else.

A dedicated stream of hundreds of millions of state dollars will do that for you.

Brings this back to one of my original points--someone like AWH would make a great mayor. Deals with all sorts of differing factions; has to appease them all in some way or other; and get things done! Draft her! Draft her now.
    Some people would say that her way of "dealing with differing factions and getting things done" is by not changing Temple's stance on contract negotiations with various professional unions for years while in the meantime engaging the services of some pretty high powered labor law firms who consequently billed Temple many tens of thousands of dollars. IMO, that's not the wisest use of resources, especially since the tactic caused acrimony between the University Admin and some of its unions- including the Faculty Union.

According to students, staff, and faculty, she has been also criticized as being the most invisible and inaccessible Temple President for at least the last 3 administrations- something she was roundly and widely criticized for at her previous employer, UNH.

I don't mean this as a hit piece- some of Temple's accomplishments under her tenure were published in a puff piece @ Philly dot com and the growth of the University, the increase in surrounding neighborhood property values and the new interest in investing in businesses surrounding campus are clearly revitalizing the area- but it is a counterpoint to your unbridled enthusiasm for a Weaver Hart mayoral ticket.

But who knows, depending on what inbred machine hack was on the opposing ticket I might vote for Ann myself.
    Last edited by sometimesilie; 09-09-2009 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sometimesilie View Post
    but it is a counterpoint to your unbridled enthusiasm for a Weaver Hart mayoral ticket.
    Not *unbridled* per se. More along the lines of this:

Quote Originally Posted by sometimesilie View Post
    But who knows, depending on what inbred machine hack was on the opposing ticket I might vote for Ann myself.

Not *unbridled* per se. More along the lines of this:

Quote Originally Posted by cewillm View Post
    The point is that a good chunk of Broad between Oxford and Susquehanna is outdated Temple property, or outdated Temple supporting businesses, that can stand to go.

Examples include the University Services Building, which is a half-block large and only has a few tenants, and McGonigle Hall, whose operations could be moved to the Pavilion and the stadium.
    North to the future | Philadelphia Daily News | 09/08/2009

Quote Originally Posted by The Philadelphia Inquirer
    The university plans a new science-research building at 11th Street and Montgomery Avenue, and a dormitory at Broad and Oxford streets, on the site of the University Services Building, which is to be demolished soon.

Quote Originally Posted by cewillm View Post
    My understanding is that it caught fire a few years ago and has been vacant since, with no plans to re-build. Temple doesn't support frats financially so it's up to them to rebuild it.
    it did catch fire a couple years ago but was restored. it's been home to AEPI for like a year now

It's weird, but Temple "growth" stories are one of the *few* stories where Philly dot com commenters are actually engaged and informed. Temple development stories are Philadelphia in a microcosm- Big Economic engine, outsiders, neighborhood development and transformation, quality of life issues, local council people throwing down, community organizations, student organizations, union issues. I find it interesting, anyway.