Register
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1

    Default Where do older adults hang out?

    Hello,

    My mother just moved here to South Philadelphia from upstate NY. She is a young 60 year old who is very social. For the life of me I can not think of any places in South Philly or in Philadelphia in general where an older crowd hangs out? Are there any social groups out there, what bars have a crowd her age, are there any places that play live music where people her age go. If anyone has any insight into this I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Champion of the Sun Dayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Fairmount
    Posts
    5,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Paine
    “The World is my country, all Mankind are my brethren, and to do Good is my religion.”

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SWCC otherwise known as Graduate Hospital
    Posts
    117

    Default

    Have her check out the YMCA - several 'Active' older adult groups/classes. 17th & Christian. Or check out the other senior centers and rec centers for other groups and meetings. Good luck!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Litter Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    S philly
    Posts
    4,766

    Default

    There are a number of senior centers in South Philadelphia. One is near the Acme at Passyunk and Reed. I have a feeling that they may not be what your mother is looking for but you could look at it. Good luck.
    But all in all, it's been a fabulous year for Laura and me.
    12/21/2001 White House release: President Highlights

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    twilight zone
    Posts
    190

    Default

    The Casino, AC & Bensalem.

    The photo of the bone yard was totally ignorant

  6. #6
    Philaphile Oladybug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Packer Park, South Philly
    Posts
    1,558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cherrybomb View Post
    The photo of the bone yard was totally ignorant
    For once we agree. Maybe I have no sense of humor but I know I wouldn't be laughing if someone suggested that's where my mother should be.
    "It's not the bullet with my name on it that worries me; it's the one that says, 'To Whom It May Concern.'"
    -- Anonymous resident of Belfast, Ireland

  7. #7
    Champion of the Sun Dayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Fairmount
    Posts
    5,383

    Default

    We all die someday. Get a sense of humor. And actually it's quite apt, if we're going to use the word ignorant properly and not in the Micheal Jackson way.

    Besides Laurel Hill is one of my favorite places in the city.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Paine
    “The World is my country, all Mankind are my brethren, and to do Good is my religion.”

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Devil's Pocket
    Posts
    1,704

    Default

    Ahem. Many people who are 60 or nearing 60 do not think of themselves as 'seniors' and would never consider going to a senior center. I would suggest that your mother follow her interests and find like-minded people regardless of their ages. Your local civic organization, a book-reading club, arts classes (like Fleisher), the YMCA, classes at TUCC are places to start. She might also consider volunteering somewhere like PhillyPAWS, Mighty Writers or your local library branch. Volunteer Match is a good place to look for opportunities. She could become a friend of your community park. We are fortunate to live in a large city where one can find a group to suit nearly any interest. Socializing with people of all ages provides a much richer experience than restricting oneself to an age-sorted peer group, imho.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    SWCC - Woo hoo!!
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by devilspocket View Post
    Ahem. Many people who are 60 or nearing 60 do not think of themselves as 'seniors' and would never consider going to a senior center. I would suggest that your mother follow her interests and find like-minded people regardless of their ages. Your local civic organization, a book-reading club, arts classes (like Fleisher), the YMCA, classes at TUCC are places to start. She might also consider volunteering somewhere like PhillyPAWS, Mighty Writers or your local library branch. Volunteer Match is a good place to look for opportunities. She could become a friend of your community park. We are fortunate to live in a large city where one can find a group to suit nearly any interest. Socializing with people of all ages provides a much richer experience than restricting oneself to an age-sorted peer group, imho.
    While I've another decade to reach this age group, sheeeez...I could not imagine hanging out at a senior citizen center!! Bingo wings, anyone?!?

    For music, have her check out the Kimmel Center/info kiosk. They've schedules of "free" concerts and events; ditto for Curtis Institute, etc. The art museums offer a host of opportunities to meet others; the Free Library's lecture series attract like minded folks; the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society is great if she is into gardening; for the historical side to Philadelphia architecture, the Preservation Alliance offers walking tours etc., etc.

  10. #10
    Senior Member ShoshTrvls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Queen Village
    Posts
    3,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post
    Hello,

    My mother just moved here to South Philadelphia from upstate NY. She is a young 60 year old who is very social. For the life of me I can not think of any places in South Philly or in Philadelphia in general where an older crowd hangs out? Are there any social groups out there, what bars have a crowd her age, are there any places that play live music where people her age go. If anyone has any insight into this I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
    Your mother might look into social groups associated with her local church or synagogue. When my mother moved here under similar circumstances, she joined a local synagogue and got involved with several of their social activity groups (book group, volunteering at a local school, etc.)

  11. #11

    Default

    just tell her to go to "the google" and do a look-up on the internet for something interesting for her age like canasta or sending chain emails.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Passyunk Square
    Posts
    251

    Default

    Are alumni or alumnae clubs (college, sorority) a possibility?

  13. #13
    What? Me Worry?
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    105

    Default

    South Philly Stringband hosts a doo-wop night on Wednesdays. Call first to make sure it's on. It's 20 bucks at the door and includes a buffet. The doo-wop singers are live, well barely, but live.
    more info

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lower Moyamensing
    Posts
    34

    Default

    I suggest your mom put his link in her favorites: http://www.meetup.com/find/ This is a great site that connects people to groups that have interest and activities of every type and for all ages. I have signed up to be notified of meetups from a couple of existing groups and get regular reminders but, she can just browse the possibilities as she wishes and meetup with those that interest her. She will be amazed at the variety of things open to her.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    997

    Default

    Take your Mom to EPX. I've found that there is a great diversity of ages out and about. While I wouldn't recommend The Cantina, Paradiso has a great bar with an older crowd. There are probably other locations as well. Getting out and just interacting with people is a great way of finding a place to hang out.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    South Philly
    Posts
    490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cherrybomb View Post
    The Casino, AC & Bensalem.

    The photo of the bone yard was totally ignorant
    I lawl'd. I agree it was kinda terrible,though...

  17. #17
    Senior Member sbombs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    South Philly
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Which neighborhood is she in? She could try the corner bar there. Or maybe try a yoga class or the gym?

    My parents are about this age and would die before playing bingo or going to the senior center... unless my dad's band was playing there or something. haha

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dayman View Post
    boom roasted.

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •