Register
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Default Graffiti is ruining the neighborhood

Graffiti is ruining the neighborhood | BSCN | 06/24/2009

Interesting article about the increasing graffiti problem in the neighborhoods of Holme Circle, Mayfair, Fox Chase, Rhawnhurst, and Morrell Park.

Excellent article, but it isn't true that the self-adhesive labels are difficult to remove. On the contrary, they are the easiest. Get a can of Gumout Carb & Choke Spray. The active ingredient is acetone, a universal solvent. Saturate the label with the spray, the adhesive softens, and the label may easily be peeled or scraped.

Acetone is also useful in removing Magic Marker, Wite-Out, spray paint, and just about anything else these knuckleheads might use. These losers with all the talent of lobotomized retarded chimps would probably write in their own excrement if that is all they had on hand. Even serious graffiti "artists" deride these idiots as talentless "toys."

If you spot graffiti, remove it as soon as possible. Be persistent - the taggers are. For heavier damage, contact C.L.I.P. They are an excellent resource in removing this blight from our neighborhoods.

I've made it my personal mission to eradicate this blight. I didn't buy a home in the Northeast just so I can live in a ghetto. I didn't want to be one of those lazy losers who sat on his butt crying, "Oh gee, this used to be such a nice neighborhood" and did nothing to prevent its decline. When the really bad guys see a neighborhood blighted by graffiti they think, "The people around here don't care. Let's see what else we can get away with!" Pretty soon the place is crawling with thugs and you're afraid to walk to the store.

What are you going to do? Run away to the suburbs? Keep running and the crime will keep following you until you take a stand!

Lemko: does CLIP handle mailboxes? We have 8 tagged boxes in EF and the PO is dragging their feet. I just printed copies and I'm going to hand deliver them to the local postal office to see if that helps.

Welcome, Lemko, and keep up the good work!
    Competition is indispensable to progress. John Stuart Mills.

Quote Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
    Lemko: does CLIP handle mailboxes? We have 8 tagged boxes in EF and the PO is dragging their feet. I just printed copies and I'm going to hand deliver them to the local postal office to see if that helps.
    C.L.I.P. does big jobs, like some knucklehead tags the whole side of a building. To report graffiti damage to C.L.I.P., makes sure you have the exact address, the color of the graffiti damage, the type of graffiti damage, (paint, marker, etc). and the type and color of the damaged surface, (i.e. red brick, buff-colored cinder block, etc.).

For little stuff like mailboxes, you're on your own. If you wait for the postal service to fix it, you might as wait for the next ice age for a glacier to sweep it away.

To remove graffiti from mailboxes, take some Carb & Choke spray and some shop rags. There are also commercially available graffiti removers, but I don't find them as effective for heavier/older graffiti. Wear gloves, as postal blue is a soft paint and it will get messy. If necessary, use some fine steel wool for more stubborn graffiti. Then spray the affected area with some Duplicolor Royal Blue - a very close match to postal blue. This color is available at Auto Zone stores.

No.
    "No one wanted to be mayor of Philadelphia. It was a thankless job, which for the first 56 years offered an annual salary of zero. In 1745, two men turned down the position and instead accepted large fines. In 1747, Anthony Morris fled to Bucks County to hide and thus avoid notification of his election. After Morris’s disappearance, a new election was held, and William Atwood was re-elected."

Quote Originally Posted by lemko View Post
    ....There are also commercially available graffiti removers, but I don't find them as effective for heavier/older graffiti. ....
    GAT is quite effective at removing just about anything, labels, marker, grafitti, paint...etc.

If necessary, use some fine steel wool for more stubborn graffiti.
    Hey man, good to see you here!
    I haven't used steel wool yet, but I have a bunch of scotchbright style scouring pads that work pretty good. I think they are just a little less abrasive than steel wool, so they may give better results on surface finishes that you might be worried about ruining as you clean.
    I also take along a squirt bottle of water and a damp rag, just to wash away any remaining cleaning chemicals after the tag is gone.
    Oh yeh, and wear eye protection. I had one speck of cleaner hit my eye when I was looking up while cleaning a stop sign, and I'll tell you I was lucky I was only around the corner from my house so I could get home quick and wash it out! That hurt like hell!

People send me reports like this one:

"Planet Aid Clothes & shoes collection box right behind Chinese rest. on Hasbrook ave. (formally Stoxy's steaks) has "Dank" on it the box is a bright yellow Do you have any Yellow Paint , Clip won't be out there till next Wed thanks"

If anybody knows who this character "Dank" is, please let me know. This idiot has been tagging the Fox Chase neighborhood for at least three years.

I received an email today from a private citizen informing me of a graffiti-damaged Planet Aid clothing drop-off box at the rear of the Hunan Chinese Restaurant, (former site of Stoxy's Steaks) on the corner of Oxford and Hasbrook Avenues. When I got there around 4:30 today, there was a LOT more damage to the whole area bounded by Hasbrook Avenue to the west, Oxford Avenue to the east, Hartel Avenue to the south and Chandler Street to the north. The properties affected are:

7801-7801 Hasbrook Avenue - The Centre Court Apartments
    7834 Oxford Avenue - The Fox Chase Family Eye Care
    7803 Oxford Avenue - The Fox Chase Tire and Automotive Center
    7800 Oxford Avenue - apartment building on the corner of Oxford and Hartel

The graffiti damage reads like a "Who's Who" of neighborhood taggers. Among them are such luminaries as DANK, LEMON, TUNA, BRACE, and another unidentified loser whose tag sort of resembles an XR with a curve and the ubiquitous arrow. His tag is on everything!

