Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 76
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fishtown
    Posts
    6,576

    Default Farmer's Cabinet Crew to take over 600 Spring Garden

    Is there really not a board for this neighborhood? Oh well.

    More positive news for Spring Garden St.The former Transit et al. spot. Downstairs will be a tiki bar, ground floor TBD. I'm unsure if I'm happy the tiki bar trend is hitting Philly though I suppose it was inevitable. If anyone will do it right, though, it's Phoebe Esmon and Christian Gaal.

    Philly to get its tiki bar | Philadelphia City Paper | 12/30/2011

  2. #2
    Junior Old Fart Jayfar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    G-Who?
    Posts
    6,081

    Default

    Does that mean they're going to abandon their lease at Farmer's Cabinet and sneak everything out in the middle of the night, as they did with Fork & Barrel when they were opening Farmer's Cabinet?

    » A Fork & Barrel Update: Closed, Indeed Foobooz Philadelphia

    An Update to the Update: Yesterday afternoon, Mark Sherman — the East Falls developer who owns the Fork & Barrel bricks — got in touch with Foobooz, contending that the F&B owners left suddenly and without warning or, as Sherman put it, “tearing out in the middle of the night.” He says he intends to take legal action. Swartz has not responded to an interview request. Guess we’ll let you guys sort it out in court.
    “Guys like you I would dispatch with my roofing axe.” -- BootsywannabeACretin

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fishtown
    Posts
    6,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
    Does that mean they're going to abandon their lease at Farmer's Cabinet and sneak everything out in the middle of the night, as they did with Fork & Barrel when they were opening Farmer's Cabinet?
    Haha that was my first thought too. The owners do have a sketchy past. My only hope is that if Phoebe and Christian are working with them and are apparently committed, they must have upped their credibility... I hope.

  4. #4
    Philly Remixed mixiboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawncrest
    Posts
    10,910

    Default

    Planned: Philly's 'largest beer hall' | Philadelphia Inquirer | 12/31/2011

    The main floor, with its three-story-high ceiling, will be transformed into what they say will be the city's largest a beer hall, a beast featuring more than 85 taps.
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia and NYC
    Posts
    1,755

    Default

    I guess you can say this is Northern Liberties. NoLibs is river to 6th, Callowhill to Girard.

    And yes, this is awesome news. Now only if we can get rid of the Palmer Social Club, somebody will probably end up developing the 500 block quickly.

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    north philly
    Posts
    21,511

    Default

    looks like sg is finally developing. a couple more and spring garden and northern liberties will finally grow into each other. palmer and church brew works east?
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    South Broad (SoBro)
    Posts
    432

    Default

    my gut (far from an exact science) has a bad feeling about this one. since when did Philadelphians, especially those who hang out near this neighborhood want their bars so large? These guys couldn't get a good food review on Farmer's Cabinet, can they manage the food situation at a place so big, where a lot of city folk who are used to our small BYOBs and restaurants are going to be tough sells to begin with.

  8. #8
    Philly Remixed mixiboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lawncrest
    Posts
    10,910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eldondre View Post
    looks like sg is finally developing. a couple more and spring garden and northern liberties will finally grow into each other. palmer and church brew works east?
    Bleak streets no more: Loft District seeing the light | Philadelphia Inquirer | 01/01/2012

    The darkened industrial area of the so-called "Eraserhood" just north of Chinatown - where the cult film Eraserhead's director lived while studying at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts - is getting brighter every day.

    With talk of turning the Reading Viaduct's weed-cloaked tracks into a tony park not unlike New York's High Line, bars, restaurants and arts enterprises have opened in the once-bleak region, known as the Loft District, between Eighth Street and Broad, Spring Garden and Vine.

    The former Spaghetti Warehouse at 10th and Spring Garden is now the Union Transfer music venue. Vox Populi Gallery moved into the 300 block of North 11th Street. The once-shuttered tombstone showroom on North 12th first became Philly producer Diplo's offices, then the Philadelphia Mausoleum of Contemporary Art (PhilaMOCA). Nearby, Prohibition Taproom on North 13th is a snazzy neighborhood watering hole.

