Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Getting bloody in South Philly

A block-long shootout near 5th & Morris -- one fatality. Two shot at 8th & Jackson. I saw a drug bust go down at 9th & Jackson last week.

Boy, 17, shot dead, 3 others hurt in two South Philadelphia shootings

Getting worse or just the typical summer fun and games?

Any info on these shootings or drug corners in these parts of South Philly is of interest.

My experience is the end of the school year and the last two weeks of summer brings out the worst in the local loose cannons, I don't think they like changes in their routine.

we have an overpopulation problem. too many children born to wolves.

can we get a comment on the latest string of shootings, murder, and mayhem from the concerned citizens of point breeze?

have the police interviewed any roof decks?

just keep popping them out. don't worry. we'll step in and raise your children. what do you want? more money for schools? more reading volunteers? more parks? more government jobs? more factories? no problem.

Where are some of the current local drug corners in South Philly, east of Broad I mean? Just curious I'm not a drug addict.

Quote Originally Posted by avgsizepecker View Post
    Just curious I'm not a drug addict.
    Nice try, FBI.

"violently gunned down"

the victims were uncooperative when asked to provide information about the incident.
    Why doesn't law enforcement leverage the free medical care these "victims" are receiving, by making it conditional on their cooperation?

Quote Originally Posted by OffenseTaken View Post
    Why doesn't law enforcement leverage the free medical care these "victims" are receiving, by making it conditional on their cooperation?
    THey can't do that legally, but I wonder if a detective every tried to persuade someone that they could.

With the questionable ethics I've noticed by SOME in the police department, I wouldn't doubt it.

To even suggest refusing to treat victims due to their unwillingness to cooperate with the very police department that has been shown to be completely unable to protect witnesses from retribution is insane, immoral, and down right callous.

Yes, I understand that frustration can drive one to take a "hard line" towards combatants, but must we sacrifice our own humanity to address it?

Where are some of the current local drug corners in South Philly, east of Broad I mean? Just curious I'm not a drug addict.
    That would make a great thread.

Seriously, we should be publishing information about our local drug corners. Maybe, as long as it's safe, we should be uploading pics and video to this site.

I always smirk when there are reports of a shooting happening at a "known drug corner."

How ineffective is the police department in this city when there are such things?

There's a bar at the corner of 8th and Jackson so it isn't surprising a shooting taking place there.

Basically around the areas where these shooting happened. Along 7th st, and I'm told south of washington along 5th there are a couple of rival crews

Quote Originally Posted by OutOfContext View Post
    With the questionable ethics I've noticed by SOME in the police department, I wouldn't doubt it.

To even suggest refusing to treat victims due to their unwillingness to cooperate with the very police department that has been shown to be completely unable to protect witnesses from retribution is insane, immoral, and down right callous.

Yes, I understand that frustration can drive one to take a "hard line" towards combatants, but must we sacrifice our own humanity to address it?
    You know who sacrifices their humanity? People who collude with their own would-be murderers. If we had a law that said no more free trauma care for them until they cooperate, that would be re-affirming their humanity and ours.

Of course I'm not seriously suggesting that such a law would ever be passed, but not because it isn't a good idea.
    Last edited by OffenseTaken; 06-01-2012 at 08:37 PM. Reason: sp.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiki View Post
    I always smirk when there are reports of a shooting happening at a "known drug corner."

How ineffective is the police department in this city when there are such things?

There's a bar at the corner of 8th and Jackson so it isn't surprising a shooting taking place there.
    They will make arrests and than there will be new people working it the next day. It goes on and on until the area gets better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiki View Post
    Does T-Bar's really attract that kind of crowd? Always felt more old school South Philly to me, though they do sell takeout to a very diverse clientele.

The 700 block of Jackson is just sketchy overall but I never felt it in T-Bars.

Actually looked around that area when I was in the process of buying a house. I decided I didn't want to live in a neighborhood that was still waiting to transition.

That area is one of the last holdouts in S. Philly east of Broad. Unfortunately, I don't see any sign of it turning soon. The halo effect from Passyunk Square seems to have moved westward, not east.

9th & Jackson sure looked like a drug corner tonight.

Just for my own info, could you please relate your observations, that make it a drug corner.
    "We do sincerely hope you all enjoy the show, and please remember people, that no matter who you are and what you do to live, thrive and survive, there are still some things that make us all the same. You, me, them, everybody, everybody!"