Register

Default Presidential elections

There needs to be some new laws enacted or something done to shorten the length of these ridiculous, and overly long and expensive campaigns. This one is 21 months. The Empire State Building went up in less time!

Quote Originally Posted by Hospitalitygirl View Post
    There needs to be some new laws enacted or something done to shorten the length of these ridiculous, and overly long and expensive campaigns. This one is 21 months. The Empire State Building went up in less time!

I like how they do it in Britain, a vote of no confidence then bang the election. Of course we would have to tweak the constitution a tad to get there. I think one of the ways we could shorten it though is to shorten the primary season and start it later and end it closer to the general. Have more super tuesdays and things of that nature.

Quote Originally Posted by five apples View Post
    I like how they do it in Britain, a vote of no confidence then bang the election. Of course we would have to tweak the constitution a tad to get there. I think one of the ways we could shorten it though is to shorten the primary season and start it later and end it closer to the general. Have more super tuesdays and things of that nature.
    Works for me! 21 months is ENTIRELY TOO LONG. Why? Why do we need this?

The thing that made this one seem so exceptionally long was that the candidates were not decided at the usual early date. The last few years the race has been pretty much over after South Carolina. Hillary fought to the bitter which ended dragging the process out. I actually like the fact that for once I had a say in the democratic candidate.

Will Work for Food, But Prefers Cash MarketStEl's Avatar
    East Germantown rocks! But watch your back.

Count me in with five apples here.

One of the things I liked about this marathon is that every state, every vote, mattered. The reason all the states began rushing to have their primaries around the time of New Hampshire's is because in most of them -- including many large ones like ours -- it was All Over by the time their turn came.

But this may have more to do with the Democrats' rules than anything else. When delegates are not awarded on a winner-take-all basis, you have to change your strategy and go for every delegate rather than just focus on a bunch of early wins. Note that the Republican nomination was All Over by the time the Primary Roadshow hit Pennsylvania.

But I think people like to matter. The process may have been long, but look how many more people took interest in it! An all-time record number of Americans voted in this election (although from what I understand, the growth in this number pretty much mirrored the growth of the American population). If we could figure out a way to condense this sort of process into three months, fine, but until we do, I'll take this long march over the alternative.
    Sandy Smith, Wanderer in Germantown, Philadelphia
    Editor-in-Chief, Philly Living Blog - but all opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone.
    ""Jazz and blogging are both intimate, improvisational, and individual -- but also inherently collective. And the audience talks over both." --Andrew Sullivan, "Why I Blog," The Atlantic, November 2008

Quote Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
    If we could figure out a way to condense this sort of process into three months, fine, but until we do, I'll take this long march over the alternative.
    Which you really can't "force" unless the feds start legislating how the states run their federal primaries.