Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Proposed Project in East spring garden

I noticed someone is proposing to renovate the long vacant building at 13th and ridge, adding one floor, for 16 units. the meeting is may 11 I think. anyone have more info? I hope this project goes through. it's an important perceptual step, I think, in unifying east and west spring garden.
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

Is this the triangle property bordered by Green on the south side? My girlfriend and I were walking to The Institute the other day and I commented on the fact that it was a decent looking building in need of a little love. Nice to hear that someone might make a go of it.

Quote Originally Posted by randomswathe View Post
    Is this the triangle property bordered by Green on the south side? My girlfriend and I were walking to The Institute the other day and I commented on the fact that it was a decent looking building in need of a little love. Nice to hear that someone might make a go of it.
    yep.
    Jonathan Safran Foer

Meeting tonight with Spring Garden Civic Association - may be where you will get your answer. There was a FOUR part newsletter delivered via email late last week - information on it may be have been included - I didn't read all four emails.

Quote Originally Posted by BadRomance View Post
    There was a FOUR part newsletter delivered via email late last week
    Yeah that was somewhat strange IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by BadRomance View Post
    Meeting tonight with Spring Garden Civic Association - may be where you will get your answer. There was a FOUR part newsletter delivered via email late last week - information on it may be have been included - I didn't read all four emails.
    I'm a long time member and never got these emails...

The meeting was uneventful. A good introduction to the new police captain, and a presentation of a book that deals with early development in the neighborhood. Interesting, but not a compelling meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I'm a long time member and never got these emails...
    They came from a new email address, so your email program may have routed them to your junk mail folder rather than your inbox

The new emails came from "noreply@springgarden.com" (and CC'd to "maryf@voicenet.com") while the old ones came from "springgardenciv@aol.com".

Interestingly enough, "www.springgarden.com" is the website of the Spring Garden Inn of Cape Cod, MA. A look at the email header shows it actually came from "sgcivic@springgardencivic.com". Very bizarre that they'd spoof the email address in that way. I would guess its just a goof-up when they set up their email program rather than a nefarious way to make it look like a tourism advertisement for Cape Cod...
    Last edited by Tartan69; 05-11-2011 at 09:57 AM.

although this project is in what was spring garden, the local organization is the notorious west poplar NAC. nonetheless, I'm curious if it will go through and we'll start seeing development in some of the empty lots just across broad
    Jonathan Safran Foer

Quote Originally Posted by eldondre View Post
    although this project is in what was spring garden, the local organization is the notorious west poplar NAC. nonetheless, I'm curious if it will go through and we'll start seeing development in some of the empty lots just across broad
    Historic Spring Garden extended, IIRC, down to 5th Street, but the West Poplar folks have a distinct neighborhood of their own and I don't see there being much hope of re-uniting the areas, though it would be a great idea. Of course there are many old timey neighborhoods that no longer maintain their identities.

although this project is in what was spring garden, the local organization is the notorious west poplar NAC.
    Just curious, as I don't know any of the history around it whatsoever, but why is it notorious?

nonetheless, I'm curious if it will go through and we'll start seeing development in some of the empty lots just across broad
    Maybe Eric Blumenfeld's efforts on the west side of Broad will continue to spread?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Historic Spring Garden extended, IIRC, down to 5th Street, but the West Poplar folks have a distinct neighborhood of their own and I don't see there being much hope of re-uniting the areas, though it would be a great idea. Of course there are many old timey neighborhoods that no longer maintain their identities.
    west poplar nac is mainly a political organization whose boundaries stretch from lehigh to spring garden. there is certainly some dissension in the ranks there, I suppose it's possible, if unlikely, the area bounded by the tracks, fairmount, and spring garden would be interested in joining. broad st is less of a barrier than the tracks. east of the tracks is definitely no longer "part of the neighborhood"

they're notorious for sinking projects.
    regarding blumenfeld, it's hard to believe that having a destination right there couldn't imapct east of broad. I mean, just stand there at 13th or lemon st..you're a block from broad...it's hard to believe it can continue to be that depressed. there's no real barrier at all. this project could be the first. it's only 16 units but it's an obvious blight and makes the area look worse.
    Jonathan Safran Foer

That is one of the most depressing buildings in the city. One floor has been sliced off the top and it hasn't been in use in a loooooooooong time. Not only that, but all the streets surrounding it used to have comparable buildings. Now it just has parking lots on every side. What a bummer.