    "You can feel the history here - what it must have been like before the [Vine] Expressway, and 100 years before that, when the area was a vibrant, rough-and-tumble working-class area known for manufacturing," says Ian Cross. "There used to be a circus and a brewery yards away. I love neighborhoods that don't quite make sense."
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    north philly
    Posts
    21,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
    I guess you can say this is Northern Liberties. NoLibs is river to 6th, Callowhill to Girard.

    And yes, this is awesome news. Now only if we can get rid of the Palmer Social Club, somebody will probably end up developing the 500 block quickly.
    to the best of my knowledge, the answer to where anything is is a matter of "when." at one point, the northern liberties comprised most of north philly and kensington including spring garden. later, spring garden district was formed out of those northern liberties in an area from vine to poplar, roughly 6th to the park while northern liberties township was formed in the east. 5th st was once old york road and spring garden street ended around old york road, east of which was dense city blocks.
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by y.lama View Post
    my gut (far from an exact science) has a bad feeling about this one. since when did Philadelphians, especially those who hang out near this neighborhood want their bars so large? These guys couldn't get a good food review on Farmer's Cabinet, can they manage the food situation at a place so big, where a lot of city folk who are used to our small BYOBs and restaurants are going to be tough sells to begin with.
    You're right. Multiple themes, horrible track record, obscure location and high rent.

  11. #11
    Senior Member loveisnoise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Mom's, the studio, or your mom's bed.
    Posts
    11,730

    Default

    When did any restraunteur focusing on a bar ever live up to any promises about food?!

    As for wanting to hang out in bars so large? It is obvious what they're going after. This will be nothing more than a extension of McFadden's on 3rd and Spring Garden, and the other sh&t show, Buckhead Saloon, on 3rd-which claims to be a pizza bar! hahahahaha

    Quote Originally Posted by y.lama View Post
    my gut (far from an exact science) has a bad feeling about this one. since when did Philadelphians, especially those who hang out near this neighborhood want their bars so large? These guys couldn't get a good food review on Farmer's Cabinet, can they manage the food situation at a place so big, where a lot of city folk who are used to our small BYOBs and restaurants are going to be tough sells to begin with.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fishtown
    Posts
    6,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by y.lama View Post
    my gut (far from an exact science) has a bad feeling about this one. since when did Philadelphians, especially those who hang out near this neighborhood want their bars so large? These guys couldn't get a good food review on Farmer's Cabinet, can they manage the food situation at a place so big, where a lot of city folk who are used to our small BYOBs and restaurants are going to be tough sells to begin with.
    Frankford Hall, Brauhaus Schmitz, come on beer concepts in Philly are big these days. Food doesn't matter at FC, atmosphere and bar are top notch.

    Quote Originally Posted by loveisnoise View Post
    When did any restraunteur focusing on a bar ever live up to any promises about food?!

    As for wanting to hang out in bars so large? It is obvious what they're going after. This will be nothing more than a extension of McFadden's on 3rd and Spring Garden, and the other sh&t show, Buckhead Saloon, on 3rd-which claims to be a pizza bar! hahahahaha
    eh 85 taps and the finally-hits-philly trendy tikibar concept make it sound a lot more like a Silk City extension that McFaddens.

    Quote Originally Posted by MTEMPLE View Post
    You're right. Multiple themes, horrible track record, obscure location and high rent.
    Track record is bad for business but quality has always been good. Given the ultra-rare beers they get at FC and the fact that the city's top two bartenders are working the tendy tiki concept, hype and quality should keep this place afloat for a little while. I agree about some of the other things working against them, and it could catch up with them, but again Silk City is one block away and Spring Garden is becoming more of a non-ghetto destination, this place could very end up as anchor (if they pay their rent). We'll see, in the meantime I'll enjoy it I'm sure.
    Last edited by BarryG; 01-02-2012 at 09:36 AM.

