Register
Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

Default The Point Breeze Community is Under Attack....

"The Point Breeze Community is under attack but community members are organizing and fighting back and holding a march on Aug. 24th to commemorate the March on Washington and protest profit-first development." Oy, should be a fun day in the 'hood.

Makes perfect sense since the March on Washington was in part to end housing segregation and these folks seem to intend to want to enforce maintaining housing segregation.

"I have a dream that every neighbor shall be judged not by the content of their character but by whether they have a roof deck . . ."

I think I may have missed the connection between a school closing and real estate development.

Quote Originally Posted by AnninStreet View Post
    I think I may have missed the connection between a school closing and real estate development.
    You need to stop people from building new houses because that would generate more property taxes to support the schools.
    I took it to mean they support school closings, since they so strongly disapprove of the thing that will most directly improve the school funding situation.

Blerb...
    Last edited by Julia1020; 08-07-2013 at 02:23 PM.

that guy in the back seems to have a look that says "I can't believe my mom is making me do this!"
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

Senior Advisor

i get taxed like crazy every paycheck so they can have free health care. while they sit on their stoops like theyve done since 1970 whatever. popping out kids who shoot each other, rob others, litter their so called streets. they dont treat their so called "home" or neighbors with respect and dignity so move the **** out so people who give a damn about living can move in. This makes me angry. i hate stupid people. act like theyre not mooching off the workermans tax dollars for their diabetes, kidney failure, amputated toes, welfare because they cant keep their pants on or keep a job. they cant even keep a family much less a neighborhood!!

my income taxes in one check triples what they will ever pay in one year for Real Estate taxes and the two percent sales taxes over the rest of Pennsylvania is why people don't shop at Mom and Pop city stores on Point Breeze Ave. Want to compare who puts in more to the Tax pool and who takes out of the tax pool?

Last edited by DaTruf; 08-07-2013 at 03:49 PM.

Junior Dilettante

Stats from the video's Vimeo page:

Once again, Philadelphia Speaks proves it can generate more free publicity for these clowns than the Xerox at Theresa McCormick's church ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by OffenseTaken View Post
    Stats from the video's Vimeo page:

Once again, Philadelphia Speaks proves it can generate more free publicity for these clowns than the Xerox at Theresa McCormick's church ever did.
    Ha! 161 plays and zero (0) likes:

Plays
    Comments
    “Guys like you I would dispatch with my roofing axe.” -- BootsywannabeACretin

The whites are movin in! There goes the neighborhood.

I lived in Point Breeze for a year in a rental. It wasn't the worst place in the world, but it wasn't the best. I'm not going to dwell on generalizations because it's pointless. The neighborhood was a tight knit, friendly community, but that community existed almost solely of renters, renters who've been renting since the 70s. My house cost my landlord $20,000 in the early 2000s. That kind of rock bottom real estate was available to the neighborhood's renters for decades. I understand that some people don't have the credit or money for a down payment, but many in the neighborhood had the means to finance a $20,000 house (or in the 90s, even less), invest in the neighborhood that they are just no concerned with, yet chose to continue renting.

She knows the secrets. Bilderberg at OCF Realty.

82 in the house.

i'm confused. weren't laws already passed to help long term owners keep their houses?

I can see why they are upset about the 10 tax abatement when their taxes will go up.

But they must see that people have to move in the area to get more taxes to pay for the schools.

Also I thought that the tax abatement didn't mean you paid no tax for 10 years but that you didn't pay a certain kind of tax. you stil have to pay some things.

Without new people coming in how wil the neighborhood improve. Isn't having a restaurant, bar or cafe open good to have eyes on the street and develop a sense of community?

someone very smart needs to talk to them and explain that there are already laws in place for their protection. at least that's what i understood from this forum.

somebody set me straight.
    "If you're going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh; otherwise they'll kill you."
    - attributed to both George Bernard Shaw & Oscar Wilde

"I never clean up after my dogs, because I have trained them to run with me off leash while I ride my bike the wrong way on the sidewalk."
    - LUCas
    Originally Posted by Dave L We need to focus on banning both singers who crap on the sidewalk and dogs that annoy people with their singing. - Mondo

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    i'm confused. weren't laws already passed to help long term owners keep their houses?

