* PBC Rowhouse Red
    * Victory Braumeister Pilsner
    * Yards Philly Pale
    * Post Road Pumpkin Ale
    * Hook & Ladder Backdraft Brown Ale
    * Sly Fox O’Reilly’s Stout
    * Allagash White
    * Yards ESA (on hand pump)

We also got a peek at Pasquarello’s opening menu, a portion of which will rotate regularly. Highlights:

* Steamed PEI mussels with ale, shallots and thyme
    * Hoisin BBQ wings with daikon radish sticks
    * Ranchero wings (spicy Mexican sauce, jicama sticks, green goddess dressing)
    * House-made hummus with black olives, dolmas, grape leaves and pita
    * Beer-battered green beans
    * Butter lettuce salad with creamy Maytag blue cheese, bacon crumbles and roasted peppers
    * Pulled pork sandwich with ale-infused BBQ sauce and cole slaw
    * Daily burger, flat bread and grilled cheese specials
    * Grilled marinated vegetable sandwich on sourdough with sun-dried tomato spread and basil aioli
    * Roasted half chicken with herb-seasoned root vegetables and orange rosemary sauce
    * Steak frites (flank steak, house-cut fries, mushroom madeira butter)
    * Pan-seared crab and shrimp cakes with house-cut fries, bar slaw and jalapeno tartar sauce
    * Golden macaroni and cheese with side salad
    * Daily fresh fish/seafood special
    Meal Ticket :: Blog Archive :: FIRST LOOK: Prohibition Taproom :: Philadelphia City Paper :: Philadelphia Arts, Restaurants, Music, Movies, Jobs, Classifieds, Blogs

Looks like an interesting list. In the area between NoLibs and Old City?

Very cool....glad to see a former dump turned into something nice!

Its on 13th, just before Spring Garden. (Buttonwood I think)

Quote Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
    Very cool....glad to see a former dump turned into something nice!

Its on 13th, just before Spring Garden. (Buttonwood I think)
    I wish them good luck but it will be hard to get customers there. It is a no man land surrounded by some bad areas. In less the hipsters have started moving in then that changes everything.

Quote Originally Posted by five apples View Post
    I wish them good luck but it will be hard to get customers there. It is a no man land surrounded by some bad areas. In less the hipsters have started moving in then that changes everything.
    Units in the loft district are too expensive for hipsters unfortunately. (even tho the area is still a dump)

Quote Originally Posted by Hospitalitygirl View Post
    Looks like an interesting list. In the area between NoLibs and Old City?
    no, it's in the loft district.
    malloy-the area to the north of sprng garden seems to be changing, albeit slowly. there's the institute at 12th and green, spring arts, some infill, and and a fair amount of rehabs. even that abandoned building at 13th and mount vernon got bought. we'll see if the infamous cdc can stifle growth though. still, the taproom is a bad location IMO. if it were on spring garden with root, siam lotus, sazon, etc someone might notice. They've got their work cut out for them. still, the food sounds like it's worth a trip. I've always had good experiences at cafe lift.

Ah, only if Zur was here right now.

I have always been kind of intrigued by that area. It is unattractive and expensive. Do places there actually get sold? I remember reading an article years ago about that area that seemed to indicate that most of the people who lived there spent no time there. That they just liked the space and didn't particularly care about the actual area.

Administrator

I gotta make it over to this place! Thx for posting.

Prohibition Taproom
    501 N. 13th St., 215-238-1818, theprohibitiontaproom.com

ADVERTISEMENT
    This real looker of a pub, from Café Lift owners Michael Pasquarello and Jeniphur Whitleigh, opened to the public this past Sat., Nov. 1. Located in the spot that was briefly called Maker's Local and then Canavan's, Prohibition rocks a subtle, fun speakeasy feel augmented by great craft beers on draught (Post Road Pumpkin Ale, Victory Braumeister Pilsner, PBC Rowhouse Red) and Pasquarello's fresh/local-driven menu, a portion of which will rotate regularly. Current highlights include a pulled pork sandwich with ale-infused barbecue sauce; a roasted half-chicken with herb-seasoned veggies and orange rosemary sauce; and pan-seared crab and shrimp cakes served with house-cut fries, slaw and jalapeño tartar sauce. The Taproom's open daily from 4 p.m. till close. (Check out pictures and more details over on Meal Ticket.)
    Feeding Frenzy :: Food :: Philadelphia City Paper :: Philadelphia Arts, Restaurants, Music, Movies, Jobs, Classifieds, Blogs

popped in for a beer. it seems they were pretty smart. the changes were all cosmetic so I doubt they're in very deep (financially). it has a nice feel to it (the bar that canavan's put in was nice to begin with). menu looks tasty. The only downside is that there's no flat screen for games.
    Last edited by eldondre; 11-05-2008 at 10:07 PM.

so I returned this weekend. It was about half full, maybe more, definitely more people than I'd ever seen in canavan's. I had the slow roasted pork sandwich. The pork itself was pretty good (not sweet lucy's good, but tasty nonetheless) but I'm not a big fan of the ciabatta roll which just didn't seem appropriate. It appeared they use it for the burger as well. Hopefully they switch to potato or a round roll At any rate, the fries were excellent. I'll probably return to try the steak frite or mussels in wine sauce.

