Register
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Why i finally moved out of the city !!

Violent night with 10 shootings that included sleeping woman

Philadelphia Police responded to at least 10 shootings yesterday evening into today, marking a wild night throughout the city.

The spasm of violence began about 5:30 p.m. Thursday and ended with three dead and others wounded by early this morning - over a period of little more than eight hours.

Perhaps the most bizarre incident was actually part of a wild crime spree in Frankford early this morning that ended with a 61-year-old woman being shot in the head with a stray bullet while sleeping in her bed.

That was spillover from another crime, as an alleged robber was breaking into neighboring house in an attempt to elude police, cops said.

The burglary took place about 2 a.m. today on the 5300 block of Charles Street near Bridge Street. The bullet instead tore through the siding of a house and struck the sleeping woman in a second-floor bedroom, Chief Inspector Scott Small said.

When cops responded, they discovered that the bullet -- which had been fired at a 28-year-old woman when she was held up by two men -- had somehow torn through siding beneath a window, drywall, a dresser in the older woman's room and her mattress before striking her, Small said.

Investigators said the bed was covered in the woman's blood, but that it appeared the bullet had slowed down enough by the time it hit her that it didn't hurt her as badly as it could have.

She was taken to Hahnemann University Hospital in stable condition and was having her head X-rayed for skull fractures around 4 a.m., Small said.

The woman was in bed alone at the time, according to cops. A caretaker who was also in the house was not injured.

The men police say were responsible for the shooting had pistol-whipped their 28-year-old robbery victim just prior to firing the gun at her after she refused to give up her belongings, police said. Before that robbery, according to investigators, the thugs had gone on a "crime spree" in the area, robbing at least four people and possibly carjacking a fifth.

Immediately after the shooting, police found the two suspects a few blocks away on Hawthorne Street near Harrison, Small said. Cops chased them and caught one man, who Small said had a gun, money, cell phones and a purse all believed to have been stolen during the robberies in his possession.

The second alleged robber ran to a house on the next block of Hawthorne Street and broke in trying to elude police, Small said. He had no connection to the people who lived in the house, and cops arrested him there. Police said he'll face charges of burglary for the break-in in addition to the charges for the robbery and shooting.

In other incidents:

In the first of the string shootings that began yesterday, two teens were shot, one critically, near 15th Street and Duncannon about 5:30 p.m.

Police said the teens, ages 16 and 19, were at 15th and Duncannon around 5:30 p.m. when shots rang out. The 16-year-old boy was wounded in the right leg, and the 19-year-old was shot in the back and both arms.

Both were taken to Albert Einstein Medical Center by medics, where the 19-year-old is in critical condition and the 16-year-old is stable.

Police were still investigating the shooting, and no arrests have been reported.

At about 9:15 p.m., two men were found shot, one fatally, inside a car in West Philadelphia late Thursday night, and cops were working to determine what led to the shooting.

Cops were called to the scene, at 54th and Ludlow streets, and found two men in their 20s suffering gunshot wounds inside a black Cadillac, Chief Inspector Scott Small said.

A 21-year-old man, identified as Raviya Roeuth, 21, of Philadelphia, was pronounced dead in the driver's seat of a gunshot wound to the neck.

The second man, 27, was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and remains in critical condition. Police said he was shot at least five times in the neck, hip and wrist.

The shooter was described as a man wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt and blue jeans who was last seen running west on Ludlow. Police said they found spent shell casings inside the car, leading them to believe the shooter was inside the vehicle with his victims when he shot them.

I'm not really concerned about the shootings. I'm just happy that Gio7707 finally feels safe and has the courage to come on this forum and share with us a news story to justify to him/herself that he/she made the right decision.
    "When I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

The Uncanny Valley

Quote Originally Posted by carloss View Post
    I'm not really concerned about the shootings. I'm just happy that Gio7707 finally feels safe and has the courage to come on this forum and share with us a news story to justify to him/herself that he/she made the right decision.
    I'm just glad Gio7707 re-blogs every freaking news article. Guess they never heard of Google News....