I can see why they are upset about the 10 tax abatement when their taxes will go up.

But they must see that people have to move in the area to get more taxes to pay for the schools.

Also I thought that the tax abatement didn't mean you paid no tax for 10 years but that you didn't pay a certain kind of tax. you stil have to pay some things.

Without new people coming in how wil the neighborhood improve. Isn't having a restaurant, bar or cafe open good to have eyes on the street and develop a sense of community?

someone very smart needs to talk to them and explain that there are already laws in place for their protection. at least that's what i understood from this forum.

somebody set me straight.
    No, you don't need to be set straight. The rabble rousers need to be set straight. That's all that this is. This is just another neighborhood being improved by those actually investing in a neighborhood, while those too short sighted to invest in it 20 years ago are pissed that their $20,000 rental property is worth $200,000.

The lady on the video said she owned her house didn't she? the other thing is, people who live in a neighborhood don't really have control over it, we're part of a city. Maybe they should start the annex point breeze movement. Put up a fence around the boarders and run it themselves. That could possibly be like "escape from ny" but would make an interesting social experiment.
    "If you're going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh; otherwise they'll kill you."

"I never clean up after my dogs, because I have trained them to run with me off leash while I ride my bike the wrong way on the sidewalk."
    - LUCas
    Originally Posted by Dave L We need to focus on banning both singers who crap on the sidewalk and dogs that annoy people with their singing. - Mondo

The lady on the video said she owned her house didn't she? the other thing is, people who live in a neighborhood don't really have control over it, we're part of a city. Maybe they should start the annex point breeze movement. Put up a fence around the boarders and run it themselves. That could possibly be like "escape from ny" but would make an interesting social experiment.
    CLASSIC. But yeah, that's pretty much what they're suggesting.

Quote Originally Posted by DCnPhilly View Post
    CLASSIC. But yeah, that's pretty much what they're suggesting.

Fine...let 'em run things for themselves.
    Competition is indispensable to progress. John Stuart Mills.

Quote Originally Posted by DCnPhilly View Post
    I lived in Point Breeze for a year in a rental. It wasn't the worst place in the world, but it wasn't the best. I'm not going to dwell on generalizations because it's pointless. The neighborhood was a tight knit, friendly community, but that community existed almost solely of renters, renters who've been renting since the 70s. My house cost my landlord $20,000 in the early 2000s. That kind of rock bottom real estate was available to the neighborhood's renters for decades. I understand that some people don't have the credit or money for a down payment, but many in the neighborhood had the means to finance a $20,000 house (or in the 90s, even less), invest in the neighborhood that they are just no concerned with, yet chose to continue renting.
    Point Breeze actually has a relatively high rate of homeownership, somewhere in the 50% range. That's higher than other Philadelphia neighborhoods with similar income levels, but still, that 50% of renters is certainly vulnerable to rent increases.

Regardless, if you think "many" in the neighborhood could afford to buy and maintain one of those $20,000 homes, you're kidding yourself. Judging from the level of blight and tax delinquency, Point Breeze is full of homeowners who cannot really afford to be homeowners. Renting is simply the best option for a large population, and with that comes the risk that you'll someday have to move.

Is this supposed to be a joke? Property taxes rise because property *values* rise. The house that she's lived in since 1970 is worth like double what it was when it was bought.

Quote Originally Posted by necromancer View Post
    Is this supposed to be a joke? Property taxes rise because property *values* rise. The house that she's lived in since 1970 is worth like double what it was when it was bought.
    true but she will only see that money if she sells right? or perhaps refinances? If she doesn't have the money to pay the taxes if they raise substantially she will have to sell and move. that's what she's complaining about. but as i said earlier I think the city council has already passed laws to prevent that. Why aren't they explaining this to the people? Not sure but keeping people scared and uninformed is a way to keep power for yourself.

- LUCas