Register
Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Default The official bicycle rant thread [split from another thread...not really started by Gladys]

that;s great! Its dangerous to share a lane with a bike. I went on a walk for a cause a few weeks back and there were bikes literally weaving in and out of the walkers. Professional looking bikes. They were so fast you didn't know they were behind you until they passed. Luckily no one made any sudden turns or jumps that got in the bikes' way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    that;s great! Its dangerous to share a lane with a bike. I went on a walk for a cause a few weeks back and there were bikes literally weaving in and out of the walkers. Professional looking bikes. They were so fast you didn't know they were behind you until they passed. Luckily no one made any sudden turns or jumps that got in the bikes' way.
    If the bikers were weaving in and out of the walkers, the walkers weren't staying over to the right the way they're supposed to. The Schuylkill River Trail is a multi-use trail that, to my mind, isn't wide enough for the multi uses. If I'm on my bike and there's some parent with a double-wide stroller plus a dog on the leash, I'm pretty well stuck. It's especially nice when the parent stops to commune with its progeny (or the dog) right there in the middle of the path.... then everyone is stuck.

P.S. If you were on a walk for a cause on the West River Drive, you were probably also cause for huge annoyance to the cyclists who have limited access to places where they can actually move at speed. I gnash my teeth whenever there's a walk/run over there. Not only does it impede my use of the WRD, it also means there is going to be hateful loud thumpa-thumpa music at some point along the way.
    Laura Blanchard
    lb_philly@yahoo.com

[The "ignore" feature from your control panel is a great way to improve the civility of discourse on this bulletin board]

WRD drive was supposed to be closed to the public for the walk but the bikers didn't care. Walkers were walking up one side and down the other as instructed. The bikers saw what was obvious but again, didn't care to alter their route. they were awful. sorry when there is a charity walk and you know it - alter your route. how hard can it be to respect your fellow user on those afternoons.

I've hit some of these events before while running. There isn't usually anything to let people know that the path is closed, and definitely no communication in advance. In general, I hope these events are cognizant of the intended use of the path. If the Marathon can leave room for people to run and ride bikes, it seems like a charity walk should as well.

WRD drive was supposed to be closed to the public for the walk but the bikers didn't care. Walkers were walking up one side and down the other as instructed. The bikers saw what was obvious but again, didn't care to alter their route. they were awful. sorry when there is a charity walk and you know it - alter your route. how hard can it be to respect your fellow user on those afternoons.
    Here is the official list of events on MLK drive for 2010.

http://www.fairmountpark.org/pdf/king_closures.pdf

It's virtually every day. Note that nothing on this says that the events are exclusive to the group and that the other users of the park are not allowed. No signs are posted when you enter MLK from the Schuylkll River Trail.

You're right. We don't care. We have exactly one four-mile stretch of road available to us two mornings a week in the warmer months and we think you charity walkers/runners should go find someplace else to do your thing. Or at least organize some central location where we could go to find out the schedule of road closings. (EDIT: Thanks, JugglerDave, for posting that list.) I get in a blind rage when I get up, check the paper, head out for a ride and wham! there's a bunch of folks with numbers pinned to their shirts impeding free movement.

EDIT II: As others have noted upthread, there is no warning to the biker/jogger who comes up the trail, and there's actually ample room for the charity folks to have one lane either way and leave the center lane for bikers (and the path for non-event walkers/runners). But no, they ooze out like bloated amoebas until they occupy all the space available. How the heck am I supposed to share the road with a bunch of walkers walking eight abreast???

Just sign me Ms. Cranky Pants on this issue.
    Last edited by lbphilly; 11-02-2010 at 03:34 PM.
    Laura Blanchard
    lb_philly@yahoo.com

[The "ignore" feature from your control panel is a great way to improve the civility of discourse on this bulletin board]

PB transplant

It wouldn't be so irritating if there were two or three big charity walks a year, but between those events and the regattas there's barely a weekend between April and October where there isn't some kind of impediment. There was a regatta this weekend, for example. Sorry, but that share-the-road thing cuts both ways. I won't fly at high speed past your walking group, but you don't get to walk 5 abreast and cut off the trail either.

Anyway, back to thread topic...is it *really* on for this Saturday? I'm very excited. Could maybe provide me with a new and safer way home (I *hate* biking on Chestnut).

Quote Originally Posted by lbphilly View Post
    You're right. We don't care. We have exactly one four-mile stretch of road available to us two mornings a week in the warmer months and we think you charity walkers/runners should go find someplace else to do your thing. Or at least organize some central location where we could go to find out the schedule of road closings. (EDIT: Thanks, JugglerDave, for posting that list.) I get in a blind rage when I get up, check the paper, head out for a ride and wham! there's a bunch of folks with numbers pinned to their shirts impeding free movement.

EDIT II: As others have noted upthread, there is no warning to the biker/jogger who comes up the trail, and there's actually ample room for the charity folks to have one lane either way and leave the center lane for bikers (and the path for non-event walkers/runners). But no, they ooze out like bloated amoebas until they occupy all the space available. How the heck am I supposed to share the road with a bunch of walkers walking eight abreast???

Just sign me Ms. Cranky Pants on this issue.
    Seriously!?!?! Seriously?!?! Of all the groups to talk about being considerate to others with shared spaces, I think that bicyclists and their complete denial of the fact that they too are supposed to obey traffic laws while riding, may not want to complain about occassionally being incovenienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaotic View Post
    Seriously!?!?! Seriously?!?! Of all the groups to talk about being considerate to others with shared spaces, I think that bicyclists and their complete denial of the fact that they too are supposed to obey traffic laws while riding, may not want to complain about occassionally being incovenienced.
    I said I was being Ms. Cranky Pants on this.

However, it's not a matter of "occasionally being inconvenienced." It's having to share the West River Drive with phalanxes of clueless charity event walkers/runners who don't seem to be aware that the road wasn't closed for their exclusive use -- on just about every weekend day that the Drive is closed. And not all cyclists are in "complete denial of the fact that" etc.

WRD is closed to cyclists three hours a day on weekdays (eastbound in the mornings, westbound in the afternoons) so that we don't intrude on commuting motorists. I don't think it's too much to ask that the charity folk and their organizers set it up so that the regular users have a clearly defined place to ride on the weekends. They don't, so we weave around them.

To tell you the truth, it has gotten to the point that I don't bike the Drives on the weekends any more. It's far more pleasant to bike through Point Breeze and Girard Estates and then ride around The Lakes.
    Laura Blanchard
    lb_philly@yahoo.com

Wait to you have Duck boats added to the mix - since there is no way to shut off West River / MLK except on the east side where it comes off of the Oval - precisely where the city wants to build a new Duck Boat driveway/ tube, just so they can splash in the water for 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by JugglerDave View Post

So i count 51 days - basically one weekend day a week - that the Ducks won't be able to enter the water from MLK and thats before you even get to the ethnic parades, etc. on the Parkway that shut down the Oval bun't don't touch West River Drive / MLK - but which will also shut down the proposed Duck Boat chute.

What a stupid plan. Weekends are prime tourist times, too. They should just make the Ducks go in the river south of the South St. bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    So i count 51 days - basically one weekend day a week - that the Ducks won't be able to enter the water from MLK and thats before you even get to the ethnic parades, etc. on the Parkway that shut down the Oval bun't don't touch West River Drive / MLK - but which will also shut down the proposed Duck Boat chute.

What a stupid plan. Weekends are prime tourist times, too. They should just make the Ducks go in the river south of the South St. bridge.
    I think they should build a Duck Tunnel under the CSX tracks at Locust Point and let them waddle into the river just below the Walnut Street Bridge. Wouldn't that be a big hit with the folks who live in Rit-Fit?

(And no, I'm not being serious. I am imagining the engineering involved and getting a headache.)
    Laura Blanchard
    lb_philly@yahoo.com

...bicyclists and their complete denial of the fact that they too are supposed to obey traffic laws while riding...
    blah, blah, blah, blah, blah....

As a group, bicyclists obey traffic laws as much as motorists--and, yes, pedestrians--in this town.

"Obeying laws" is also irrelevant to your point...
    The right wing never wants to be satisfied. They are professional whiners.
    They are never happy. So donít kill yourself trying.

--Ken Duberstein (Ronald Reaganís Chief of Staff),
    advising John McCain on his VP selection

Quote Originally Posted by niel View Post
    I won't fly at high speed past your walking group, but you don't get to walk 5 abreast and cut off the trail either.
    I employ a VERY loud whistle left over from my kayaking days. It works on motor vehicles, and does wonders for wandering HUA pedestrians as well.

Ok its armageddon i'm sure but THANK YOU KAOTIC. With all this talk about bikers being very courteous to walkers the truth is out. Look up the schedule, its posted and available to the public. You know sat and sunday are walk times. You are on the computer. Check it out before you leave. if there is a walk go the other way. Simple. Reasonable solution.

Even if someone DOES come upon a walk they don't think is there its still no excuse to zip your way through a crowd of people including some disabled, elderly, young children, and yes dogs.

Yes Ms. Cranky pants i'm surprised at you above all people. If a biker has an issue with where these charity walks are held they need to take it up with the city. Not endanger people trying to help a cause, licensed by the city. I think in this case bikers need a rally for sanity. Its not reasonable what happens. And I am serious. There were several near disasters I saw and experienced. Its only a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by JugglerDave View Post

It's virtually every day. Note that nothing on this says that the events are exclusive to the group and that the other users of the park are not allowed. No signs are posted when you enter MLK from the Schuylkll River Trail.

Thank you so much for showing the printed schedule is available and that bikers are aware that these happen frequently. So they should be ready and plan accordingly. Go for a ride in the afternoon after its over. But don't zip along nearly running people down. I was shocked to see bikers, it was so egregious i was hoping i swerved the wrong way not knowing just to teach them a lesson.

again - take it up with the city, start a letter writing campaign. Whatever. Just don't take it out on the generations of families walking to honor a loved one for whatever reason. Most of these people do not live in the city. The behavior of the cyclists i ran into that day was ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Digthepast View Post
    I employ a VERY loud whistle left over from my kayaking days. It works on motor vehicles, and does wonders for wandering HUA pedestrians as well.
    I love it when cyclists use whistles.

That's another thing i was stunned about. A whistle would have been fabulous. That would solve the problem of people not knowing were you were.. You would know where the bike was and adjust. That's very considerate. these guys weren't even saying any thing at all... stealth bikers. The new bikes you can't hear at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mmangino View Post
    I've hit some of these events before while running. There isn't usually anything to let people know that the path is closed, and definitely no communication in advance. In general, I hope these events are cognizant of the intended use of the path. If the Marathon can leave room for people to run and ride bikes, it seems like a charity walk should as well.
    I'm sure the participants don't know. I know i didn't. Had absolutely no idea. You're right the city should post at the entrances about the event, for those who don't know enough to check on line. Either close it officially, very odd its not anyway, or move the charity walk somewhere else. Where i don't know. I think the city must make money with every walk done. Eventually someone, or their dog, will get run over and die . then something will be done. Its an obvious problem that when it takes place, will be ripe for a huge law suit. Which will cost the city big. Some things are so obvious. It's stupid the way its set up.

yup eeyore is in the house... Oh why couldn't i have thought of that as my name. Gladys works too.
    Last edited by Gladys; 11-03-2010 at 12:01 AM.

Even if someone DOES come upon a walk they don't think is there its still no excuse to zip your way through a crowd of people including some disabled, elderly, young children, and yes dogs.
    Go for a ride in the afternoon after its over. But don't zip along nearly running people down. I was shocked to see bikers, it was so egregious i was hoping i swerved the wrong way not knowing just to teach them a lesson... Just don't take it out on the generations of families walking to honor a loved one for whatever reason. Most of these people do not live in the city. The behavior of the cyclists i ran into that day was ridiculous.
    A whistle would have been fabulous. That would solve the problem of people not knowing were you were.. You would know where the bike was and adjust. That's very considerate. these guys weren't even saying any thing at all... stealth bikers. The new bikes you can't hear at all.
    Eventually someone, or their dog, will get run over and die . then something will be done. Its an obvious problem that when it takes place, will be ripe for a huge law suit. Which will cost the city big. Some things are so obvious. It's stupid the way its set up.
    This probably deserves its own thread.

I've noticed that, on the trails east and west of the river, walkers behave like they're on a sidewalk. They need to realize that they're not. They're on a multi-use trail. That means that there will be vehicles travelling a lot faster than they are. It means that as the slower traffic, they need to keep to the right, use caution when passing, and be aware of their surroundings, just as they would if crossing the street.

Bicyclists will not be walking their bikes because there are pedestrians there.

I certainly hope that charity walk organizers cover these issues thoroughly in printed materials and talks prior to their walks. It would certainly be prudent of them to do so.

This probably deserves its own thread.
    This.
    I've noticed that, on the trails east and west of the river, walkers behave like they're on a sidewalk. They need to realize that they're not.
    I agree. Though I admit to being guilty of this, not being a regular walker on these trails. I think better (more obvious) signs and trail markings would go a long way.