I bet Geo never even live near ANY of these places...
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

Quote Originally Posted by mixiboi View Post
    I bet Geo never even live near ANY of these places...
    Yes, it would take too long to get from Frankford to REVEL!!!!

Its funny. I live not terribly far from several of them and while it concerns me for its impact on my city and wider community I also know very well how self contained a lot of this stuff is within the drug economy.

♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫

OMG! Crime in the city. Who da thunk it.

The city is gettin' crappy.

there's no relationship between high tax rates (job and business killing high tax rates), unemployment and crime though.

nutter has done such a good job

Banned

I don,t blame you Gio. I guess one has to weigh the safety (relative) of the boring burbs with the danger of the much more exiting city. I had a cousin who was born and raised in the city and moved to Jersey in a single home and was tortured by his next door dysfunctional neighbors and their kids.

seems like somethign called a business killing XXX would have an effect on unemplyment. But I'm probably not as smart as you.

Nutter is head of the US Conference of Mayors because he is, what, doing such a bad job?

Nutter is quietly transforming this city from cobwebbed Rube Goldberg machine into a transparent, functional government with programs being copied by other cities (See Green City Clean Waters, Phillys tax credits for non profits, among others).

But the people running those other cities, Ney York, Boston, probably arent as smart as you.

Hey, Maybe YOU should run for MAYOR!
    Last edited by MackeyDingo; 10-19-2012 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Spelling is Hard

Nutter is quietly transforming Philly from a City with ridiculously high taxes, to a City with even more ridiculously high taxes.

He has done nothing to reduce the size or scope of City government. In fact he has increased the size of City government, while raising taxes and cutting services.

You're happy with this?

I've said it before and will say it again. If Philly exiles are so frickin' happy to be outta here, why come on this board. I moved from Jersey in '04 and wouldn't be the least bit interested in reading or participating in a South Jersey message board.
    "It's not the bullet with my name on it that worries me; it's the one that says, 'To Whom It May Concern.'"
    -- Anonymous resident of Belfast, Ireland

I wonder what it must be like to live next door to slumlords kickin' it cozy in Huntingdon Valley, knowing that the clothes on their backs were paid for by tenants' tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Oladybug View Post
    I've said it before and will say it again. If Philly exiles are so frickin' happy to be outta here, why come on this board. I moved from Jersey in '04 and wouldn't be the least bit interested in reading or participating in a South Jersey message board.
    It has to be boredom. What else could it be?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MackeyDingo View Post
    seems like somethign called a business killing XXX would have an effect on unemplyment. But I'm probably not as smart as you.

Nutter is head of the US Conference of Mayors because he is, what, doing such a bad job?

Nutter is quietly transforming this city from cobwebbed Rube Goldberg machine into a transparent, functional government with programs being copied by other cities (See Green City Clean Waters, Phillys tax credits for non profits, among others).

But the people running those other cities, Ney York, Boston, probably arent as smart as you.

Hey, Maybe YOU should run for MAYOR!
    Are you talking about Mayor MICHAEL Nutter? ( he asked rhetorically)?

Except you're more likely to get got by a car than by a bad guy, making the burbs crazy dangerous. Think of the people you know who've been killed or maimed. I know no one in the past thirty years who's been killed or maimed by a bad guy, but I know plenty who will never be the same because of automobiles. It's the car that's gonna get you.

Quote Originally Posted by Oladybug View Post
    Maybe having friends and relatives stuck back in the City? Ya think??

Seņor Member

Quote Originally Posted by StatesRights View Post
    Maybe having friends and relatives stuck back in the City? Ya think??
    I'm sure she cut ties with everyone she ever knew in Jersey.

For me, all this news is all the more reason for me to be in the city. The city needs the diversity of middle and upper class families that decamped for the suburbs over the past two generations. For me to leave the city is to continue to assist in perpetuating to what got it to its current state. Sure, I can't stop a shooting on the other side of the city, but I believe that I can contribute to my surrounding blocks and neighborhood in ways that wouldn't be as impactful in the homogenous suburbs.