Register
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Well this is a first...

...for this hour.
    If you believe people should work till they die to pay for a government worker to retire at 50, you're a Democrat. Otherwise, you're a Republican. All other differences between the parties are trivial.

I lived in the area for 2 years and in my opinion that kid was nuts to live on that particular block. It's a complete ****hole with barely any students. The fact that he hung out on the block outside at 2am with a gun tells me he is probably a nutjob that really wanted to shoot someone. He probably had been waiting his whole life for the opportunity.

Newsflash Temple students: these kids out here are not playing around, if they want your money hand it over. It's not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodman View Post
    I lived in the area for 2 years and in my opinion that kid was nuts to live on that particular block. It's a complete ****hole with barely any students. The fact that he hung out on the block outside at 2am with a gun tells me he is probably a nutjob that really wanted to shoot someone. He probably had been waiting his whole life for the opportunity.

Newsflash Temple students: these kids out here are not playing around, if they want your money hand it over. It's not worth it.
    It would appear that the Temple student was also "not playing around".

It's just a shame that he too took a bullet.

The fact that he hung out on the block outside at 2am with a gun tells me he is probably a nutjob that really wanted to shoot someone. He probably had been waiting his whole life for the opportunity.
    The guy was shot. He returned fire. He is a college student. He is a law abiding ctizen (we know this by the fact that he qualified for the permit). These are facts. I think it's pretty low to make some wild assumptions about a person who was critically injured by robbers because you may not agree with the politics surrounding the second amendment.

After the kid who got shot for his motorcycle, I don't blame this guy for being armed and ready in that hood.

Metro - Tension rises after North Philly gunfire

Sounds like the community is concerned for their safety as well. There are some real gems in this story-

“We’ve tried to have conversations with them, but these kids were basically on a racial tension thing,” said one resident who would only identify herself as Brenda, 50

“What was he doing sitting out here with a gun at two o’clock in the morning?” said Teandra Wilkins, 31

“My understanding is that once the boy shot [Eells], he ran off,” said Wilkins. “If he was running away, why shoot him more than once in the back? A license to carry doesn’t give you the right to shoot people when they are no longer a threat.”

“The neighborhood is overpopulated with students and it’s starting to affect the community,” block captain Brenda said

She plans to organize a protest against the perceived injustice.

“I’ve called Temple police more than three or four times in the past few weeks about [Eells’] house,” she said. “It’s like they heard me, but didn’t listen.”

Can't wait for this protest. Maybe they will get their wish and kick all of the Temple students out of the neighborhood and make their streets safe again so 15 year olds can rob unsuspecting victims at gunpoint at 2am without having to fear for their own safety.

this may be the most stupid post I have ever seen on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Sailor View Post

Sounds like the community is concerned for their safety as well. There are some real gems in this story-

“We’ve tried to have conversations with them, but these kids were basically on a racial tension thing,” said one resident who would only identify herself as Brenda, 50

“What was he doing sitting out here with a gun at two o’clock in the morning?” said Teandra Wilkins, 31

“My understanding is that once the boy shot [Eells], he ran off,” said Wilkins. “If he was running away, why shoot him more than once in the back? A license to carry doesn’t give you the right to shoot people when they are no longer a threat.”

“The neighborhood is overpopulated with students and it’s starting to affect the community,” block captain Brenda said

“I’ve called Temple police more than three or four times in the past few weeks about [Eells’] house,” she said. “It’s like they heard me, but didn’t listen.”

Can't wait for this protest. Maybe they will get their wish and kick all of the Temple students out of the neighborhood and make their streets safe again so 15 year olds can rob unsuspecting victims at gunpoint at 2am without having to fear for their own safety.
    Excuse me while my head explodes........**&*^*%&^%$

Ok, I'm done.

These people deserve to rot in the f*cking ghetto forever.

I'm sure the 15-y.o. was another honor student, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Burholme06 View Post
    The guy was shot. He returned fire. He is a college student. He is a law abiding ctizen (we know this by the fact that he qualified for the permit). These are facts. I think it's pretty low to make some wild assumptions about a person who was critically injured by robbers because you may not agree with the politics surrounding the second amendment.
    I feel bad for him and think he was right to shoot the kid. All I'm saying is he had to want to shoot somebody to put himself in that situation. Sane people don't hang out at 2300 12th with a gun at 2am.