Good effin luck to whoever is trying to develop it. Who would move into this thing? The location is a mess. Unless you're a patron of both the Buddhist Temple and Keyshia's Lounge, I see no reason you'd want to be there.

That area is not going to improve for a VERY long time. Maybe in the next 20 years we'll see an improvement on that section of Broad nearby.. but that's not until the entire west side of Broad is perfect. The east side is going to take much longer. You're not going to be able to force out the meineke and goodyear very easily unless the land becomes so valuable that the owners have no choice but to sell.

Once they're gone, you going to have to deal with the West Poplar buttheads which is a whole other can of worms.
    Philaphilia!!!!Learn about Old-ass Buildings, Butt-fugly architecture, Empty Lots, Lost Buildings, Mystery Buildings, Butt-fugly Public Art, Lost Bridges, Dead-ass Proposals, and all the other great stuff that Philaphiles love!

huh? it's one block from a new 100 unit apartment building at 15t and mt vernon. broad and mt vernon will soon be home to three restaurants (one from starr, a second one from vetri, and one from the cescaphe people), a flower shop, and a coffee shop so I don't think you'll have to wait 20 years for improvements to broad st. supposedly blatsteain will move forward at broad and spring garden in june...we'll see. Keyshia's is closed. I'd imagine people priced out of west of broad might consider it...that area is filling out quickly.
    Jonathan Safran Foer

huh? it's one block from a new 100 unit apartment building at 15t and mt vernon. broad and mt vernon will soon be home to three restaurants (one from starr, a second one from vetri, and one from the cescaphe people), a flower shop, and a coffee shop so I don't think you'll have to wait 20 years for improvements to broad st. supposedly blatsteain will move forward at broad and spring garden in june...we'll see. Keyshia's is closed. I'd imagine people priced out of west of broad might consider it...that area is filling out quickly.
    No matter how nice the west side of broad gets, the east side is going to take forever. You have to get rid of the meineke and goodyear, you have to get rid of that embattled homeless castle (good luck), and Rodeph Shalom is not going to give up their parking lot and new daycare center. All of that will become hopeless if the Divine Lorraine continues sitting empty.

Then as you move up North Broad the scam nonprofit People for People owns acres and acres of effed up properties west of broad under the name of their crooked front companies. Some defunct Jewish Temple still owns a bunch of lots around there too.

So I think 20 years is a hopeful number for how long it will take that section of broad to get better. I hope I'm wrong and your right.
    Philaphilia!!!!Learn about Old-ass Buildings, Butt-fugly architecture, Empty Lots, Lost Buildings, Mystery Buildings, Butt-fugly Public Art, Lost Bridges, Dead-ass Proposals, and all the other great stuff that Philaphiles love!

Quote Originally Posted by GroJLart View Post
    No matter how nice the west side of broad gets, the east side is going to take forever. You have to get rid of the meineke and goodyear, you have to get rid of that embattled homeless castle (good luck), and Rodeph Shalom is not going to give up their parking lot and new daycare center. All of that will become hopeless if the Divine Lorraine continues sitting empty.

Then as you move up North Broad the scam nonprofit People for People owns acres and acres of effed up properties west of broad under the name of their crooked front companies. Some defunct Jewish Temple still owns a bunch of lots around there too.

So I think 20 years is a hopeful number for how long it will take that section of broad to get better. I hope I'm wrong and your right.
    Defunct?! You mean Rodeph Shalom - very much in business...

No a different one that existed on the west side of broad 30-40 years ago. Did you not notice me mention Rodeph Shalom separately in my post?

Quote Originally Posted by GroJLart View Post
    why would they have to give up their daycare center? they are planning on sprucing it up this fall. in fact, they've taken a vacant plot and put it to good use. I understand it's doing quite well. the homeless castle is for sale. I also don't think you need ALL of Broad to be fixed to say that that section of broad has improved. I'd also add spaghetti warehouse is going to be a concert venue.

so does anyone know if this project was approved?
    Jonathan Safran Foer

the building in question
    Jonathan Safran Foer

looks like they've begun gutting the building (saw full dumpsters outside the building) so it may actually happen. east spring garden is starting to look more like francisville with the level of construction there. seems like as soon as some new homes are finished, foundations for more are dug.
    Jonathan Safran Foer

I wish I'd taken a pick of the monstrosity that had been covering up this otherwise attractive building. one hopes they are restoring this, anyone know what's up?
    Jonathan Safran Foer