Register
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default Greater St. Matthews church sold

A developer told me Toll Brothers bought it for offices.

Quote Originally Posted by lee View Post
    You sure he didn't say Wegman's?
    Laura Blanchard
    lb_philly@yahoo.com

[The "ignore" feature from your control panel is a great way to improve the civility of discourse on this bulletin board]

Quote Originally Posted by lbphilly View Post
    You sure he didn't say Wegman's?
    i figured it would be a giant starbucks.
    "If you're going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh; otherwise they'll kill you."
    - attributed to both George Bernard Shaw & Oscar Wilde

"I never clean up after my dogs, because I have trained them to run with me off leash while I ride my bike the wrong way on the sidewalk."
    - LUCas
    Originally Posted by Dave L We need to focus on banning both singers who crap on the sidewalk and dogs that annoy people with their singing. - Mondo

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    i figured it would be a giant starbucks.
    I heard it was a co-op founded by UHURU and Weaver's Way.
    Like PS on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by lee View Post
    so are we thinking Toll is going to do a glorious condo conversion (HA!) or will they just tear it down and build some faux-colonial townhouses? does the church have any kind of historic designation that would prevent it from being demolished? i checked their website but didn't see anything.

That's unfortunate. St. Matthews is a great community and their worship is very vivacious! They also do a fair amount of community outreach which is important. I attended one of their services recently, and it was, unfortunately, very sparsely attended and mostly only by older women. I guess that is a product of neighborhood gentrification...They will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by ler55 View Post
    That's unfortunate. St. Matthews is a great community and their worship is very vivacious! They also do a fair amount of community outreach which is important. I attended one of their services recently, and it was, unfortunately, very sparsely attended and mostly only by older women. I guess that is a product of neighborhood gentrification...They will be missed.
    Let's all agree to just ignore this (accidental) flamebait, mmmkay?

The church would make a killer daycare space (and would not lack for clients), but I'm guessing the space costs too much for that.

It would make a killer daycare space for all the parents in our neighborhood (including me), but what about the 30-40 cars that will stop in front of the church for 20 minitues, twice a day. Neighbors have a huge problem with the 'sparse' congregants parking on Sundays; the parking problems created by a daycare or a music venue or almost any large commercial use would be significantly worse. St. Matts (formerly St. Anthonys) is a huge, awesome building with zero parking. I just don't know how any large commercial business is viable there without parking.

My understanding is that Toll Brothers will renovate the building and use it as offices, not condos, at least until the new development is finished. The offices now are located in one of the small free-standing yellow buildings (officer's home?), and I imagine the company wants to sell the space.

that would be one killer restaurant space, but way too big for them to maintain

It would also make an awesome church! Wish that someone had bought it for that purpose.
    "If you're going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh; otherwise they'll kill you."

"I never clean up after my dogs, because I have trained them to run with me off leash while I ride my bike the wrong way on the sidewalk."
    - LUCas
    Originally Posted by Dave L We need to focus on banning both singers who crap on the sidewalk and dogs that annoy people with their singing. - Mondo

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    It would also make an awesome church! Wish that someone had bought it for that purpose.
    I'd rather have some tax dollars for the city than another tax exempt organizations

That. Is. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankStar View Post
    That. Is. Awesome.
    couldn't agree more.

- LUCas

sniff.... used to live in pgh and always enjoyed that place

Toll Brothers did not buy the Church.

Thanks B/E ........

I thought Toll would buy the place and install me as the leader............

Quote Originally Posted by ratt2581 View Post
    sniff.... used to live in pgh and always enjoyed that place
    damn!!!!! temple to beer