  13. #13

  14. #14
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    north philly
    Posts
    21,511

    Default

    I'm guessing this is where they will brew the beer for farmer's cabinet as well. farmer's cabinet is great bar, with high prices, and a legit brewer...with mediocre food. so what? beer hall food is something else entirely.
    The third floor will be utilized as an in-house brewery/distillery.
    Read more: Planned: Philly's 'largest beer hall' | Philadelphia Inquirer | 12/31/2011

    people said union transfer was only going to be a giant drinker's...fishtown got deals and spring garden got one of the better music venues in town
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fishtown
    Posts
    6,576

    Default

    Are you upset it's not farther west? Farmer's Cabinet is a successful with bar with one of the most unique beer lists in the country and some of the best cocktails in town. Laban gave Del Frisco's zero bells and it's busy with people dropping Gs all the time.

    BTW chef at FC has since changed... only tried a couple bar items when he just started though and it was still pretty mediocre.
    Last edited by BarryG; 01-02-2012 at 11:17 AM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BarryG View Post
    Are you upset it's not farther west? Farmer's Cabinet is a successful with bar with one of the most unique beer lists in the country and some of the best cocktails in town. Laban gave Del Frisco's zero bells and it's busy with people dropping Gs all the time.
    LOL, I'm not upset at all.

  17. #17
    Senior Member loveisnoise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Mom's, the studio, or your mom's bed.
    Posts
    11,730

    Default

    Silk City is about as much of a beer garden as my boxers are a g-string. Silk City is known for its food, and their beer garden is merely a catchy name for an outdoor eatery; in fact, it was voted as the best outdoor eating experience-not drinking experience.

    If an inordinate number of taps makes a beer garden, then I guess Irish Pol in Center City is one.

    Either way, a Tiki Bar with pan asian food and 85 beers and southern barbecue and a brewery sounds similar to the same overblown foodie b.s. that was used to open Cebu before it became the biggest sh&t show in old city. The Bank/Transit location has zero resemblence to anything other than a nightclub or Apple Store-which I have heard from several sources that they have shown interest in the property.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fishtown
    Posts
    6,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loveisnoise View Post
    Silk City is about as much of a beer garden as my boxers are a g-string. Silk City is known for its food, and their beer garden is merely a catchy name for an outdoor eatery; in fact, it was voted as the best outdoor eating experience-not drinking experience.

    If an inordinate number of taps makes a beer garden, then I guess Irish Pol in Center City is one.

    Either way, a Tiki Bar with pan asian food and 85 beers and southern barbecue and a brewery sounds similar to the same overblown foodie b.s. that was used to open Cebu before it became the biggest sh&t show in old city. The Bank/Transit location has zero resemblence to anything other than a nightclub or Apple Store-which I have heard from several sources that they have shown interest in the property.
    You know Silk City is a nightclub too right?

  19. #19
    Senior Member loveisnoise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Mom's, the studio, or your mom's bed.
    Posts
    11,730

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BarryG View Post
    You know Silk City is a nightclub too right?
    Ummmm, errrr, uhhhh, since I've been going since its inception and have known each and every owner and had to once stab a pcp'd out honkey during a death metal show in the lounge-yeah, I heard that some lesser qualified folks call it a 'nightclub'...huh?

    Not a nightclub. Lounge. A nightclub would be transit, bank, palmer-not a place that can, at max, have 20-30 people dance. Uberlounge, maybe. Nightclub?! Not quite.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Fishtown
    Posts
    6,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loveisnoise View Post
    Ummmm, errrr, uhhhh, since I've been going since its inception and have known each and every owner and had to once stab a pcp'd out honkey during a death metal show in the lounge-yeah, I heard that some lesser qualified folks call it a 'nightclub'...huh?

    Not a nightclub. Lounge. A nightclub would be transit, bank, palmer-not a place that can, at max, have 20-30 people dance. Uberlounge, maybe. Nightclub?! Not quite.
    And "uberlounge" is a catchy name for a ridiculously loud concert and DJ venue that charges cover. Ridiculous semantics, and a pointless debate. Call it whatever you want, it's obvious that this place is going for the Silk City/Union Trust/Barbary crowd, not McFadden's. Not that it matters anyway, as long as it's not going for the Palmer Social Club crowd, this will be a quality addition to Spring Garden--if they can stay in business.

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •