Register
    Administrator

Default Old Les Bon Temps to become Tweed

Finally got to check out this place! New Orleans themed place with some dishes that reminded me a bit of New Orleans. I think they were trying a bit too hard on the plates, mixing too many different foods on one dish. So My chicken dish had Chicken with some kind of gravy, and onion. Then there was a collard/red pepper /celery, potato thing which was a little much for me on one plate but heck I am mad picky, so take it with a grain of salt.

Will I go back, yeah just to get a taste of NOLA but this place won't come close to filling that space in my stomach for real new orleans food.

Quote Originally Posted by wilreynolds View Post
    Finally got to check out this place! New Orleans themed place with some dishes that reminded me a bit of New Orleans. I think they were trying a bit too hard on the plates, mixing too many different foods on one dish. So My chicken dish had Chicken with some kind of gravy, and onion. Then there was a collard/red pepper /celery, potato thing which was a little much for me on one plate but heck I am mad picky, so take it with a grain of salt.

Will I go back, yeah just to get a taste of NOLA but this place won't come close to filling that space in my stomach for real new orleans food.
    I liked the jambalaya a lot, the sapce is beautiful and they make some pretty mean drinks.

Chef Luke Palladino, who oversees Specchio and Ombra plus the casual Risi Bisi at the Borgata in Atlantic City, is leasing the space that last housed Les Bons Temps at 114 S. 12th St. for an Italian wine bar/restaurant. (This morning, Foobooz.com posted what it described as a rumor that the place was "sold" to an unnamed Borgata chef and that it would reopen as an Italian restaurant.)

Palladino's cuisine will be regional Italian based on his travels; the restaurant's name is still under wraps.

Palladino's partner is Philly-born Eddie Bianchini, former owner of Hotel Les Muscadins in Mougins, France, and the Lenox Room in New York.

They're aiming to open in two months.
    The Insider - philly.com

The building at 114 S. 12th St. in Washington Square West, which has been a series of restaurants both memorable and forgettable (Odeon, Bistro Bix, Les Bons Temps) and a dance club called TPDS, is to get new life in the spring.

Name: Cafe Maurice.

Chef: David Cunningham, whose been around the block a few times (Yardley Inn and Old Original Bookbinder's around here, Petrossian and Lenox Room in NYC).

Owner: Edward Bianchini, a Mount Airy native who moved to France 25 years ago and opened Les Muscadins, a restraurant/hotel in the south of France. He operated it for 18 years, and believes he is the only American to get a Michelin star. From the mid-1990s, he also was a partner for 10 years at the Lenox Room.

After he sold Les Muscadins, "I thought I was retired. But I was always enamored of the idea of duplicating what I did in France here in the United States."

He thought of his hometown.

(The project has been kicking around for a bit; chef Luke Palladino's name was attached to it earlier this year, but Bianchini said nothing was signed.)

Opening is scheduled for spring.
    The Insider - philly.com
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

Tweed is the name of the restaurant coming to 114 S. 12th Street, last the home of Les Bons Temps. Though it won’t be ready until June, we’re told that the concept, decor and food will convey a sense of “relaxed sophistication,” not unlike that dapper jacketed gentleman to the right. Argh so effortless!

Owner Edward W. Bianchini, a native of Philly, is back in his hometown after time spent opening the Michelin Star-bearing Hotel les Muscadins in Mougins, France and the Lenox Room with Charlie Palmer in New York. Tweed is being designed/built by URBANSPACEDEVELOPMENT, responsible for places like Capogiro, Noble, APO and Sampan. (For what it’s worth, we heard Jun Aizaki’s name — he does Jose Garces‘ spots — attached to this project for a minute, but are equally excited to see how USD interprets what is one hell of a unique space.)

Chef David Cunningham, who’s cooked everywhere from Bookbinder’s here in Philly to Lespinasse and Le Bernardin in NYC, will helm Tweed’s kitchen, and we’re told the food will skew farm-fresh, organic and local. Here are a few sample dishes off his menu, which is still pending:

* Cheesesteak Fritters: Grass fed sirloin sauteed and blended with cheese and dipped in fritter batter. Served crispy with a tomato and caramelized onion dipping sauce.
    * Lamburger: Local ground lamb grilled and topped with sheep’s milk yogurt, mint and kerby cucumbers.
    * Sauteed Mulard Duck Breast: Served sliced with creamy cornmeal and a cider- espresso glaze
    * Floating Spice Islands: Variation on the classic with fragrant spices, maple syrup and pistachios
    Early word on Tweed :: Meal Ticket :: Food Blog :: Philadelphia City Paper
    Jonathan Safran Foer

looks like someone finally had the bad taste to destroy this beautiful space. looks like your average modern crap
    Tweed: Twill open Thursday | Philadelphia Inquirer | 06/07/2010
    The balconies and grand staircase are there, sort of. They’ve been streamlined and brought into the 21st century, as has the entire restaurant. Owner Edward Bianchini said that after he took over the building last year, he realized that more than mere cosmetic work was necessary.
    Jonathan Safran Foer

The space is rather elegant. I love the opening/entryway to the restaurant. And the food and cocktails are wonderful.
    Competition is indispensable to progress. John Stuart Mills.

has anyone eaten here? are the beers bottles or drafts?
    http://media.philly.com/documents/Tweed_menu.pdf

menu looks interesting, though I'm not sure about the duckburger
    Jonathan Safran Foer

Quote Originally Posted by eldondre View Post
    has anyone eaten here? are the beers bottles or drafts?
    http://media.philly.com/documents/Tweed_menu.pdf

menu looks interesting, though I'm not sure about the duckburger
    I have, and we had cocktails, so I don't recall, but I think it's draft beers. Also, the food is very good, and I want to go back and have the scallops.
    Competition is indispensable to progress. John Stuart Mills.