I believe I encountered this particular loser on Wednesday, June 24th when I caught him tagging the mailbox on the corner of Cottman and Rising Sun next to the Crown Chicken restaurant. He got off the No. 18 SEPTA bus around 12:20 PM and he was pressed up against the mailbox scrawling on it with what appeared to be white shoe polish. I approached him and said, "What are you doing?" He feigns ignorance and says, "I ain't doin' nothin'!" "Bull****! That tag wasn't on there two seconds ago!" He then took off like a bat out of hell across Cottman Avenue almost getting hit by a green Honda Civic in the process. He ran toward the Burlholme train stop. This leads me to think he's some suburban puke. Anyway, here's his description:

White Male
    Short and Pudgy Build: About 5' 4" @ 200 lbs.
    18-20 years of age
    Spiky short dirty blonde hair
    Wore a long stringy goatee about 4" long, no mustache
    Was wearing yellow-tinted sunglasses
    Wore a white button-down shirt with the sleeves rolled-up
    Wore khaki shorts.

Anyway, I took pictures of 7801-7809 Hasbrook Avenue - the Centre Court Apartments. A resident heard me talking to my P.O.C. on the cell phone. My girlfriend used to live in this building about 15 years ago and told me that the same kind of mischief occurred back then. Obviously, this area has been a Fox Chase trouble spot for a long time.

I repaired what I could and will report the rest to C.L.I.P. and the PPD and include documentation and about 46 pictures. I want these little punks to GO TO JAIL!!!

Please post some of those pictures here if you can. I hadn't seen any graffitti in that area in a very long time, and it's sad that some asstards think it's just dandy to start again.
    Competition is indispensable to progress. John Stuart Mills.

Quote Originally Posted by Hospitalitygirl View Post
    Please post some of those pictures here if you can. I hadn't seen any graffitti in that area in a very long time, and it's sad that some asstards think it's just dandy to start again.
    I would post pictures, but that would only give the knuckleheads the notoriety they crave. The best thing to do is eradicate their graffiti and erase any chance of "fame and glory." These guys couldn't distinguish themselves athletically, academically, musically, and most definitely not artistically. They are little attention whores crying out "Look at me! Look at me! Why isn't anybody looking at me?" Well, if you did anything worthwhile maybe we will show you some attention. Vandalizing the neighborhood is not a way to call attention to yourselves and the attention that you do get won't be the kind you want. They will most like end up unemployed or underemployed schmucks still living in the mothers' basements in their 40s.

HGirl, its a new trend. It seems like every other wigger is a grafitti 'artist' nowadays. BUT they lay out crap tags that are FAR from art.

HGirl, its a new trend. It seems like every other wigger is a grafitti 'artist' nowadays. BUT they lay out crap tags that are FAR from art.
    There's a term that real graffiti artists have for these losers - "toys." Which means an inept, talentless writer - i.e. a tagger. Even these graffiti artists, who are no better than vandals themselves, have no respect for taggers. Taggers are to graffiti artists what child molesters are to criminals in the general prison population. I, myself, was once a graphic designer. What these taggers call "art" I consider no better than retarded chimpanzees throwing feces at a wall.

I would post pictures, but that would only give the knuckleheads the notoriety they crave.
    I doubt any of the taggers are here on PS, Lemko. Go ahead and post them.
    In fact, I'd love to see the NE Times run a followup story with pics of the tags and the description you have of the punk you caught.

Maybe every week they take a page and show some of the tags. Perhaps this would bring more attention to it and the community would pay more attention.
    Because clearly, the city isn't doing anything to get to the root of the problem by, for example, going into the schools or by doing any public service announcements.

Quote Originally Posted by Cya View Post
    .....Because clearly, the city isn't doing anything to get to the root of the problem by, for example, going into the schools or by doing any public service announcements.

Oh yes, lets ask the City to spend MORE money on wastful pamphlets and speeches.

Best way to resolve the problem, catch the fat loads of crap and make them not only clean up their tags, but every tag in every single neighborood that is plagued with graffitti...and while they're at it, clean up trash, dog sheet, horse sheet, clean out sewers...anything to make them think twice about destroying private or public property again.

I'd bet you they run somewhere else if they were actually FORCED to clean up.

Quote Originally Posted by drewrob23 View Post
    Why are you confused?

To get an idea of how much it costs to remove graffiti - here's the supplies I needed to clean up the mess at the 7800 blocks of Oxford and Hasbrook.

One gallon of Sherwin Williams Concord Buff = $27.00
    Two cans of solvent = $3.99 each
    One can of forest green spray paint = $4.50
    One can of brown spray paint = $4.50

My 3 hours of labor were free.

Not all of it is gone. These knuckleheads sprayed black and white graffiti on red brick masonry at 7801-7809 Hasbrook and 7800 Oxford. This requires a power washer. The cheapest one I saw was at Sears for $149.99 - that's assuming I have a power and water supply at hand. Without it, I need a generator and a trailer with a water tank in addition to whatever chemicals I would need for the solution to remove it. Now we're talking some BIG BUCKS! See how it all starts to add up? I'm sure I'm missing something. I'm going to have to call in C.L.I.P. for this mess.

You can get it off without a pressure washer. Use some paint stripper and a stiff brush. Let it sit over night, hose it off.

fyi, pressure washer in the wrong hands while working on brick or stone CAN cause a lot of damage.
    Chris
    Philadelphia Salvage
    Design Build

542 Carpenter Lane - Retail and Custom
    2234 W. Westmoreland "The Foundry"

"Anyone who would trade their freedom for safety
    deserves neither freedom or safety."

- Benjamin Franklin