Default Review

Rick Nichols gave this place a really nice review. I think I actually prefer him to LaBan by the way. But that is another discussion.

Just three little letters | Philadelphia Inquirer | 11/16/2008

Nice. I need to get over there...sounds like my kinda place. How does Cafe Lift do? Do they stay busy?

This place has been a number of things over the years. Most recently it had a short stint as canavan's and maker's local, two ill-fated establishments whose main contribution is the gorgeoous bar now anchoring Prohibition Taproom. the owners of PT also own Cafe Lift down the street. Not surprisingly, they seriously upgraded the menu and the space which now feels comfortable and somewhat hip, and the chalkboards add a little tap feel. the giant Bar sign makes this place easy to find, a necessity in its out of the way location. Food is pretty good, though I don't appreciate the use of ciabatta rolls for the burgs and pulled pork sandwiches. I did have an excellent steak frites there for $15. Prices are typical, $4-$5 per pint.they had about ten taps and one beer engine (yards ESA) and no macros. Good jukebox to boot. It's not a groundbreaking place but certainly an excellent addition and worth a stop if you happen to be in the neighborhood.

city paper reviews although
    Root, a nearby bistro, recently closed after only four months, Lift is still going strong after five and a half years. The neighborhood now boasts a recently opened bar called The Institute, as well as Pasquarello and Whitleigh's own new pub, Prohibition Taproom.
    I'd take issue with lumping the institute in the loft district, most of the lofts stop at spring garden, the Institute is a neighborhood of rowhomes, vacant lots, and abandoned buildings that are small scale (as opposed to the former warehouses south of market). anyways, small quibble
    Take the addictive fried green beans. If these things had been around at the time of Prohibition, Congress probably would've banned them, too. The kitchen skips blanching, dipping fresh raw veggies into a pasty cayenne-spiked beer batter before frying. Served with a garlic aioli, the beans are cocooned in a savory shell, but the crisp, garden-fresh bite is persuasive at convincing you that you're eating healthy.

Other dishes also show personality. The pub burger, cooked to a textbook medium, sat next to a heaping mound of perfectly cooked thin-cut fries, a refreshing change from the fossilized spuds that are so often the norm in the city. The real star of this plate, though, was the cowboy onion, a thick Vidalia slice that had been wrapped in bacon while roasting. The Sly Fox O'Reilly's Stout added to Henry's French onion soup struck chords in a deeper register, giving this sweet bowl a dry, soulful finish. I liked the balance the hoisin barbecue sauce delivered to the mammoth wings. By design, roasted beets with baby arugula, goat cheese and slivered almonds was also a winner. ..With some dishes, though, the kitchen could do better. Thanks in part to cumin, coriander and pimentón (Spanish smoked paprika), I noted a savory subtlety in the pulled pork sandwich. But its too-sweet ale-infused barbecue slather lacked the finesse achieved elsewhere. In addition to being slightly overcooked, the steamed PEI mussels needed more flavor. Though I appreciated the idea of mixing cheddar, gruyere and mozzarella, the mac 'n' cheese was too salty. And while the pots de crème's creamy coffee flavor was approachable, the dish lacked the density you expect from this traditional custard.
    Temper, Temper :: Food :: Philadelphia City Paper :: Philadelphia Arts, Restaurants, Music, Movies, Jobs, Classifieds, Blogs

I go to Cafe Lift and I can attest although you can usually always get a seat on the weekends, it's really pretty crowded. The food is stellar--the service could be better but it's not bad. I'm always shocked at the level of attractive people in there. (As I'm always on the search for the pretty men, you know.)

I now prefer their food over Honey's and Hinge in Port Richmond.

I really want to try out Prohibition--didn't know it was the owners of Cafe Lift and I'd give any of their efforts a try. Maybe for a change of venue for my usual Johnny Brenda's Friday HH.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I now prefer their food over Honey's and Hinge in Port Richmond.
    Wow, we need to give it a try. I might ugly up the place a bit, but its all good. My money is green too, dammit.

There are many ethnicities that I want to bang but don't want to live around. Most of them, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I really want to try out Prohibition--didn't know it was the owners of Cafe Lift and I'd give any of their efforts a try. Maybe for a change of venue for my usual Johnny Brenda's Friday HH.
    Told ya you shoulda stopped by on NYE!

Couldn't picture where it was and besides, was too busy getting lost and spending NYE by myself (which happened...as my drunk friends were dispersed between the limo, puking outside the limo and another bar they thought was the one I was in. Good times.)

Perhaps trying this place out tonight...friends, text me if you're planning on being there.

Tried this place out. Can't see going back unless I'm with a group of friends and the space and people don't matter. Walked in, walked out. Wished I didn't let the cab leave because it's kind of a terrible spot to catch a cab. Better certainly than the Institute and if I lived right around there, I'd certainly go but it's not competition for staying in Fishtown on low key nights or heading into CC for more excitement.

St. Stephen's Green is a far better interior IMO.