Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Planet Fitness coming to Ridge Ave in Roxborough

Planet Fitness' Path to the Ridge Paved - Roxborough-Manayunk, PA Patch

What a great addition! I'm stoked. Great re-use of the property!

I bet they decided to move there because of the improved walkable Ridge project

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry19127 View Post

i always thought I'd like planet fitness. Turns out that when I work the weights hard I make some noise. Apparently this means I am not welcome. They claim to be "no judgement" but it seems to me they judge people who push themselves.

The Lunk Alarm that Planet Fitness invented and uses is the "New Coke" business decision of the fitness industry.

Quote Originally Posted by toxigal View Post
    i always thought I'd like planet fitness. Turns out that when I work the weights hard I make some noise. Apparently this means I am not welcome. They claim to be "no judgement" but it seems to me they judge people who push themselves.
    I hear friends in Fishtown that frequent the Fishtown PF complain about this, Pizza Thursdays (or whatever it is) and other stupid rules/obnoxious users. But still go because it's sooooo cheap. I'm with you--I don't think I would join it.
    Licensed Pennsylvania Real Estate Salesperson and inactive and happily non-practicing Attorney, CITYSPACE
    www.freshquarters.com

Maybe PF is not your cup of tea. So what? I've never even been in one.

But it's nice to have options, and that area is lacking them. Plus, do you like abandoned properties? PF on Ridge is a positive thing.

I don't know that anyone is disagreeing with you.
    Licensed Pennsylvania Real Estate Salesperson and inactive and happily non-practicing Attorney, CITYSPACE
    www.freshquarters.com

It looked like it was turning in to a bash Planet Fitness thread. Maybe not?

Moving on then...

Well bashing it and saying someone is opposed to it opening and that they'd prefer a vacant building instead are very different things.

I'm not going to join it but that's not to say it won't be packed. It will be. Even BY the people bashing it.
    www.freshquarters.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I'm not going to join it but that's not to say it won't be packed. It will be. Even BY the people bashing it.
    True!

$10/month + 24 hour access is hard to say no to. I'll wait to hear more (plus I want to see what classes they offer). But regardless of whether or not I join, I hope it thrives.

Quote Originally Posted by übercraft
    The Lunk Alarm that Planet Fitness invented and uses is the "New Coke" business decision of the fitness industry.
    what i find interesting is that when i first started working out and was pretty out of shape, i didn't "grunt" (though what i do isn't exactly grunting it is a vocalization that occurs towards the end of a set with heavy weights). Now that I'm in better shape and really push myself with heavier weights i do so more often. so for me, success at getting in shape would equal getting kicked out of the health club!

Quote Originally Posted by Naveen View Post
    Maybe PF is not your cup of tea. So what? I've never even been in one.

But it's nice to have options, and that area is lacking them. Plus, do you like abandoned properties? PF on Ridge is a positive thing.
    it sucks that they call people "lunks" and kick them out. the price is awesome so I wish they weren't so discriminatory. and i think they are hypocrites for having this rule while calling themselves a "no judgement zone".

not sure how thinking they suck = liking abandoned properties.

True!

$10/month + 24 hour access is hard to say no to. I'll wait to hear more (plus I want to see what classes they offer). But regardless of whether or not I join, I hope it thrives.
    planet fitness does not have classes (at least not the ones I've visited. yes, i visit them because i do secret shopping and get paid to do so

At $10 a month, I will join just to be able to work out in off hours along with my other gym membership. I cant see how this place can be any worse than LA fitness which is typically overfilled with members especially during peak hours.

Quite honestly there isn't a decent gym in the area. I belong to Sweat and have been less than satisfied the entire 10 years but there isn't anything better. Over this time I have tried most other gyms in the area (EF fitness, LA Fitness and the Y) with the exception of the Aquatic club and the place off of Umbria, they kind of suck or were grossly over crowded during peak hours. Not advocating Sweat but it's basically the tallest midget around here.