Quote Originally Posted by Burholme06 View Post
    There could be many reasons why this man was living on this particular block. The most mundane reason is because it was the only place he could afford to rent. Other reasons could be that he fancies himself an "urban pioneer" and was the vanguard of future Temple students who may be living on this block in the future. Could be he was simply naive to the realities of that neighborhood. Still, it is wrong to blame the victim. The real question is, why is a fifteen year-old kid out at 1:45 AM and carrying a firearm no less?

The "economy" of that neighborhood will collapse if there are no more Temple students left to rob.

I feel bad for him and think he was right to shoot the kid. All I'm saying is he had to want to shoot somebody to put himself in that situation. Sane people don't hang out at 2300 12th with a gun at 2am.
    Mundane reason: He was out with friends too late and lost track of the time.

Members Only Jacket

Quote Originally Posted by smooth sailor View Post
    metro - tension rises after north philly gunfire

sounds like the community is concerned for their safety as well. There are some real gems in this story-

“we’ve tried to have conversations with them, but these kids were basically on a racial tension thing,” said one resident who would only identify herself as brenda, 50

“what was he doing sitting out here with a gun at two o’clock in the morning?” said teandra wilkins, 31

“my understanding is that once the boy shot [eells], he ran off,” said wilkins. “if he was running away, why shoot him more than once in the back? A license to carry doesn’t give you the right to shoot people when they are no longer a threat.”

“the neighborhood is overpopulated with students and it’s starting to affect the community,” block captain brenda said

she plans to organize a protest against the perceived injustice.

“i’ve called temple police more than three or four times in the past few weeks about [eells’] house,” she said. “it’s like they heard me, but didn’t listen.”

can't wait for this protest. Maybe they will get their wish and kick all of the temple students out of the neighborhood and make their streets safe again so 15 year olds can rob unsuspecting victims at gunpoint at 2am without having to fear for their own safety.
    wow

poor grad student MariusPontmercy's Avatar

I had to keep myself from vomiting there...

But then again, these reactions are about the same anytime something else controversial happens, so I'm not really surprised. If the cops shoot some kid, even if he was pointing a loaded gun at the police, you hear the same crap.

Temple cannot let these students down, because they're the ones capable of turning that area around. In 1997 a Penn student was killed at 40th and Walnut, the response from Penn was to aggressively seek to change the neighborhood the university is in to protect the students and improve the QOL for anyone in and around the university. Temple needs to do the same, and this really needs to serve as a wake up call.
    Last edited by MariusPontmercy; 09-06-2011 at 12:11 PM.
    "imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations hath diverse names" - Thomas Hobbes

Temple's crime rate seems to have really increased lately. There's nearly a weekly story about something going on.

Señor Member

Not my fault!

That is simply awesome.

With the attitudes expressed in the Metro article you get some little snapshot of WHY the cycle of crime and poverty exists in some neighborhoods. The ignorance is simply mind blowing.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusPontmercy View Post
    Temple cannot let these students down, because they're the ones capable of turning that area around. In 1997 a Penn student was killed at 40th and Walnut, the response from Penn was to aggressively seek to change the neighborhood the university is in to protect the students and improve the QOL for anyone in and around the university. Temple needs to do the same, and this really needs to serve as a wake up call.
    I completely agree. There are some good points made in the attached story, specifically the quote reading "Penn would only be as secure as the neighborhoods that surrounded it," which is something I don't believe Temple has quite figured out.

The Daily Pennsylvanian :: Last store standing

When you can only provide on-campus housing for freshmen and sophomores, you need to do something to improve the quality of life for upperclassmen who choose to live in the surrounding neighborhoods. The area south of campus is developing nicely, with the Edge, International House, Modules, etc., but north of Susquehanna is a scary place, with no development as far as I know. I still wouldn't advise any students to live at 12th and Dauphin, but with the lack of suitable housing options in the area, it's not completely unexpected.