Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default "I Like Mt. Airy" license plate

Hi, sorry if this has been brought up in another thread, but how does one procure the green "I like Mt. Airy" front-license plate?

I just got a car and I do indeed like Mt. Airy, so I'm interested in getting one.

Thanks

Be aware that the requirements include a rainbow decal...and the plates will only fit on old Volvo's or Subarus.(which already have the rainbow decal).

i think you can get them at weaver's way coop at carpenter and greene.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcat View Post
    Be aware that the requirements include a rainbow decal...and the plates will only fit on old Volvo's or Subarus.(which already have the rainbow decal).
    That's a relief, I don't have to worry about it clashing with the Sierra and Appalachian Mount Club decals on my 4-door hatchback with mandatory bike-rack.
    Last edited by jslondon85; 06-24-2010 at 08:35 PM.

It's funny because it's true...

If I correctly understand the original comment, then it's not particularily funny at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeppoloveskafka View Post
    If I correctly understand the original comment, then it's not particularily funny at all.

Lighten up zeppieboy.

You forgot, there is an after market piece that will allow it to go on a Toyota Prius.

As for getting the plates, I think Weavers Way has them and I saw them in a store on G-town last First Friday, I think across from Umbria. We had a great meal by the way at Umbria.
    Chris
    Philadelphia Salvage
    Design Build

542 Carpenter Lane - Retail and Custom
    2234 W. Westmoreland "The Foundry"

"Anyone who would trade their freedom for safety
    deserves neither freedom or safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

Lighten up zeppieboy.
    You're pretty much saying "you'd have to be gay to want that license plate, no?" If not, then please explain the joke to me? Perhaps I'd give someone else the benefit of the doubt, but considering your previous comments suggest you are quite homophobic and antigay people, I think it was just an insult I'd expect to hear in a middle school. Do you make these types of comments in public places too, or just on online threads?

You're pretty much saying "you'd have to be gay to want that license plate, no?" If not, then please explain the joke to me? Perhaps I'd give someone else the benefit of the doubt, but considering your previous comments suggest you are quite homophobic and antigay people, I think it was just an insult I'd expect to hear in a middle school. Do you make these types of comments in public places too, or just on online threads?

You must be popular around the holidays.

Yes, and it was funny. But I only laughed though because I 'hate teh gayz'.

Do you ever wonder why you're so often the only person who gets so outraged? It might not be because the rest of us are so horrible. Just saying.

It's a lame, and quite tired, 'joke'.

well, i think it could also be seen as you have to support "the gays"...but in either case, i agree with politburo that the joke is lame and the remarks from jazzcat re: mt. airy are tired.

Some people here are mighty sensitive. . . or at least are wishing to project their suspicion of intent onto others in an ambiguous case.

It didn't read that way to me.

I thought it was harmless comment on the uniformity of diversity so often witnessed in the form of political/ideological stickers plastered on cars in some neighborhoods.

Oh well, guess that makes me a homophobe now?

Please.

Jason

I used to live in Mt. Airy. I'd like to live there again. I shop at the co-op. My old car (not a Subaru) had Sierra Club and XPN stickers. I was going to buy a new Subaru but went with a cheaper option.

Yesterday I was driving down Carpenter on my way to HPC and I counted no fewer than 9 Subaru's on two blocks. I laughingly pointed it out to my puzzled gf. It's likely I'll laugh again in the future and continue to point such things out.

I should also add that the next time I see a "My Dog Digs Mt Airy" car magnet, I am buying it for my car.

Quote Originally Posted by sometimesilie View Post

You must be popular around the holidays.

Yes, and it was funny. But I only laughed though because I 'hate teh gayz'.

Do you ever wonder why you're so often the only person who gets so outraged? It might not be because the rest of us are so horrible. Just saying.
    I don't wonder. I assume it's a lot easier to make a derogatory comment or to condone it, then to stand up and call it for what it is. I don't think this forum is a cross section of society... most people with my beliefs are probably turned off by the negativity of these threads and don't reply. For instance online threads would tell you Nutter's popularity is around 10%, when in reality it's quite strong.

I'm all for a good joke. In this case the joke was, "if you like Mt. Airy enough to have a bumpersticker that says it, you are gay." Perhaps my sense of humor is too sophisticated to appreciate the intricacies of the joke.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonMcElroy View Post
    Some people here are mighty sensitive. . . or at least are wishing to project their suspicion of intent onto others in an ambiguous case. It didn't read that way to me.
    I thought it was harmless comment on the uniformity of diversity so often witnessed in the form of political/ideological stickers plastered on cars in some neighborhoods.
    Agreed. IMO MtAiry (esp WMA, the part 98% of people refer to, and dream of) isn't very 'diverse' at all IMO. Beautiful homes, great terrain, low crime, good neighbors, decent proximity to CC - I would like it too if I lived there...and I don't put stickers on my cars
    Like PS on Facebook!

Gee zeppie I thought we wuz friends.

Now I am both antigay and homophobic because I think that it makes sense to me that the Boy Scouts do good things in Philly, and it would be a loss to the youth here if they left? I get it....if I do not fly a rainbow flag, march in parades, then I am both antigay and homophobic.

AND I am a (cyber) bully?( I already offered to meet you in person, and already suggested that you pm me over our differences...and you have not).

People who actually know me understand that while I do have opinions, no one has accused me of being a bully.

WHY do you both make and take this so personally?

I made a joke...perhaps lame....but based on observations from living here many years....you are kinda new, right?

So you never observed that Subarus are popular among Lesbians, going back to having Martina Navratilova as an endorser?

Because my lesbian and gay friends think it is true...and a stereotype..and funny.

Mt Airy is "gay friendly", so that is why you may see many more rainbow decals and bumper stickers here....compared to other places

AND there sure seems to be many old Volvos around, don't you think?

Many with "GFS" decals...so I must be anti quaker as well?

I should have added to the post the need for a Weavers Way sticker too!
    (I guess that hurts your sensibilities too).

How about, "I heart birkenstocks" sticker?

Or a vintage, "Free Mumia" sticker?

You wrote that "perhaps someone else I would give the benefit of doubt", but I have not seen you give anyone any benefit of doubt ever.

You are smug and self important zippie....and above all, humorless.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonMcElroy View Post
    Some people here are mighty sensitive. . . or at least are wishing to project their suspicion of intent onto others in an ambiguous case.

It didn't read that way to me.

Oh well, guess that makes me a homophobe now?

Please.

Jason
    Thanks for getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
    and I don't put stickers on my cars
    Stickers are for grade-school lunchboxes.

Lunchbox politics is part of the problem. Stifles discussion. Discourages dissent in those wishing to avoid having scripted conversations with the close-minded.

If everything one professes to believe is posted on the back of an automobile I guess there's no point in debate. Changing opinions is tough when it involves having to constantly break out the Goo Gone.

Jason