The monthly cost is cheap and assuming there is parking, I could care less about the rules because they are more of a nuisance than the way. The equipment appears to be Life fitness which is pretty top quality for the industry, no corners cut there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry19127 View Post

This is huuuge for Ridge Ave in Roxborough. It also fills in a huge gap that needed filling.

It's anchor projects like this one that really bring commercial corridors to life.
    Timothy M. Garrity | Co-Founder, COO, Broker of Record
    REALTOR, ABR, e-PRO, SRS
    Copper Hill Real Estate | tim@timothygarrity.com - TimothyGarrity.com
    Specializing in NW Philadelphia Real Estate - Roxborough | Manayunk | East Falls | Chestnut Hill | Mount Airy

Just a heads up that, like many of these companies, canceling is a pain in the butt.

With Planet Fitness you have to send a letter to the headquarters in Colorado saying you want to cancel.

Its one of the only major issues that people have with the company(No where on the site does it tell you how to op-out or cancel your membership).
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

This is great news for Rox!
    Like PS on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucho View Post
    At $10 a month, I will join just to be able to work out in off hours along with my other gym membership.
    I thought the same thing. My only other question is whether or not that membership can be used at other PF's, but it's a small point since I have a regional LA Fitness membership.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucho View Post
    At $10 a month, I will join just to be able to work out in off hours along with my other gym membership. I cant see how this place can be any worse than LA fitness which is typically overfilled with members especially during peak hours.

Quite honestly there isn't a decent gym in the area. I belong to Sweat and have been less than satisfied the entire 10 years but there isn't anything better. Over this time I have tried most other gyms in the area (EF fitness, LA Fitness and the Y) with the exception of the Aquatic club and the place off of Umbria, they kind of suck or were grossly over crowded during peak hours. Not advocating Sweat but it's basically the tallest midget around here.

The monthly cost is cheap and assuming there is parking, I could care less about the rules because they are more of a nuisance than the way. The equipment appears to be Life fitness which is pretty top quality for the industry, no corners cut there.
    You're skipping Germantown Cricket Club. The gym / fitness center is a bit of an afterthought, but the pool and squash and grass tennis and bowling are all cool. So are the social events, especially the opening party for squash, the closing party for the swim club, and the Holly Ball. My wife has been going to GCC's gym alot recently and it's been working out for her. Whenever I go there it seems there are three or so people using the gym. That's not alot, but it's a small gym.

I thought the same thing. My only other question is whether or not that membership can be used at other PF's, but it's a small point since I have a regional LA Fitness membership.
    10 dollars is just for that 1 PF, but they do have a "special" that they'll have before they open that you can get the "black membership" for 20/m and you can go to ANY of the PF in Philly, and you can bring a guest at the one you sign up at.

Get The PF Black Card!
    No Initiation Fee!
    Only $19.99 per month
    Plus applicable taxes.Billed monthly to a checking account or credit card. Rate Guarantee Fee of $39.00 will be billed on or shortly after June 1st. State and local restrictions on tanning frequency apply.

Here’s what you get for no additional charge:

Reciprocal use of all Planet Fitness® Franchise Locations
    Unlimited guest privileges
    Unlimited tanning
    Unlimited red light therapy
    Unlimited use of massage chairs
    1/2 Price cooler drinks
    PF Black™ Card key tag
    Unlimited fitness training

Offer expires February 24th!
    Don't worry about expiration date, when the Rox PF has a page on their site, they'll have another "sale"
    Last edited by mixiboi; 02-06-2012 at 04:50 PM.
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

Hmm, ok. How do I use the GCC gym? Or pool?

Quote Originally Posted by billy ross View Post
    You're skipping Germantown Cricket Club. The gym / fitness center is a bit of an afterthought, but the pool and squash and grass tennis and bowling are all cool. So are the social events, especially the opening party for squash, the closing party for the swim club, and the Holly Ball. My wife has been going to GCC's gym alot recently and it's been working out for her. Whenever I go there it seems there are three or so people using the gym. That's not alot, but it's a small gym.
    Like PS on Facebook!