Register
Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Default Building collapse @ 22d & Market

Just in on Twitter.

Building at 22d & Market has collapsed.
    Competition is indispensable to progress. John Stuart Mills.

Hillman Apartments. 8-10 people trapped.

Holy crap! Watching it live now on WPVI.
    Philly people, learn your history.

It took out more than half of the adjoining Salvation Army store, which was NOT part of the demolition project! It doesn't look good for anyone who was inside. Only about the front 3rd of the store is intact.

UPDATE: Or actually only the walls of the S.A. store remain of the front section. That store also has a sales area in the whole length of the basement. Could be a very high casualty count.

Channel 3 of course is causing even greater panic by erroneously reporting that it is the Sidney Hillman Apartment Building that collapsed. That building is down the street across 22nd and is not affected. [I just called CBS 3 newsroom and at first they adamantly denied that they were reporting it as the Sidney Hillman Apts, but then, when I called back and told them I see "Sidney Hillman Apts" on my TV screen, conceded they were correcting their report.]

CBS3 very quickly removed my comment regarding their reporting error from their facebook page.
    Last edited by Jayfar; 06-05-2013 at 11:34 AM.
    “Guys like you I would dispatch with my roofing axe.” -- BootsywannabeACretin

Oh my god! It's unbelievable. They just said on 6 that it looks like war devastation, and it really does.

NBC 10 is horrible...it's the Salvation Army, not an apartment building. They've been demo-ing the Hoagie City (in fact they were working on the wall between that and the SA last night at 8pm ish)...my husband and I were wondering how they were going to take it down w/out taking out the SA building.

Awful...hope everyone is ok
    -"Grey. You said green men. A Reticulan's skin tone is actually grey. They're notorious for their extraction of terrestrial human livers, due to iron depletion in the Reticulan galaxy."
    -"You can't be serious."
    -"Do you have any idea what liver and onions go for on Reticula?"

Looks like Hoagie City and most of the Salvation Army store. Anything else on that block?

Wow. How in hell does something like this happen? Just structural defects?

Edit: Ah, just saw the post above. Botched demolition?

Dixie Wrecked

I have a hunch some lawyers are on deck somewhere....

There was the old Les Gals peep show joint and an adjoining adult place. They both closed in the past year. And a parking garage too.

Quote Originally Posted by carloss View Post
    Looks like Hoagie City and most of the Salvation Army store. Anything else on that block?
    Philly people, learn your history.

Live Video from FOX chopper. Looks pretty serious.

The Hoagie City has been closed for well over a decade, but the Salvation Army store, which has sales areas in the basement and first floor, opens at 9am and so casualties there may outnumber the demolition workers involved. You can see that all that is left are the walls in about the front third, minus most of the roof, and the rear two thirds is completely gone. Whether it collapsed into the basement, I cannot tell.
    “Guys like you I would dispatch with my roofing axe.” -- BootsywannabeACretin

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
    The Hoagie City has been closed for well over a decade, but the Salvation Army store, which has sales areas in the basement and first floor, opens at 9am and so casualties there may outnumber the demolition workers involved. You can see that all that is left are the walls in about the front third, minus most of the roof, and the rear two thirds is completely gone. Whether it collapsed into the basement, I cannot tell.
    I live across the street- the SA was definitely open when I left for work this morning. The demo guys have been taking the Hoagie City down (Les Gals was finished a few weeks or so ago) with a front end loader- just knocking down inner walls.
    -"Grey. You said green men. A Reticulan's skin tone is actually grey. They're notorious for their extraction of terrestrial human livers, due to iron depletion in the Reticulan galaxy."
    -"You can't be serious."

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
    Channel 3 of course is causing even greater panic by erroneously reporting that it is the Sidney Hillman Apartment Building that collapsed. That building is down the street across 22nd and is not affected. [I just called CBS 3 newsroom and at first they adamantly denied that they were reporting it as the Sidney Hillman Apts, but then, when I called back and told them I see "Sidney Hillman Apts" on my TV screen, conceded they were correcting their report.]
    I watched the video report on Channel 6's site, and Lloyd Ayers himself said it was the Sidney Hillman Apartments, so you have a public official spreading misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
    I watched the video report on Channel 6's site, and Lloyd Ayers himself said it was the Sidney Hillman Apartments, so you have a public official spreading misinformation.
    That's where I got the initial information. It became clear a little later where the center of this was.

Quote Originally Posted by Swinefeld View Post
    There was the old Les Gals peep show joint and an adjoining adult place. They both closed in the past year. And a parking garage too.
    Yeah, Les Gals and the bookstore were just demoed recently. I mean was anything else affected by the collapse?

Yeah, Les Gals and the bookstore were just demoed recently. I mean was anything else affected by the collapse?
    it doesn't look like it. NBC10 keeps saying there were apartments above Hoagie City which there wasn't because Hoagie City was already almost demo'd. It was a shell at this point.
    -"You can't be serious."

Since I'm in the mood to stir the pot this morning - the SA was refusing to sell the building to the guy who owns everything else on that block up to the fire station (including Les Gals, Hoagie City, and the parking garage/lot) for development. I wonder if this was not a complete accident?

Quote Originally Posted by BenDee View Post
    Since I'm in the mood to stir the pot this morning - the SA was refusing to sell the building to the guy who owns everything else on that block up to the fire station (including Les Gals, Hoagie City, and the parking garage/lot) for development. I wonder if this was not a complete accident?

That's a very expensive and illegal complete accident.