Register
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Default Point Breeze Construction Permit Moratorium bill

Amending Title 14 of The Philadelphia Code, entitled “Zoning and Planning,” by adding a new Section prohibiting the issuance of any permit for the construction of buildings, additions or roof decks, exceeding a certain height, on certain properties within the Point Breeze area of the City and providing that such prohibition shall expire after a specified period of time, all under certain terms and conditions.
    Not a total moratorium... just trying to keep it two-story. Anti-gentrification, I assume?

I wonder what it will do to the three story homes with roof decks down there. Would it make them islands of gentrification with falling house values or would it make them the most desirable houses in the area allowing for return on investment?

Post Point Breeze Construction Permit Moratorium - No more new 3 story homes

§14-1643. Point Breeze Construction Permit Moratorium.

(1) Purpose. The purpose of this Section is to establish, in portions of the Point
    Breeze neighborhood, a moratorium on the issuance of permits for the construction of
    new buildings, additions or roof decks that exceed the height of most of the residences in this characteristically two-story residential neighborhood to give Council the opportunity to explore ways to preserve the uniformity of the streetscape and the current scale and density of the area.

(2) Moratorium Area. For purposes of this Section, the “Moratorium Area” shall
    include all residentially zoned properties located within the area bounded by Washington Avenue, Broad Street, Moore Street and 25th Street.

(3) Permit Moratorium. Within the Moratorium Area, and notwithstanding any
    underlying zoning classification, no permit shall be issued for the construction of any
    building exceeding two (2) stories in height or for any addition or roof deck extending
    above the height of the second story of any building.

(4) Sunset. The provisions of this Section shall expire one year after it became
    law.

SECTION 2. This Ordinance shall become effective immediately. [(03/03/2011)]

Anna must be doling out favors to friends before she leaves office

Quote Originally Posted by metroimpact View Post
    §14-1643. Point Breeze Construction Permit Moratorium.

(1) Purpose. The purpose of this Section is ... to explore ways to preserve the uniformity of the streetscape...
    Um, yeah. Council should preserve the Point Breeze streetscape like Greece preserves the Parthenon. It will leave people in awe thousands of years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
    Anna must be doling out favors to friends before she leaves office
    Sounds like doling out favors to Save Point Breeze.
    Philly people, learn your history.

Quote Originally Posted by Swinefeld View Post
    Sounds like doling out favors to Save Point Breeze.
    But the question is save it from what - continued deterioration or just to maintain the staunch democratic voting block?????

Way to stifle development. Let's see how many 2-story homes get built in the next year.

How is something so arbitrary legal?

There has got to be a way to challenge it....
    It is so asinine

Maybe two stories PLUS a mansard roof is a way around this idiotic bill. The mansard roof was originally designed to circumvent a tax on houses exceeding two stories in France.

I have two questions:

1. Has this been passed, or is it a proposed ordinance?
    2. Why is it being discussed in the SWCC forum? It seems to me that the appropriate venue for this conversation is the South Philadelphia forum.
    Laura Blanchard
    lb_philly@yahoo.com

[The "ignore" feature from your control panel is a great way to improve the civility of discourse on this bulletin board]

Quote Originally Posted by macdaire View Post

It is so asinine
    It should be illegal. Don't you just hate it when evil people win?

Quote Originally Posted by macdaire View Post

It is so asinine
    It may be challenged. But it's likely that would take more than the year the bill's in force unless a judge stayed the law. I'm also not sure it would be illegal. There are many laws about neighborhood character but they're usually not stand alone and are usually in some context like zoning, etc.

Unbelievable. the city basically made a moratorium on making the greys ferry a better place.
    "If you're going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh; otherwise they'll kill you."
    - attributed to both George Bernard Shaw & Oscar Wilde

"I never clean up after my dogs, because I have trained them to run with me off leash while I ride my bike the wrong way on the sidewalk."
    - LUCas
    Originally Posted by Dave L We need to focus on banning both singers who crap on the sidewalk and dogs that annoy people with their singing. - Mondo

But the question is save it from what - continued deterioration or just to maintain the staunch democratic voting block?????
    Some people would rather live in the squalor they know than live with the uncertainty of change.
    "If you're going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh; otherwise they'll kill you."
    - attributed to both George Bernard Shaw & Oscar Wilde

"I never clean up after my dogs, because I have trained them to run with me off leash while I ride my bike the wrong way on the sidewalk."
    - LUCas
    Originally Posted by Dave L We need to focus on banning both singers who crap on the sidewalk and dogs that annoy people with their singing. - Mondo

I'm sure you know it's more complex than that. It's like Nutter-Street or Fenty-Fox. All are Democrats but they appeal to different constituencies. It's about saving the constituency of specific council people who is courting a certain type of voter. The funny thing is there are ways to protect current residents without killing off growth in the area.

"explore ways to preserve the uniformity of the streetscape"

WHAT A JOKE. I can tell you how to "preserve the neighborhood." Open your front door and throw all your trash in the street, then smash out all your windows and don't do a damn thing to take care of your home. Fill up your back yard with even more trash, as well as a stolen grocery cart full of empties, plant your ass on your stoop and shout at your neighbors. Mission accomplished. If you're going to pass something like this, at least call it what it is. Anti-gentrification indeed. Shame on Anna Verna.

Wow! The reaction to this proposed ordinance is extraordinary and almost venous in scale. Everybody frightened that housing values may drop precipitously if Point Breeze allows 2-story homes to get rehabbed rather than torn down for new 3-family dwellings? Shouldn't we allow the folks in Point Breeze and Grays Ferry to make their own decision for their own neighborhood?
    Last edited by Coco; 03-09-2011 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Correction - changed "unless" to "if".

Don't assume that all Point Breeze residents support this nonsense. I live in Point Breeze and I am outraged and sickened at this blatant pandering to a small but vocal minority.

poor grad student MariusPontmercy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Wow! The reaction to this proposed ordinance is extraordinary and almost venous in scale. Everybody frightened that housing values may drop precipitously unless Point Breeze allows 2-story homes to get rehabbed rather than torn down for new 3-family dwellings? Shouldn't we allow the folks in Point Breeze and Grays Ferry to make their own decision for their own neighborhood?
    Really?
    "imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations hath diverse names" - Thomas Hobbes